News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 Clock

Started by Corey Bowcutt, January 03, 2019, 11:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

Since I have my dash and instrument cluster apart I thought it might be a good time to try and get the clock working.  Is there a common cause or fix for a non working clock?  Is there someone who fixes them?  Are there any working clocks available for sale?

Corey

Coralsnake

The most common cause is corrosion or just being dirty. Sometimes a good cleaning will bring it back to life. There are small contacts on the back side. There are several vendors that service the clocks, but most people just replace the mechanical movement with a new quartz mechanism. This can be done quite easily and usually takes about twenty minutes.

67_1183

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/interior-electrical/1610-how-to-fix-a-mustangs-stock-clock-mechanism/

Some of the details of cleaning the points, broken springs etc. or replacement with quartz movement.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Bob Gaines

One of the worst things for the old style clock movement is when you let your battery go dead . The low voltage at some point allows the points in the clock to arc and building up carbon which later keeps the clock from powering up and winding. You can easily tell a quartz modification from original by the sweep of the second hand. The quartz has a smooth sweep. The original movement has the tick tick tick sweep.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you all, this is all very helpful.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

The "tick tock" movement is great, try for that
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

tesgt350

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on January 03, 2019, 02:53:03 PM
The "tick tock" movement is great, try for that

SO, the "Tick Tock" movement is different than the "Tick Tick Tick?     ::)

;D

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Everyone knows that "tick, tick, tick" is a bomb
"Tick tock" is a clock
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on January 03, 2019, 05:57:18 PM
Everyone knows that "tick, tick, tick" is a bomb
"Tick tock" is a clock

I concur, tick tick tick = boom

Nice one Steve

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Corey Bowcutt

I had great success this weekend getting my clock to work.  When I took the rear cover off the clock it was clear I had at least two issues.  First my contacts were badly pitted and secondly something was prevented the movement from moving.  I cleaned the movement by pouring isopropyl alcohol (91%) over it and even let is soak for 20-30 seconds in a cup of the alcohol.  Once I did that the movement started working until the alcohol evaporated.  The alcohol was acting as a lubricant but once it evaporated it stoped working.  Then I got some clock lube with a very fine application tip and lubricated all the moving joints.  The clock then worked beautifully.  Then it was time to see if the electric winder worked.  I filed the contacts and then hooked up a 12 volt DC power source and it worked perfectly.  I have left it hooked to the source to see how well it keeps time.  After a day or two I will reinstall the rear cover and I should be good to go.

Thanks for all the help.

68stangcjfb

I've taken apart at least 40 car clocks in GMs and Fords. In most cases, a little lubricant (I use WD40) and filing the solenoid contacts is all it takes to get them going again. If they don't work, it's usually a worn out clock spring or a burned out solenoid.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special