Author Topic: Arning drop questions.  (Read 4227 times)

1967 eight barrel

Arning drop questions.
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:50:32 PM »
If you made the modification I have a couple of questions if you'd be so kind.

-Keith

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Arning drop questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:49:13 PM »
...OK, so what are the questions?

There are a number of people on this site that have done this over the years, me included.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 02:42:33 AM »
JD:
My vehicle has the Arning drop. It wasn't done at my hand, but I elected to use the relocated upper control arm holes when the vehicle was reassembled.  It seemed almost too low with the TMC coil springs with the Arning drop. I wound up adding a 1" poly spring seat/spacer. 
The vehicle seems a bit soft suspension wise, and for some reason I remember their original offering when I bought the springs having a rate of 520lb.   I called Total Control Products and was told that TMC springs tended to be in the 460-500 LB/IN range and slightly short and soft.  I ordered their 1" lower springs with a 640 LB/IN rate today.  I am thinking about also using their 1/2" spring seat/spacer when they are installed. I don't want to start dragging my 6114 Hooker headers on the pavement.

Anyway, what springs are others using with the drop. Did they find the front end stiffened up has less roll with the 1" sway bar?
Did it create issues like bump steer and did they wind up using a bump steer correction kit?  If so, which one?

-Keith

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:33:56 AM »
The stock springs are way too soft to use. I used a new set of the "Boss 302 Chassis Modification" springs with a 1" polly spacer, Koni shocks, -3/4 degree camber, 3/16" toe, 1-1/8" front anti-sway bar.

On my '68, I went with the full 1-1/2" drop with ball joint spacers. On that car it has JBA headers that tuck up better but it has no ground clearance issues.

Tires are BFG 235-60-15's on 10 spokes. You can put your fingers between the tires and the fender lips.

The big block is different because of the added engine weight. The only thing that you can do there is put the battery in the trunk and go to an aluminum head. Then the chassis travel will work for you.

One factor that few notice though on the 500 is that the engine is installed about 2" further forward then the small block so all things are not equal, BB vs. sb.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 08:50:56 AM »
I would not suggest a arning drop on a GT500 for a GT350 yes but for a Big Block car its a bad mod that only cause problems. A lot of people did the Arning Drop on Big Block Mustangs and were not satisfied. It has to do with the weight distribution small block vs big block why its working on sb mustangs and not working on bb mustangs. With the drop on a bb mustang the nose get down more so the weight is more on the front wheels and it will bring nothing than the same problem before a nose heavy mustang, you should change the motor mounts to get the engine closer to the firewall that will affect the handling positive.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 11:13:39 AM »
I did the drop on #1317 more than 35 years ago in Sweden and replaced the power steering with a manual one at the same time.
My GT500 is equipped with a 289 HiPo but retains it's original big block springs. With 235/60/15 Good Years Eagle IIs it's a bit heavy to park but runs like a charm around corners. Would only change it if I go back to the original 428 engine.
Texas Swede

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 11:15:55 AM »
     I am amazed at how many have done the modification that are not "corner racers" .  To do the mod on a street car that doesn't see serious track time is a total waste of time and energy!  Driving to a car show is not driving on a race track and I doubt the modification would alter the time needed to get there.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 11:22:53 AM »
     I am amazed at how many have done the modification that are not "corner racers" .  To do the mod on a street car that doesn't see serious track time is a total waste of time and energy!  Driving to a car show is not driving on a race track and I doubt the modification would alter the time needed to get there.
The mod sure makes carving onramps more fun. I've done it to all my 65-70 Mustangs the only "serious" track time was COCOA Willow events. If the car will see spirited driving at all it's worth doing. Stock height/wt springs work just fine for the occasional track car. Too many experts want to sell you the latest wiz bang stuff just to line their own pockets.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 12:31:35 PM »
Too many experts want to sell you the latest wiz bang stuff just to line their own pockets.

At least we aren't disucussing shaving the shock towers and installing coil-overs!   ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 04:32:16 PM »
No, I am not going to start "hacking" the vehicle up. What I did is easily returned. So no coil overs, air bags or other mods of that nature.  The arning drop is done. I just thought it seemed a bit soft to me.
I have no business playing with this a week and a half post open heart surgery, but I am bored stiff and I'm not a pain baby.
It'd be nice to get a few miles on the car. I just have to wait until my ribs heal. I just got released to drive yesterday, but I know rowing a four speed through the gears I'm not quite ready for.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 05:16:33 PM »
I personally think that it is a very worthwhile change to make. With it you can actually steer the car rather then aim it like an arrow.

I've had it in the car since 1972 and have never regretted it.

I will say though that it is just one step in making the car handle. Every one of the "Boss 302 chassis modification" books items helps a little. When you put a lot of littles together in one place you get a lot of improvement.

The 680 # spring cut one coil and with a 1" poly spacer is what you want for the street. It is not a hard riding spring. You also need radial tires as well.

Keep those concrete Goodyear polyglass ones for shows. That is all they are good for an all they are safe for.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 11:13:22 PM »
I also  would drop all cars that are going to be driven . I have done many thru the years and it makes a big difference in the feel of the car .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 06:00:54 AM »
We maybe should do a thread about suspension/ steering mods that are easy to do and didnt affect the originality to much. I like upgrades like roller bearing control arms etc. yes not concours but also not a heidt front end ;-)
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 08:43:57 AM »
We maybe should do a thread about suspension/ steering mods that are easy to do and didnt affect the originality to much. I like upgrades like roller bearing control arms etc. yes not concours but also not a heidt front end ;-)

The drop is easy to do. It is also very effective. There are other things that CAN be done with it as well to make it more effective, but those are optional.

The only caution would be if you wanted to seriously compete in Concourse. Then leave it alone. Otherwise if you are so much of a nerd that you are afraid of this modification, some kind of public humilation, then stick to playing your video games and collecting Match Box miniatures. Maybe kool designer sneakers too? Those can't hurt you. What are you even doing with a real car to begin with anyway?  ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:03:03 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 01:46:23 PM »
You are right...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:57:05 PM by Kent »