News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 GT350 partial spec GT350's with protective cover/wrap on rear brake line

Started by 6s1640, January 03, 2019, 10:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

I was thumbing through the Virginia Classic Mustang website and came across a part that VCM is selling for 1966 GT350 partial spec (AKA carryover) cars.  It is a protective cover/wrap that installs around the rear axle brake lines near the override traction bar brackets, assumed to be protecting the brake line from chafing.  I had not seen or heard of this cover/wrap before.  I have several questions:

1)  Was this a brake line chafing an issue with the 1965 GT350's?  Any warranty claims?
2)  Was the fix only installed on the 252 partial spec GT350's according to the note with the image for the part.
3)  Was the cover/wrap dropped on the GT350's after 6S252?  and why was it dropped?

Below is the image and associated text.  Thank you Brant for sharing and providing the wraps.

Cory

1967 eight barrel

Panduit spiral wrap. Cheap and easy.

-Keith

GT350Lad

None on #373 but who knows If there before. Keen to hear what others say
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

Brant

Here was my email reply to Cory:

I have seen quite a few carryovers with this wrap on the rear brake lines as pictured.

Strangely enough, I have never seen it on a late '65 or any '66 (other than a carryover). I have never seen any written documentation from SA about this.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

gt350hr

I saw that on one carryover car with a vin in the 180s , but it was not on any of the three I owned ( all in the 200's). The fact that Brent has seen it often is very important.  The brake lines had to be "manipulated" because of the over ride brackets. It is possible that more than one person was doing the "manipulation" and took it upon himself to add the sleeving. I've never seen it on a '66 chassis car ( post #252)
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

1967 eight barrel

Was this something used on the over ride traction bar equipped cars only?

6s1640

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on January 04, 2019, 11:56:09 PM
Was this something used on the over ride traction bar equipped cars only?

Hi 1967 eight barrel,

From what I can tell from the prior posts, it is only the first 252 66's, all with overrides that appear to have received intermittently.  Gt350hr (Randy) is suggesting it might have been one individual that was putting them on, thus the random intermittent installation.  There appear to be no records from Shelby American describing the work.  There appear to be no cars after 6S252 that received these protective covers.  The practice was either dropped or maybe the guy quit or changed jobs.

This is the  collective input so far.  Thanks for the question.

Cory

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

Brant

It's definitely not a "random installation". I have observed the exact same wrap on enough cars to verify that.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Karguy

I can see where there may have been some concern early on about the steel brake lines when they introduced the override brackets on the differential. It would be interesting to know if someone just finally realized they were unnecessary, or as Cory said, that guy may have quit or changed jobs.  Seems very likely that that guy could still be around but I doubt we will ever know.
Just curious, is there a formal organization for former SA employees?
Karl
6s281
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

1967 eight barrel

So being this seems limited to vehicles with over ride traction masters, do we see the panduit on 1965 vehicles as well?

mikeh350

6s117 still has the original wrap on the brake line. Quite weathered and fragmented, but still there.

Mike

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on January 05, 2019, 11:22:45 AM
So being this seems limited to vehicles with over ride traction masters, do we see the panduit on 1965 vehicles as well?

No wrap on 65 is not IMHO typical.

As far as being random - maybe the wrong word. Maybe its better to state at this time that not all of those cars received the wrap. "Random seems to suggest  only a few or less than fifty percent.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SFM66H

Note the ground off/modified bolt heads on both of 6S030's original traction bars. (GREAT photos Ruben!)

Then read this 1966 story from Bill Kolb Jr., when he was working at Larsen Ford (White Plains, New York) about the same issue they were encountering with the override traction bars on the Hertz cars:

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

J_Speegle

Quote from: SFM66H on January 05, 2019, 06:43:57 PM
Note the ground off/modified bolt heads on both of 6S030's original traction bars. (GREAT photos Ruben!)

Then read this 1966 story from Bill Kolb Jr., when he was working at Larsen Ford (White Plains, New York) about the same issue they were encountering with the override traction bars on the Hertz cars:

Believe removing and using a lathe is much more advance engineering than the typical example we find
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge