Author Topic: Correct 67 comfortweave material  (Read 3300 times)

cascade-classics

• View Profile
Correct 67 comfortweave material
« on: February 25, 2019, 07:23:04 PM »
So is there any suppliers for correct 67 comfortweave seat vinyl?  I just got a "correct" sample from SMS and it is too tight of a weave.  I have attached a photo of their sample laying on top of the original.  I placed this on the lower front of the seat cover where it does not get any wear.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
Re: Correct 67 comfortweave material
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:31:53 PM »
Could it be that once it is installed and has been sat in over time it will stretch out to look just like what is in the Car?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:38:00 PM »
Would look closer to one another if one of the samples was rotated 180 degrees it appears.  New one is much more defined from what I'm seeing in your picture
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cascade-classics

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
Could it be that once it is installed and has been sat in over time it will stretch out to look just like what is in the Car?

I tried to stretch out the sample and it is just too tightly woven.

cascade-classics

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 12:35:49 PM »
Would look closer to one another if one of the samples was rotated 180 degrees it appears.  New one is much more defined from what I'm seeing in your picture

Here it is again oriented the same way.  This is laying on the vertical section of the back seat.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 01:04:22 PM »
If you decide to use the version that you can get from SMS (just about the only game in town) you should get enough to do the whole interior so that  it all will match . If repairing only a section it is best to find nice used so that the patina will match better.  You most likely already knew that but for others reading.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 01:36:44 PM »
Here it is again oriented the same way.  This is laying on the vertical section of the back seat.

Pattern looks more like one another but yes more detail on the new stuff as well as a smaller pattern it appears

Thanks for the side by side comparison
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cascade-classics

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 11:07:02 AM »
So any point deductions using the SMS material?

Hotrod Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 01:31:41 PM »
just my Two cents, since I've bought and sold material to SMS since they began. SMS usually only carries two types of comfortweave material, OEM or pressed pattern material. If its actually woven vinyl then its probably OEM as no one that I know of is reproducing this material as it was originally made! As far as the pattern being more define, it should! Its new, place it in your oven at about 100 degrees F. for a day and see how it looks then! ......maybe I should state that I'm not advocating that you do that, but that it would give you an idea on why the defination on the orignal interior is not as sharp!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:47:42 PM by Hotrod Hillbilly »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »
So any point deductions using the SMS material?
That is too broad a statement given they also sell the pressed pattern material. If you are asking about the SMS material In the picture I would say it would pass . FYI make sure it is black because the last batch I got from SMS was a very dark chocolate brown almost black but it was definitely not black . It was easy to see in good light. You can choose to dye it all the way black if that is all they have . It is easy to do prior to sewing.  If it is very dark brown and not all the way black like I experienced then it would be written as a wrong seat cover color type deduction.  Just be fore warned.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cascade-classics

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »
SMS came up with the correct material.  Not sure why they sent me a white sample but the pattern is almost exact.  Thanks for everyone's comments.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
Are you going to send it to TMI or have the covers sewn locally?

cascade-classics

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 06:23:10 PM »
Are you going to send it to TMI or have the covers sewn locally?

I have a local guy I have used for 30 years who does all my concours level car upholstery. They just come out looking a bit nicer than the over the counter covers.

By the way the correct comfortweave is $175/yard so just the material is more than a complete set of covers from TMI!