News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

First FE HiPo heads made

Started by Harris Speedster, February 24, 2019, 11:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris Speedster

gt350 & 427 Heaven,
Thanks for trying to help me out to identify the heads.
My fault for the confusion
I am enlisting myself into a computer course, just to learn snap chats, moving pictures from my Picasa, clouds  etc.
Just have a hard time with computers, mine is an out of date model>> just like me,

I appreciated the help posting pictures from several guys herein the site for quite the while, and the Last Paxton pictures that I hope helped numerous people with correct answer's.,

So when I post anymore parts, they will have pictures.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
With that said;
Besides asking questions herein the forums a few months back, I also went on line to FE sites and head sites to try and identify the 352 hipo heads.
Did my homework and came up with early 352 hipo heads and Hi Riser heads being the only factory machined chambers.

Well that is not true, and that is what started my confusion.
That is why I stated they looked just like 427 MR heads, I compared them to other 427 head MR heads we have here.

Come to find out, they are actually virgin 427 Medium riser heads with the numbers ground off, my mistake, and I own up to it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I did something I know better not to do as a Member of the Society Of Automotive Historians, and that is jump to a conclusion, when more research in identification was needed. 
Revs Institute and other major noted Archival and historical sites I confer and exchange with >>would crucify me>> it is non acceptable, so I apologize again to the community.

Nobody stepped up to purchase them at my asking price, so I have removed them from the market place. I will have to re-evaluate the price with the owner now .

I will be listing some other 427 MR heads with original numbers in the future, they have been cut on, BUT they have there numbers.
That is >>> after I get educated in the new pictures files, storage clouds and whatever else, the 427 MR heads will be pictured in an ad for sale herein SAAC.

Respectfully submitted,
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

gt350hr

John
       Glad you figured out what I suspected all along. To add to your knowledge base there are two other "production" heads that had/have fully machined combustion chambers besides the 352 HP , and 427 HR. The 427 Medium riser ( like you have ) and the 427 Tunnel Port. Not too surprisingly the 427 heads al use the same machining program for the chamber and are listed at 88cc volume( nominal) . Your heads with the numbers ground off are still valuable to someone looking for a medium riser head just not for someone hung up on casting numbers. Do check the ends of the heads for any hand stamped numbers starting with SK or XE as those would be prototype or engineering heads that "could " be different that regular production heads.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Harris Speedster

Randy,
Thanks for your help buddy !!!

I went and checked all of the MR heads
Numbers on two, for keeping track of FE stamped numbers
One has # 5607 stamped into its end

One head has C9 0 with no other numbers, but has two stamped dots.
The stamped numbers are about the size of stamped 69 shelby serial #, struck me as weird

Other heads have nothing.
I di know about the SK or Xe, numbers, I have seen it once, that was on the
289 4 bolt main racing engine that I sold to the Indy Museum about 30 years ago.

Thanks again Randy,
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

pbf777

Quote from: Harris Speedster on February 27, 2019, 08:39:30 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
With that said;
Besides asking questions herein the forums a few months back, I also went on line to FE sites and head sites to try and identify the 352 hipo heads.
Did my homework and came up with early 352 hipo heads and Hi Riser heads being the only factory machined chambers.

Respectfully submitted,
John

Not to flog a dead horse, but in an effort to be historically accurate (at least my version  ::)); in 1958 the initial production of the FE engine in both 332 & 352 cu. in. configurations were produced with the fully machined combustion cambers of perhaps 58 - 62cc volume, and in appearance is very similar (but smaller, yes) to the later FE's of 427 cu. in. capacity as mention above and by Randy (H.R., M.R. & T.P), an example casting number would be EDC-6090-E, and will also exhibit the core plugs, not present in later castings as previously mentioned. This process was discontinued early in the production cycle and the remaining units' chambers were of as cast, of a larger volume, and noticeably different shape, more conventional as shared with later FE's (360, 390, 406, 410, 427L.R. & 428's). From a vocabulary standpoint, I believe "Interceptor Special" & perhaps "Thunderbird Special" was used to describe the performance brand, at as much as 300 H.P..

The "352HP" (@360 H.P.) was a product of 1960 (particularly notable with the Starliner) with the cylinder head casting number of COAE-6090-D as I recall, which have the unique chamber shape as pictured above by "1967 eight barrel"; but note that these chambers are of as cast production, not fully machined as the others described.

As an additional note: measure the valve spacing, as it is different in the 427 examples verses others and any machine work to change such spacing would be obvious.    ;)

There, correct me if I'm wrong (and that wouldn't be a first  ::)), and I kept it as short as I possibly could, as I realize I may be bending the ear of some who really don't care!     :'(

Scott.

gt350hr

John,
     The numbers you mention are likely machine shop added numbers. There are at least 10 different SK numbered 427 medium riser head "alteration" numbers listed and a few more than that for the Tunnel port head. Since the "base" casting was not changed dramatically , the SK number would have been hand stamped on the end of the head to note the changes. There were "some" special development heads that had the SK number where a normal part number would be . IIRC one was SK 37369 and was a medium riser design that was only legal for NHRA Super Stock competition. I bought a pair of these from my friend Kerry Wortman.
    Randy

PS , Thanks to Scott. "I" feel it is important to put all of the information out there as many "lesser informed" journalists have made mistakes ( not intentionally) in their books that have led to much confusion. Some of us have studied Fords specifically ( yes it's an addiction) all of our "automotive" lives. In my case 50+ years of being "afflicted".

Harris Speedster

I agree with both of you guys.
That is what got me in trouble in the first place. Believing what I was reading.
What a person reads, is not always true.

The further input you guys are adding, will allow many to accurately identify FE heads.

I now know how to identify the rarer FE heads
John

cushmancomp

Awsome info from Randy and Scott who know as much as anybody about this stuff. 1 small correction on valve spacing. MR HR TP have a wider valve spacing and I think LR is the standard spacing

pbf777

Quote from: cushmancomp on February 27, 2019, 03:48:12 PM
1 small correction on valve spacing. MR HR TP have a wider valve spacing and I think LR is the standard spacing

Agreed, and in keeping my story short, I perhaps failed in my communication, as my intention was only meant to be relevant in an attempt to differentiate between the cylinder heads with the machined combustion chambers.

But, it ain't all bad, at least somebody is actually applying some thought to the yarn(s) that I posted    ::)

P.S. Hey Jay, if your in Orlando feel free to stop in again if you wish, don't worry about it if I wander off momentarily addressing business or something (always lots of fires).

Scott.

cushmancomp

Will do Scott.  Always fun seeing everybody elses stuff.  My kid wants to come by sometime. He was just down racing at New Smyrna for speedweeks.

gt350hr

When I went to Orlando many times , Powered by Ford was THE place I went . I never went to DisneyWorld.
   Randy

pbf777

Thanks Randy, I didn't realize I was that entertaining, but it's nice to know Mickey Mouse & Goofy comes to mind thou.    ::)

Scott.

gt350hr

Scott ,
     I guess I prefer real stuff to fantasy.
   Randy