News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 deluxe heater control panel aluminum trim

Started by V8Dave, August 25, 2020, 07:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V8Dave

Hello Everyone.
I am trying to re glue the aluminum trim that is attached to the die cast heater control panel on the 67 shelby/mustang with deluxe interior. The car is a non ac car.
I was just wondering if anyone here may have some usefull tips or information on what type of glue is best to use? I brought a epoxy glue by devcon and tried a test piece but it did not hold very well at all.
Naturally i only want to do the job once so i was just curious if anyone had any ideas or experience to share.
Many thanks for your time.
Stay safe.
Dave

JD

I've had some success adhering an aluminum emblem to gas filler lid with clear silicon adhesive.

(This does allow for adjustment of position)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on August 25, 2020, 09:01:11 AM
I've had some success adhering an aluminum emblem to gas filler lid with clear silicon adhesive.
To add ,if using the silicone you will have to use masking tape hold the trim in place until the silicone cures.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rcgt350

I might of used 3M spray adhesive used in upholstery work, correct if if that's not right as it's been a few years since I attached the gas cap emblem
Randy

Shawn

Gorilla Glue spray adhesive worked for me on many components. 

DAP weldwood for all your contact adhesive needs...Put it on both surfaces,wait 10 minutes ,press together.done.Only caveat is you better be sure to get things aligned perfectly the first time.Once it's attached it's ATTACHED.....Good luck!!!!

DGSOH

charlie D

Weldwood contact cement. Get a fresh bottle or can. Use a small about 1/2" disposable brush to thinly apply to both surfaces, let it tack up. Then CAREFULLY  start at the top or bottom of the control panel(whichever is easiest to hold) and slowly roll it down watching your alignment as you go. Do not try to stick it all at once, its very difficult to get multiple shapes to line up that way. Done lots of projects using this method--hold well.
Charlie D

V8Dave

Hello Everyone.
Thank you all once again for the kind words of advice and wisdom. Your help is much appreciated as always. If i can not get hold of any weldwood contact cement what about duco cement anyone ever tried that? Failing that ill try the silicone adhesive as advised.
Many thanks everyone, stay safe.
Dave