Author Topic: 67 raised taillight panel with NO lip over trunk - Anyone have one on their car?  (Read 3651 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
While chasing the running changes of different taillight panel versions I came across this oddity.
At first I suspected it might be a reproduction. However, those typically have a lip over the trunk which help reduce the warping and improves the seal.

So the question for anyone reading this is...Does your car have this raised panel with NO lip?
If so what is the Shelby VIN number? I'd like to track the build dates of it, if it is a production piece from LAX.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

roddster

• View Profile
  Just defining the request:  You mean that the tail light mounting area is raised slightly, and then with no sealing lip along the trunk opening  metal.  I think.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
  Just defining the request:  You mean that the tail light mounting area is raised slightly, and then with no sealing lip along the trunk opening  metal.  I think.

See Arrow.  The Fiberglass Tail Light Panel top edge looks to be about 1/2 Inch wide and does not over lap onto the Factory Tail Light panel.  The Trunk Weather Striping doe not touch it.

Richstang

• View Profile
Yes this is a raised taillight area which is seen on the mid-year to the end of production cars adding much needed trunk space.
Typically these have the lip over the top of the metal trunk area with a notch around the metal bump stops.

1967 eight barrel

I have the flat panel with no overlapping lip. Not easy to get a seal on this type of panel to the body.

-Keith

Richstang

• View Profile
It been a while since this question was posted. I have still not found any other cars with the raised taillight panel and NO lip over the trunk opening.
Does anyone have/had or ever seen one of these oddities?

The SAI completion date of 3/10/67 for #1061 fits the timing as an early development car for changes to the tail panel.
Perhaps it was a prototype piece (from a new vendor?) that SAI used on a production unit to test.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
I just double checked and my wall art piece with tailights etc. has one of those raised no lip panels. I used it because years ago when I made it I thought that it was PO modified piece and so didn't feel bad about using it as wall art inside of on a car. I have since seen a few on cars but unfortunately the examples were all highly messed with examples that had many originality problems which didn't give me confidence in the originality of th panels. If following the progression it would have to fall into a time frame immediately after the flat panel which of course had no lip. The tailpanels with no lip had a tendency to droop in the middle having no support which was compounding the problem of sealing fumes out of the trunk and hince passenger compartment. If this was a production piece which evidence suggests it was then it must have only been used for a very short period of time . The inferior no lip design was apparently quickly upgraded thankfully.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

• View Profile
Thanks for that info Bob. Good to know they may be a few more out there, even if in very limited numbers.

I agree, it is likely the first revision done, since all the other variations were improved with the lip over the top.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting Rich.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
Yes this is a raised taillight area which is seen on the mid-year to the end of production cars adding much needed trunk space.
Typically these have the lip over the top of the metal trunk area with a notch around the metal bump stops.
But mid-year doesn't have the steel/fiberglass trunk lid, like this car.
This car also has the later Ford twin exhaust valance.
My car has the flat panel, no lip and Ford twin exhaust valance.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I don't see the raised contour on the blue cars tailpanel. It appears to be the flat variety. Which would be typical for a steel innerstructure trunklid car. I took a picture of the raised tail panel without the lip that I have for comparison. The contour is fairly pronounced . I do not see a comparable contour on the blue cars tail panel.It may be a optical illusion but i am missing it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:25:09 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

• View Profile
Regarding '67 #1061, this link below includes more photos, showing a GT stamped valance. The one photo posted here is difficult to see it at the angle it was taken.
http://www.import-connection.com/index.php?page=item&item_id=769

#1061 was built at Ford SJ 2/14/67 and completed by SAI 3/10/67.
I believe the stamped GT rear valances start appearing on the Ford SJ built cars around early February.
The SAI change notice was sent, and marked received by Ford on 1/25/67. It asked for an immediate running change.

We've seen the tail light panel changes start at SAI (including this car) around early March and continue with the other variations until around mid May. I've was working with JD and Dave, identifying and detailing all the changes, and sorting out when they happened. We have not been able to revisit this as a team since the new registry was put in motion.

The Hybrid hoods and trunks, appear to linger a little bit longer in the production run than initially thought, but this is also ongoing research.
As an example, Dave Mathews found a car completed in the middle of March with the hybrid parts, so #1061 does fit the pattern here.

I'm finding that trying to segment these cars into three distinctive groups (early, mid, and late builds), does not work well to define all the numerous running changes.

Richstang

• View Profile
The attached close up photo, pulled from the link posted above, should help clear up any doubts over the type of tail light panel we see on #1061.

Notice the curved recesses between the top edge of the panel and taillights. These curves are enhanced by the white painted stripes. Also, there are shadows created by the raised panel surfaces. These areas are all highlighted in the circles drawn on the photo.

67 GT350

• View Profile
Trying to remember but I think 2195 had that also.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
The attached close up photo, pulled from the link posted above, should help clear up any doubts over the type of tail light panel we see on #1061.

Notice the curved recesses between the top edge of the panel and taillights. These curves are enhanced by the white painted stripes. Also, there are shadows created by the raised panel surfaces. These areas are all highlighted in the circles drawn on the photo.

The larger picture help convince me of the contour.Thank you. I would have been convinced of a flat tailpanel otherwise. It was a optical illusion for me that no contour could be seen in the smaller picture.