News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

'67 Upper Scoop Lights - Got'em or Not?

Started by Richstang, February 01, 2018, 11:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

Quote from: owenkelley on August 20, 2018, 09:57:19 PM
Here's a question I've never seen asked before. Is there any record of a car having small red lights on the inside of the car that light up at the appropriate times that the out side USL's were supposed to? I was looking at a car recently that the owner says has the wiring for the USL's but the lights aren't there. There are just these little lights on the inside of the car in the rear vent piece.  The car has an early January build date, the owner has had it since around 1980. There were USL's in the trunk when he bought it and he assumed this car was supposed to have them.

Not typical. Car number, state car was originally sold in and photos would be interesting. 

Perhaps the car had the outside lights which were removed and the wiring was redirected to the added inside lights for some reason.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

BGlover67

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 20, 2018, 10:31:32 PM
Here's a question I've never seen asked before. Is there any record of a car having small red lights on the inside of the car that light up at the appropriate times that the out side USL's were supposed to? I was looking at a car recently that the owner says has the wiring for the USL's but the lights aren't there. There are just these little lights on the inside of the car in the rear vent piece.  The car has an early January build date, the owner has had it since around 1980. There were USL's in the trunk when he bought it and he assumed this car was supposed to have them.
I am very skeptical about any lights on the inside . Disregard the fact that I have never seen one with them in the large number that I have seen during personal observations, requested by enthusiast car evaluations and judging venues but it doesn't even make sense from a functional standpoint. What would the purpose be for lights located in the interior vent area to illuminate?

Bob, it was the '60s and maybe it gave the proper psychedelic vibe when you hit the brakes for the passengers in the back who were stoned.   ;D
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Richstang

Quote from: JD on August 20, 2018, 10:38:34 PM

Not typical. Car number, state car was originally sold in and photos would be interesting. 

Perhaps the car had the outside lights which were removed and the wiring was redirected to the added inside lights for some reason.

I'm betting no one has seen or heard of anything like that before. It would definitely help us to know the Shelby VIN number. When it was built at San Jose is another factor to consider. As JD said, do you have any pictures you can share with us.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on August 20, 2018, 10:45:51 PM
I am very skeptical about any lights on the inside . Disregard the fact that I have never seen one with them in the large number that I have seen during personal observations, requested by enthusiast car evaluations and judging venues but it doesn't even make sense from a functional standpoint. What would the purpose be for lights located in the interior vent area to illuminate?
:)
Bob, it was the '60s and maybe it gave the proper psychedelic vibe when you hit the brakes for the passengers in the back who were stoned.   ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

honker

I know that there was a listing of 350 & 500 USL cars on the old forum, I have that saved in my files, but was there a colour breakdown posted any where of the USL cars ? I know I could go too my registry  ::)

Mike

Richstang

Quote from: honker on October 29, 2018, 08:36:47 PM
I know that there was a listing of 350 & 500 USL cars on the old forum, I have that saved in my files, but was there a colour breakdown posted any where of the USL cars ? I know I could go too my registry  ::)

Mike

I don't recall seeing a color breakdown. I have an excel spreadsheet that highlights each VIN number by paint color.
Anything in particular you wanted to know?

honker

Rich, thanks for your reply, interested in the colour break down just for my own curiosity.

Mike

Richstang

I'll try to make a breakdown of the colors when I get a chance.
The difficultly is we don't know every single car with USLs, so there will be some guessing.

I can say for certain there were no Acapulco Blue cars with the scoop lights.
More than likely there were no Brittany Blue cars. (no on the 1 of 1 Yellow or 1 of 1 Burgundy either)
Definitely only 1 Red car, #0100 the GT500 (maybe the only GT500, not 100% certain on that yet).

BGlover67

Quote from: Richstang on October 30, 2018, 10:39:27 PM
The difficultly is we don't know every single car with USLs, so there will be some guessing.

More than likely there were no Brittany Blue cars. (no on the 1 of 1 Yellow or 1 of 1 Burgundy either)
Definitely only 1 Red car, #0100 the GT500 (maybe the only GT500, not 100% certain on that yet).

Truer words were never spoken...
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

shelbydoug

Quote from: BGlover67 on August 20, 2018, 10:45:51 PM

No, no, no! You had to be stoned first before you got into the rear seats to keep from panicking. The only rear seat worse is a 911.

I get panic attacks just thinking about putting any living creature back there. I need some cava-cava now.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

In the 2011 registry on page 784, there is a short article on the Upper Scoop Lights. It includes information from an internal Shelby American memo (dated December 2nd, 1966). It noted the USLs were to be deleted from the '67 Shelby's from that point forward, unless the cars were already underway for that feature.

I'd assume any car built by San Jose on or after 12/2/66 would NOT have the USLs, since they didn't even arrive at LAX before the written memo.

Richstang

Update the list on page 1 in reply #3 with #0147 as YES.

67st102

Quote from: Richstang on October 30, 2018, 10:39:27 PM

Here is another Red GT500 - and NOT 100......    Happy New Year to all.      8) 8) 8)

BGlover67

Lowell's Car?  It looks to be from that famous shoot of V-738-2.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover