News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Sill Plate Emblem for 66

Started by SFM6S1348, February 01, 2018, 12:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

To continue a focus on the two or dual line discussion. If it were a service replacement when would it have been made and available to the public?

And since it could be considered part of the discussion what are peoples thought on the additional (what looks similar to weatherstrip adhesive) glue often found holding any of the emblems in place?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

s2ms

Quote from: Brant on March 21, 2018, 12:44:41 PM
Reproductions are very, very close if not exact. The letters may be a bit bolder or just appear to be due to the comparison between brand new and 50+ years of wear.

I've never seen a "two line" label on a '66 that I could absolutely verify as original.

The later '66s that I have seen, have the same "one line" label, but they have silk screened (flat, not raised) logo, lettering and border.

Brant,

Thanks for posting the pic. Other than the bolder SAI font on the repro as you mentioned, the other thing I've noticed from pics is the repro edges appear slightly beveled. Is that correct or just an illusion?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Reproductions are very, very close if not exact. The letters may be a bit bolder or just appear to be due to the comparison between brand new and 50+ years of wear.

I've never seen a "two line" label on a '66 that I could absolutely verify as original.

The later '66s that I have seen, have the same "one line" label, but they have silk screened (flat, not raised) logo, lettering and border.
It is more then a 50 year age patina difference. Don't get me wrong because I am glad to see the raised style sill plate emblem available but if you think that the letters are exact when you compare the genuine original to the reproduction I respectfully disagree. I know it is more then just me .  I can tell from ten feet away . It frustrates me when the aftermarket gets one very close when they could have done a little more research or to a little more effort and gotten it exact.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 21, 2018, 05:46:13 PM

It is more then a 50 year age patina difference. Don't get me wrong because I am glad to see the raised style sill plate emblem available but if you think that the letters are exact when you compare the genuine original to the reproduction I respectfully disagree. I know it is more then just me .  I can tell from ten feet away . It frustrates me when the aftermarket gets one very close when they could have done a little more research or to a little more effort and gotten it exact.
The letters on the repro are bolder and slightly smaller.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s2020

here are the original sill panels and plates

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6s2020 on March 21, 2018, 09:38:21 PM
here are the original sill panels and plates

Thanks added to the spreadsheet
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Sorry been gone on a short trip but wanted to get back to this subject and not leave it hanging

I went through all my current pictures and notes then noted if the cars had been restored or possibly had their sill plates replaced. Also ignored rebodied cars and modified (race) cars.

One thing that popped up right away dismissed the likelihood IMHO of the two/dual line versions being service replacements since they (expanded the search) since if these were only service replacements why would Shelby make a new design just for replacements rather than copy something they already had art work for. And if they were service replacements made available after production (example 68) why are they not found on 65, 67 and 68's also). Haven't found any examples of them on other years which suggests that they were a factory variation applied during the production year. That doesn't add up IMHO

Since I was using pictures that focused on the sill plate labels and those that did not I did not have enough clear close ups to collect important data points as to smooth or those created with a relief design on the surface and will leave that discussion alone for this survey

With all this I created two charts. One that shows what appear to be original sill plate labels and one that included "restored" examples hoping that many owners/builders would have chosen to reuse or replace the sill plate labels with what they found or removed during disassembly

What surprised me is that many of the restored examples fell in line and supported what had been reflected in the "original" chart and suggest IMHO that both emblems were used at the same time during much of the production year.   

To me the early period (pre #400) is still in question since only a single possibly original finding anchors that group and the same goes in the over 1900 area.

Production period from approx #400-#850 was small and no conclusion can be drawn for that period at this time.

SFM6S087

Great info! Thanks a lot, Jeff.

Steve

GT350Lad

Great info Jeff, cheers. 6S373 has original one line labels. Add it to database and I'll send you a pic this weekend.

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

J_Speegle

Quote from: GT350Lad on March 29, 2018, 04:38:49 AM
Great info Jeff, cheers. 6S273 has original one line labels. Add it to database and I'll send you a pic this weekend.

Cheers

Already included ;)   But will not refuse a picture

GT350Lad

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 29, 2018, 04:53:24 AM
Quote from: GT350Lad on March 29, 2018, 04:38:49 AM
Great info Jeff, cheers. 6S273 has original one line labels. Add it to database and I'll send you a pic this weekend.

Cheers

Already included ;)   But will not refuse a picture

Will do 👍
6S373
6S1276

NEFaurora

"(flat, not raised) logo"

I think that the word Brant was looking for here was "EMBOSSED".  Embossed refers to a raised area..

:o)

Tony K.

GT350Lad

Adding another sill plate Jeff
1 line for 6S1276
Pic below
6S373
6S1276

427hunter

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"