Author Topic: Sill Plate Emblem for 66  (Read 16025 times)

SFM6S1348

• View Profile
Sill Plate Emblem for 66
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »
After reading the Sill Plate Emblem discussion for the 1967s it brings to mind what are the 1966 sill plate styles and how do the relate to Shelby numbers. I know there was past discussion about this but thats gone so here is the new question.

Thanks.

Les 1348
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sill Plate Emblem for 66
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »
After reading the Sill Plate Emblem discussion for the 1967s it brings to mind what are the 1966 sill plate styles and how do the relate to Shelby numbers. I know there was past discussion about this but thats gone so here is the new question.

Thanks.

Les 1348

Thanks for posting the question.  We need to slowly build the data base back. Along those same lines, it would be great if folks who have taken it upon themselves to reproduce parts for our cars repost the information as their time permits.  I am sure it will be appreciated.

Greek

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:17:20 PM by greekz »
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

SFM6S1348

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 12:49:19 PM »

Thanks.

Les 1348

Thanks for posting the question.  We need to slowly build the data base back. Along those same lines, it would be great if folks who have taken it upon themselves to reproduce parts for our cars repost the information as their time permits.  I am sure it will be appreciated.

Greek

Inquiring minds want to know 1966 GT 350 sill plate emblems for 1966.
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

SFM6S1348

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »
Here is what 1348 has on it presently. In 1980's I replaced the beat up sill plates with NOS Ford and Repo (?) Shelby emblems. I stored the originals in my garage but they went somewhere else. I could not find them when we moved. I noted the 1967 discussion was very informative about 1967 and hope similar information can be obtained here about the 1966 cars.
Les 1348

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
Here is what 1348 has on it presently. In 1980's I replaced the beat up sill plates with NOS Ford and Repo (?) Shelby emblems. I stored the originals in my garage but they went somewhere else. I could not find them when we moved. I noted the 1967 discussion was very informative about 1967 and hope similar information can be obtained here about the 1966 cars.
Les 1348

FYI you can get a better reproduction through Brant at Virginia . The race track CS is embossed on the original and also on the Scott Drake ones through Brant. They are not perfectly exact like original but a lot better then later NOS service or other reproduction that do not have the raised CS. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 02:04:14 PM »
Will go through my files and pictures and repost what I posted (or close to ) last time showing the two styles I've found over the years.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SFM6S1348

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »
Will go through my files and pictures and repost what I posted (or close to ) last time showing the two styles I've found over the years.

That would be great.

Thanks

Les

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:47:11 PM »
Original label on 6S1757...

Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 07:11:54 PM »
Original label on 6S1757...

As you can see the letters are different compared to the reproduction.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 03:55:53 AM »
Here are some notes I made from the previous forum discussion on the topic sill plate emblems for 1965-66:

1965 GT350 – All had black Ford oval

1966 GT350 – 6s001 = black Ford oval

1966 GT350 – 6s002 to end = one-line label. Most were embossed, but late in production there may have been some original flat emblems. That change may have happened between 6S1769 and 6S2020.)

The double-line emblems appear to have been Ford factory service replacements.

Steve

Updated on 3/29/18. The info I posted above is not completely accurate. See reply #22 in this thread for better information.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:55:49 AM by SFM6S087 »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 04:35:41 AM »
Still going through pictures. Have them for about 50% of the cars in one form or another so taking some time.

Here is the picture of what was on the wife's car.  Same picture I posted last time.  Knowing Doug he never replaced them and what was in the car when I first road in it in 73

Two line version
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:49:48 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 07:56:35 AM »
Will post some pics of 6S373’s which has original one line emblems and sill plates. Wasn’t there a change over period from one to two line emblems? Not all the 66’s had one line plates?
Cheers
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:32:57 AM by GT350Lad »
6S373
6S1276

SFM6S1348

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 09:19:12 AM »
Still going through pictures. Have them for about 50% of the cars in one form or another so taking some time.

Here is the picture of what was on the wife's car.  Same picture I posted last time.  Knowing Doug he never replaced them and what was in the car when I first road in it in 73

Two line version

What number was the wife's car?

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »
Reproductions are very, very close if not exact. The letters may be a bit bolder or just appear to be due to the comparison between brand new and 50+ years of wear.

I've never seen a "two line" label on a '66 that I could absolutely verify as original.

The later '66s that I have seen, have the same "one line" label, but they have silk screened (flat, not raised) logo, lettering and border.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 01:09:17 PM »
What number was the wife's car?

6S1203

Have a fair number of examples (two lines) that are as easy to prove are originals as most of the single line examples IMHO.  Good time to rehash this since additional information turns up all the time and this may benefit from a fresh look if we can do that.

Currently it appears there may be some problems with the idea that they were possibly service replacements only.

The challenge is that there is a high percentage of cars that have been restored in the past 50 years and of course those are always suspect in one way or another.

Think a discussion and a look will be good