Author Topic: "Concours" starter soleniod  (Read 4182 times)

1967 eight barrel

"Concours" starter soleniod
« on: January 10, 2019, 02:36:54 PM »
Okay..2X on the AMK units. What are we running that is correct looking?

rockhouse66

• View Profile
Re: "Concours" starter soleniod
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:26:24 AM »
I understand there is now a version produced by Alloy Metal Products that is better.  Check with them.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »
  "You didn't ground it correctly".  P-h-h-h-t

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:59:15 AM »
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 04:44:30 PM »
  "You didn't ground it correctly".  P-h-h-h-t

You want me to beat you with a rubber hose, don't you?  ;D ;D

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:48:17 PM »
Okay, ordered. Thanks.  Smoking solenoids stuck engaged can be a bit nerve racking.  No QRH for stuck closed starter solenoids. Thankfully the positive terminal came off before damage was done.

-Keith

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:23:09 PM »
 Keith

You might wanna be careful tightening the nuts that hold your battery and starter cables on. I know we had a very long discussion about the poor design of reproduction solenoids on the old website including pictures. Sometimes the post have a tendency to twist slightly and they don’t make contact with the disc properly and that’s how they become fused. I have some good pictures of one of the solenoids that I welded, taken apart but they are not handy as I’m In Mehico searching for Jim Morrison’s Shelby right now. Maybe someone else can post something. Just a thought.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:26:38 PM by Chris Thauberger »
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
Well, the good news is I don't have to order the correct nuts from AMK and re-thread them to work with the AMK solenoid.
The new ones look good.
I will be sure not to over-torque them.

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:46:32 PM »
I had the same problem multiple times.  Found someone that restores original solenoids, had one done and never a sticking problem again.  I'll see if i can't dig the guys contact info up.  He did a great job on my original unit, quick turn around and it was reasonable from what i recall.  I had a few done for my other cars so the hard part will be locating an original if you don't have one.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »
Keith

You might wanna be careful tightening the nuts that hold your battery and starter cables on. I know we had a very long discussion about the poor design of reproduction solenoids on the old website including pictures. Sometimes the post have a tendency to twist slightly and they don’t make contact with the disc properly and that’s how they become fused. I have some good pictures of one of the solenoids that I welded, taken apart but they are not handy as I’m In Mehico searching for Jim Morrison’s Shelby right now. Maybe someone else can post something. Just a thought.

Chris
If you Find Jim and the car tell him he still owes me for that bag of weed I sold him back in High School
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 07:03:36 PM »
Yes.

They finally discontinued them. We haven't handled that brand for years.

We have the ones from Alloy and hardly ever have an issue.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-72-AUTOLITE-STARTER-SOLENOID-P1151.aspx

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-BLACK-STARTER-SOLENOID-SCRIPT-P1148.aspx

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-BLACK-STARTER-SOLENOID-BLOCK-P1150.aspx

I can personally vouch for Brant’s solenoids. I had a concours correct repop solenoid in my early 67 GT350 that stuck and took out my starter. I had to push the car uphill with my wife behind the wheel at 11pm!!

Brant answered my post on the old site and I purchased his solenoid. I’ve NEVER had any problems since.

Thanks again, Brant!
Nothing beats a classic!

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 07:32:29 PM »
I had the same problem multiple times.  Found someone that restores original solenoids, had one done and never a sticking problem again.  I'll see if i can't dig the guys contact info up.  He did a great job on my original unit, quick turn around and it was reasonable from what i recall.  I had a few done for my other cars so the hard part will be locating an original if you don't have one.

I would love to hear about the contact the restored them; I have my original but it doesn’t work
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:09:08 PM by GT350Lad »
6S373
6S1276

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
Okay took some digging thru paperwork here's who did my original solenoid.  Works perfect every time!

DSD Restorations

870-780-4999

Shawn

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 11:22:58 AM »
Okay took some digging thru paperwork here's who did my original solenoid.  Works perfect every time!

DSD Restorations

870-780-4999

Shawn

I think David is mainly focusing on full restos now, but he may find time.  He is usually on the Boss 302 site.

6S1114

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »

DSD Restorations

870-780-4999

Shawn

Ok thanks, I’ll see what he says
Cheers
6S373
6S1276