News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

"Concours" starter soleniod

Started by 1967 eight barrel, January 10, 2019, 02:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1967 eight barrel

Okay..2X on the AMK units. What are we running that is correct looking?

rockhouse66

I understand there is now a version produced by Alloy Metal Products that is better.  Check with them.

roddster

"You didn't ground it correctly".  P-h-h-h-t

Brant

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: roddster on January 11, 2019, 09:49:45 AM
  "You didn't ground it correctly".  P-h-h-h-t

You want me to beat you with a rubber hose, don't you?  ;D ;D

1967 eight barrel

Okay, ordered. Thanks.  Smoking solenoids stuck engaged can be a bit nerve racking.  No QRH for stuck closed starter solenoids. Thankfully the positive terminal came off before damage was done.

-Keith

Chris Thauberger

Keith

You might wanna be careful tightening the nuts that hold your battery and starter cables on. I know we had a very long discussion about the poor design of reproduction solenoids on the old website including pictures. Sometimes the post have a tendency to twist slightly and they don't make contact with the disc properly and that's how they become fused. I have some good pictures of one of the solenoids that I welded, taken apart but they are not handy as I'm In Mehico searching for Jim Morrison's Shelby right now. Maybe someone else can post something. Just a thought.

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

1967 eight barrel

Well, the good news is I don't have to order the correct nuts from AMK and re-thread them to work with the AMK solenoid.
The new ones look good.
I will be sure not to over-torque them.

Shawn

I had the same problem multiple times.  Found someone that restores original solenoids, had one done and never a sticking problem again.  I'll see if i can't dig the guys contact info up.  He did a great job on my original unit, quick turn around and it was reasonable from what i recall.  I had a few done for my other cars so the hard part will be locating an original if you don't have one.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on January 11, 2019, 09:23:09 PM
Keith

You might wanna be careful tightening the nuts that hold your battery and starter cables on. I know we had a very long discussion about the poor design of reproduction solenoids on the old website including pictures. Sometimes the post have a tendency to twist slightly and they don't make contact with the disc properly and that's how they become fused. I have some good pictures of one of the solenoids that I welded, taken apart but they are not handy as I'm In Mehico searching for Jim Morrison's Shelby right now. Maybe someone else can post something. Just a thought.

Chris
If you Find Jim and the car tell him he still owes me for that bag of weed I sold him back in High School
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Brant on January 11, 2019, 09:59:15 AM
Yes.

They finally discontinued them. We haven't handled that brand for years.

We have the ones from Alloy and hardly ever have an issue.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-72-AUTOLITE-STARTER-SOLENOID-P1151.aspx

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-BLACK-STARTER-SOLENOID-SCRIPT-P1148.aspx

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-BLACK-STARTER-SOLENOID-BLOCK-P1150.aspx

I can personally vouch for Brant's solenoids. I had a concours correct repop solenoid in my early 67 GT350 that stuck and took out my starter. I had to push the car uphill with my wife behind the wheel at 11pm!!

Brant answered my post on the old site and I purchased his solenoid. I've NEVER had any problems since.

Thanks again, Brant!
Nothing beats a classic!

GT350Lad

Quote from: Shawn on January 11, 2019, 09:46:32 PM
I had the same problem multiple times.  Found someone that restores original solenoids, had one done and never a sticking problem again.  I'll see if i can't dig the guys contact info up.  He did a great job on my original unit, quick turn around and it was reasonable from what i recall.  I had a few done for my other cars so the hard part will be locating an original if you don't have one.

I would love to hear about the contact the restored them; I have my original but it doesn't work
6S373
6S1276

Shawn

Okay took some digging thru paperwork here's who did my original solenoid.  Works perfect every time!

DSD Restorations

870-780-4999

Shawn

Sfm6sxxx

Quote from: Shawn on January 13, 2019, 11:02:38 AM
Okay took some digging thru paperwork here's who did my original solenoid.  Works perfect every time!

DSD Restorations

870-780-4999

Shawn

I think David is mainly focusing on full restos now, but he may find time.  He is usually on the Boss 302 site.

6S1114

GT350Lad

Quote from: Shawn on January 13, 2019, 11:02:38 AM

DSD Restorations

870-780-4999

Shawn

Ok thanks, I'll see what he says
Cheers
6S373
6S1276