Author Topic: WARNING: This post may....  (Read 2961 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
WARNING: This post may....
« on: March 10, 2019, 02:58:51 PM »
....change you opinion of Carroll Shelby

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=laTEaRWxig4

Wedgeman

• View Profile
Re: WARNING: This post may....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 03:03:24 PM »
 ::)..... :o.....?

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 07:04:24 PM »
Why would it?

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »
Wow didn’t realize fwd was the hot set up!!!But if ol Shel says it’s true it must be true...He never lies...I just wish I could pry one of those dusty original cobra chassis out of the estates hands!!!(because I wouldn’t want a “continuation “car...... 8)

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 09:28:58 PM »
Don't change my opinion, Man needs a nice BJ every once in a while :o

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 09:44:09 PM »
That's when Chrysler was lining his pockets. He was a true mercenary and touted whatever was supporting his lifestyle at the time. https://horsepowermemories.com/2014/08/18/1986-shelby-dodge-omni-glhs/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 11:26:45 PM »
That's when Chrysler was lining his pockets. He was a true mercenary and touted whatever was supporting his lifestyle at the time. https://horsepowermemories.com/2014/08/18/1986-shelby-dodge-omni-glhs/

Agreed. Just like every other racer, sports celebrity, politician, etc., who has a major sponsor. 
It's how the biz works.

Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 12:55:45 AM »
I still don't get the negativity.

CS was hired by Chrysler Corp. to develop performance models from their existing lineup. Considering what he had to work with, I don't think he did too bad. The 2.2L four cylinder was a well engineered motor. Turbocharging, common today, was leading edge then. Ultimately a 4V cylinder head was developed.  Drivetrain details included equal length half shafts to combat torque steer.

Chrysler offered Direct Connection performance parts for them and even a performance shop manual. There was aftermarket support too. Shelby Dodges competed in road rallys, showroom stock, drag racing, and ran at Bonneville.

There was even a Chrysler-Shelby Performance Center in California where they did development work. During this time CSPC engineers were evaluating a Shelby Daytona with a turbocharged, inter-cooled four-cylinder with a 4V head. As for "how much power can you put through front wheel drive. .." this test mule had an all wheel drive configuration.

Don't take my word, try to hunt up a copy of Dodge High Performance, published by Petersen Publishing. It had seriously competent performance technical information.

There was even the Shelby Dodge Automobile club for enthusiasts. I think it was located in West Redding, CT.

All that has long since evaporated from the automotive performance landscape. But I think that Shelby and all the employees and enthusiasts who invested time, effort and money into improving and competing with these cars deserve a modicum of respect. 

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »
We like to see Enthusiasm
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »
Thanks.

And IMHO, I think the 80's Dodge Daytona remains a handsome car, particularly considering what passes for style today.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
A great American showing off his enthusiasm and ingenuity.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 02:24:36 PM »
I agree with the enthusiasm and ingenuity comments.  I knew CS very well during this time period, and afterwards. I spent many days testing a variety of cars at the Chrysler Shelby Performance Center facility. Wrote a bunch of articles.  When I was with Popular Hot Rodding magazine, we built-up a new '83 Shelby Charger. Got it to run in the 13s on street tires. 

Carroll hired me to work for him in the era of the Shelby Dakota, and I got to see some early development of the Viper and its V-10 engine.

I should have been more detailed in my previous post. Yes, Carroll did what his sponsor (Chrysler) paid him to do....and why not?  Wouldn't any of us, given a similar challenge and a hefty paycheck by a big car company? Carroll pulled Chrysler out of the doledrums and gave it cars to brag about. I drove his 300 hp Omni GLHS that nearly tore the engine cradle out of the car with its torque. Crude, yes. But damn fun! 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:00:16 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 03:26:01 PM »
Truly appreciate you sharing that story
Thanks

I agree with the enthusisam and ingenuity comments.  I knew CS very well during this time period, and afterwards. I spent many days testing a variety of cars at the Chrysler Shelby Performance Center facility. Wrote a bunch of articles.  When I was with Popular Hot Rodding magazine, we built a new 83 Shelby Charger. Got it to run in the 13s on street tires. 

He hired me to work for him in the era of the Shelby Dakota, and I got to see some early development of the Viper and its V-10 engine.

I should have been more detailed in my previous post. Yes, Carroll did what his sponsor (Chrysler) paid him to do....and why not?  Wouldn't any of us, given a similar challenge and a hefty paycheck by a big car company? Carrolll pulled Chrysler out of the doledrums and gave it cars to brag about. I drove his 300 hp Omni GLHS that nearly tore the engine cradle out of the car with its torque. Crude, yes. But damn fun!
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »
Wow, Cool stuff S.O.

That is something to brag about👍🏻🏁

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »
I bought an GLHS new in 86.  Still have it.  Blast to drive.