News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

When you have to drive an automatic

Started by 6S1568, January 12, 2019, 12:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

67 GT350

At 15, I always wanted a 55 through 57 T-Bird. At 17, I bought one. It was a 55 Goldenrod Yellow 3 speed manual. I never drove a manual. I asked my friend how you drive one and he told me to learn to feel the grab of the clutch, he was 16. Before getting the money up for the car, I was "thinking" how a manual works, hmmmm, I thought if I think like a automatic, I think I can do this! But dealing with the clutch, hmmmm, and timing the same foot that is on that brake pedal.....wow, how do I do that?!?!?!? OK the day came my friend in his 66 Mustang convertible with an auto, yes the same kid who told me what to do....took me over to get the car! No, I did not think, hey, he's driving a auto! Anyway, we got there, I got behind the wheel of that 55 Bird, and drove it home with little issues. Took it out and "practiced" with it and NEVER looked back, for me it was just using common sense and thinking about it. Over the years many cars of mine were and are 4 speeds, 5 speeds, and 6 speeds! Love them! And yes some are autos, but that is just life, I guess....on the 24th of March I will be 60! WOW, when they say, "Time flies" I now know what they were saying! Gone is the T-Bird, but here are other cars! But one thing from the past is still with me, my love of cars! AND yes I still keep in touch with my friend who told me about that clutch thing!
RARE  Signature Delete

deathsled

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on January 13, 2019, 09:28:47 PM
Manual Transmission= Millennial anti-theft device.
Try renting a car anywhere in Europe.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

My "REAL" car has a 4spd.,my driver Toyota is an auto.works perfectly....

Peter L.

KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

shelbydoug

If you haven't driven a car with a PK trans yet, you should. Once you do, you will realize exactly how obsolete a manual is.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pchmotoho

To each his own however a manual for me is part of the fun.  Autos may be faster than stick but it is not all about speed for me and I think the old gated shifters are the best looking things you will ever find in a car (supermodels not included). 

The wonderful thing about a clutch is that it lets YOU decide when to spin the tires.....

Side-Oilers

Quote from: pchmotoho on March 08, 2019, 10:26:21 AM
To each his own however a manual for me is part of the fun.  Autos may be faster than stick but it is not all about speed for me and I think the old gated shifters are the best looking things you will ever find in a car (supermodels not included).

+1  Making me wish even more that the 2020 GT500 had one.  (The part about the supermodel too.)
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Our daughter is now 45 and learned on a 4 speed. She traded her sailboat for a 67 VW when she was 15 and learned to drive it in the backyard - only cost me one gate. Her first 4 cars were stick. VW - 2 Merkur's and her first new car a Ford Escape. Her life lesson with the Escape was you can't launch & retrieve an 18' ski boat with a baby 4 cylinder and expect the clutch to last. She still has an early RHD Mini that her son will learn to drive a stick with.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

69mach351w

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 08, 2019, 08:26:48 AM
If you haven't driven a car with a PK trans yet, you should. Once you do, you will realize exactly how obsolete a manual is.
PK?  Explain for us (Not so use to the lingo) persons ;D

BTW Fran, cool story 8)

shelbydoug

Quote from: 69mach351w on March 09, 2019, 07:18:57 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on March 08, 2019, 08:26:48 AM
PK?  Explain for us (Not so use to the lingo) persons ;D

BTW Fran, cool story 8)

PDK. My keyboard sticks...just some of the keys. I didn't think anyone paid any attention to what I write?

https://autoweek.com/article/technology/what-pdk-autoweek-explains

It's a manual dual disk transmission without a clutch pedal and can shift itself via the CPU. The P just stuck but I caught it in time.

In the case of the Porsche if you need a new clutch I think you need to send the car back to Bavaria and have Hans fix it? It's all apparently done on a need to know basis. You need some sort of security clearance to get the shop manual for it?

The only problem other then that is what you do with your left foot.

I tried continuously to out think it but it always beat me to the punch. Also it made no mistakes. Me? Hum?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69mach351w