News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Was the GT40 auction on tv?

Started by Coralsnake, January 12, 2019, 09:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Ahhh, did I miss it? I was expecting to see it between 8-9pm est

Wedgeman

acman63

wonder if they had any real bids .  when theres a reserve they can shill bid it up  with no consequences
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Sfm6sxxx

Quote from: acman63 on January 12, 2019, 10:30:41 PM
wonder if they had any real bids .  when theres a reserve they can shill bid it up  with no consequences
Apparently, Frank Mecum couldn't cut the fees enough to convince Dana Mecum to drop the reserve to see if it would take off..... 

6S1114

Shelby_r_b

I was there watching. There was one phone bidder and, literally, Frank was standing in the front raising a "Proxy" sign to enter bids against the phone bidder.

Interesting.
Nothing beats a classic!

Coralsnake

I really question the order of cars on this one?

The GT 40, Super Snake and Ferrarris are not prime time?

Greg

Quote from: acman63 on January 12, 2019, 10:30:41 PM

++1

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

BGlover67

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 13, 2019, 08:34:02 AM

That's because they knew Ruben couldn't stay for prime time, and they didn't want him to miss anything.   ;D
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Sfm6sxxx

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on January 13, 2019, 06:46:17 AM
I was there watching. There was one phone bidder and, literally, Frank was standing in the front raising a "Proxy" sign to enter bids against the phone bidder.

Interesting.
Who drove it up on stage?  I would have paid good money just to watch either of them trying to get in/out of it.

6S1114

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: BGlover67 on January 13, 2019, 10:04:08 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on January 13, 2019, 08:34:02 AM

That's because they knew Ruben couldn't stay for prime time, and they didn't want him to miss anything.   ;D

LOL!!!

To answer the question of who drove it - it was a lot supervisor (AKA "Blue Shirt").

Needless to say, the driver never got out of the car. 😜
Nothing beats a classic!

SFM6S087

This was on TV. I think they split up their broadcast coverage on Saturday. Something like noon to 3:30pm, and then another hour later that night. I can't remember the exact times. But the GT40 was very late in the evening TV broadcast. I watched it on my set.

Steve

roddster

Seemed to me it was the late afternoon broadcast (about 3:45 Chicago time).  Funny, OK, we all know that it is a valuable car but bids jumping a million  (and more) plus at a time??

Chad

Shelby_r_b

The cobra did not sell.  It got to $1,050,000.  This is the second straight Kissimmee auction it's been to, and both times ended in a no sale.  I believe this one is owned personally by the Mecums.
Nothing beats a classic!