Author Topic: Shelby Prototype 65/66 Shelby GT350 / GT500 Trunk Spoiler on auction  (Read 1740 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Hi all,

The seller is claiming this spoiler is a prototype.  I am not sure how he can show pedigree that it is a prototype.  Here is the seller's description:

Genuine Shelby 1965 GT350 prototype rear spoiler. Great condition with one or two very small imperfections. Will fit most mustangs 1965-1967 to the best of my knowledge. The fit and finish is fantastic.

Cory

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-Prototype-65-66-Shelby-GT350-GT500-Trunk-Spoiler/264138403503?hash=item3d7fe02eaf:g:FLkAAOSwwDJcPM7N:rk:10:pf:0

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Prototype 65/66 Shelby GT350 / GT500 Trunk Spoiler on auction
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 03:24:46 PM »
The car the decklid is on was on ebay in March of 2016.  It is 6S439.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 03:26:21 PM »
Shots of the back side (lid and end caps)  might be telling - to see if its an early version of the Berry made rear spoilers. Have one in the garage that came on the wife's car - Likely install in 66 or 67 from what I can tell so far. May have been added at Dana.

Prototype like allot of terms gets thrown around allot any more it appears

Did just check and I do have pictures of the back side and the end cap attaching method  ::)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:30:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 07:21:09 PM »
I thought the Berry plastic decklids had some edge detail/bevel along the bottom of the decklid, carrying over onto the end caps.  Am I mistaken, or was that a different company?

p.s. Forgive my slip of the term 'plastic' above; I was not referring to the material of construction, but apparently mis-attributed Berry with a company named Berry Plastics that came from the recesses of a challenged memory...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:00:04 PM by TJinSA »
Tom Kubler
6S296

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:21:41 PM »
I thought the Berry plastic decklids had some edge detail/bevel along the bottom of the decklid, carrying over onto the end caps.  Am I mistaken, or was that a different company?

Don't believe Berry was making plastic trunk kits back then and don't recall any edge oddity that I can recall, though they did use the term "Plasti-glass" in their advertisements of the time.

The quickest identification feature was the lack of provision for the Mustang or Shelby trunk lock. This detail can be seen in ads for the trunk lids in the later 60's

If the one in the ad is indeed from the car mentioned above it's fiberglass like the one installed on our car not sure where the "Plasti" comes into the process

Have pictures of five 65-66's  a number of them from the rear with this style of trunk lid. 

On the old site there was a fairly long thread discussing different peoples belief on who was the first to design and come up with the design. Think there is still a web site up with one persons story.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:34:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »
Hmmm.  In the text of the listing it states that it fits Mustangs "65/67".  Everybody here knows that it will not fit the 67s.