News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Random thoughts from Barrett Jackson 2019

Started by JWH, January 16, 2019, 11:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWH

First, thank you SAAC and the REGISTRARS for the invaluable role you play protecting the gene pool of original Shelby cars. There are maybe 50 reproduction Cobras, Daytona Coupes and GT40s on offer from Superformance and Factory Five ready to drive home today. In addition, there are numerous "tributes" to Shelby Mustangs ready to go through the auction. Without SAAC and the Registrars, the gene pool of Shelbys would be a mosh pit.

Second, Craig Jackson and Jason Billups gave an hour long talk on Tuesday about both the Green Hornet and Little Red. Jason's shop is in NE Oklahoma and they restored the Green Hornet and are now working on Little Red. If you have read up on the Green Hornet and finding Little Red on the SAAC Forum and elsewhere, really nothing new was revealed yesterday other than we can look for a documentary on the restoration of the Green Hornet in April or May of this year. Jason said that the son of the man who installed the Conelec system came and set up the Conelec on the Green Hornet. If I recall correctly, the son was present and helped his father with the original install and to see the car roll again after many years was a moving experience. The Green Hornet was on prominent display in the "Craig's Cars" area just outside the auction tent.
       Jason is a very nice guy, very approachable and I asked him after the talk if they had decided yet which iteration of Little Red they would chose for the restoration. He said that had not been decided yet but said Craig Jackson told him he wanted the coolest looking version but also the fastest version. I am throwing out my personal guess that it may be the 1967 look with inboards combined with the super-charged engine???
Jeff

Coralsnake

I have spoken to both Jason and Craig, I would put my money on the 1967 version with at least one supercharger.

;D

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 16, 2019, 02:48:58 PM
I have spoken to both Jason and Craig, I would put my money on the 1967 version with at least one supercharger.

;D
So Pete, with all your expertise in many things Shelby, do you think that is a faithful, historical restoration?

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Coralsnake

You are speaking of the Green Hornet?

Full disclosure, I was involved and assisted in the EFI installation.

Based on the current and most recent research, it is correct as it can be.

Richstang

I thought QSS meant "Little Red" as he quoted you on.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

6s1640

Tonight I saw a 2007 GT500 with 113 miles sell for $41K + fees = $45K.  This is a 12 year old brand new car.  Do you suppose the selling owner is crying?  I expect they lost money (assuming they are the original purchaser).  Heck of a deal for the buyer.  IIRC, when these early late model brand new GT500's were sold new, they came with a hefty dealer markup.   Was it $60 to $70 for one of these cars back then?  Crazy.  Drive'm and enjoy them.

Cory

CharlesTurner

Quote from: 6s1640 on January 17, 2019, 12:31:15 AM
Tonight I saw a 2007 GT500 with 113 miles sell for $41K + fees = $45K.  This is a 12 year old brand new car.  Do you suppose the selling owner is crying?  I expect they lost money (assuming they are the original purchaser).  Heck of a deal for the buyer.  IIRC, when these early late model brand new GT500's were sold new, they came with a hefty dealer markup.   Was it $60 to $70 for one of these cars back then?  Crazy.  Drive'm and enjoy them.

Probably needed to hold onto it longer.  I'm sure the seller, if the original owner, took a big loss... not even factoring in inflation.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

Little Red... the car had several variations. Craig has collected some insane, unseen photos. He has also interviewed one of the guys that built the car at SA

427heaven

As a test mule, these cars could have had anything done to them. Paxtons, webbers, tunnel ports, trick suspensions, you name it, these are the things most of us dream of and are what really becomes day two stuff. Would I kick these cars to the curb because it was not assembly line correct, OH MY- most definitely not... Craig and the BJ gang love true performance cars as do many of us. Cant wait to here what he is doing to it. :D

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: Richstang on January 16, 2019, 10:08:54 PM
Yes I was talking about "little Red".  I realize that Pete was involved in the Green Hornet restoration so I had full confidence that car was restored faithfully to what is deemed "historically correct".

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

shelbydoug

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on January 17, 2019, 09:35:25 AM
Quote from: Richstang on January 16, 2019, 10:08:54 PM
Yes I was talking about "little Red".  I realize that Pete was involved in the Green Hornet restoration so I had full confidence that car was restored faithfully to what is deemed "historically correct".

QSS

On cars like this since it had several variations you need to pick a point in time to restore it to.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

I can here the crying now...if Craig said he was going to restore it to be the 1968  version of the car

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 17, 2019, 09:53:03 AM
I can here the crying now...if Craig said he was going to restore it to be the 1968  version of the car

I think that the issue is it is better known in 67 garb?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

With any prototype/engineering car, when it comes to restoration, it's the owner's choice as to what point in time to put it back as.  This can be tricky as there may have been future mods that may have required such things as additional holes or modification of the body/parts.

Without choosing a point in time for the restoration, it just gets confusing and hard to explain.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

KerryBWhite

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 17, 2019, 07:36:55 AM
Craig has collected some insane, unseen photos. He has also interviewed one of the guys that built the car at SA

Will any of the these photos be posted on the Little Red website, along with the interview anytime in the near future?