Author Topic: Random thoughts from Barrett Jackson 2019  (Read 16449 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Random thoughts from Barrett Jackson 2019
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 12:12:34 PM »
I do not know. I do Craig is planning a documentary. I dont think thats a secret.

owenkelley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »
Tonight I saw a 2007 GT500 with 113 miles sell for $41K + fees = $45K.  This is a 12 year old brand new car.  Do you suppose the selling owner is crying?  I expect they lost money (assuming they are the original purchaser).  Heck of a deal for the buyer.  IIRC, when these early late model brand new GT500's were sold new, they came with a hefty dealer markup.   Was it $60 to $70 for one of these cars back then?  Crazy.  Drive'm and enjoy them.

Cory

I paid just under $50,000 for my '07 when I bought it, $5000 over MSRP. In the Northwest it seemed like most dealers were charging around $10,000 over so I felt mine was a decent buy at the time. I wanted a car to buy new and never part with. It now has over 50,000 miles on it and is probably worth less than half of what I paid for it, but I'm okay with that. I knew it was going to depreciate, and I never plan on selling it so it doesn't matter. Personally when people were buying these cars thinking they were investments I thought they were nuts. I would have recommended going out and buying a '68 or '69 GT350 or a classic car of some type that wouldn't have been too much more at the time and already had a history of appreciation. At least then they could have driven it and enjoyed it a bit rather than leaving it in the garage and staring at it while it depreciated........

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 04:52:30 PM »
2007 GT500 is not a rare Mustang nor part of a rare series of Shelby named cars.  Still an amazing value for a 500 HP or more car and fun to drive, but not a collector car with tens of thouse=ands prduced over the 2007-14 series.  Save the new car plastic wrap for the garage floor and drive it for fun. 8)

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 09:03:11 PM »
I can here the crying now...if Craig said he was going to restore it to be the 1968  version of the car
No crying from me.  I just value your opinion.  I would rather hear from you on how it should be restored rather than from Craig Jackson.  He's a "used car salesman" through and though.  Yes he has a passion for Shelby's but he would tell you anything to pump up the value of what is in his possession.

I would rather hear the opinion/truth from an enthusiast first and a salesman second. The enthusiast, who happens to have an excess of knowledge, will tell you as it is.   The salesman will just sugar coat it.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 12:02:46 AM »
Kerry - based on the Craig Jackson's demeanor at the Green Hornet/Little Red symposium on Tuesday, I would bet no new pictures or information will be released. It was clear Craig wants to gin up interest in the documentary to make some $$$. I don't fault him for wanting to cash in on these cars, but I do hope that anyone and everyone who has a picture or a story or a part that belongs to the Green Hornet or Little Red SELLS it to Craig for top dollar as he is going to turn around and use it for his own profit.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 07:30:17 AM »
ddi I see a $ 71,000 Mustang fastback?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 08:26:56 AM »
I can here the crying now...if Craig said he was going to restore it to be the 1968  version of the car
No crying from me.  I just value your opinion.  I would rather hear from you on how it should be restored rather than from Craig Jackson.  He's a "used car salesman" through and though.  Yes he has a passion for Shelby's but he would tell you anything to pump up the value of what is in his possession.

I would rather hear the opinion/truth from an enthusiast first and a salesman second. The enthusiast, who happens to have an excess of knowledge, will tell you as it is.   The salesman will just sugar coat it.

QSS

To say that it should be restored to the final version, using how it was found as that criteria doesn't solve the problem definitively either.

Take for example how the Green Hornet was found. It had been stripped of things like the Conelec and the IRS. Is that the final version? Not really but there needs to be a Referee on clarification and we are presuming that in fact we know the last configuration the car was in while "the factory" still had it. IMO it isn't necessarily completely black and white.

I think that is just part of deciding to what KNOWN period the car can be restored to.

There are other non-"Shelby Mustang" cars as of recent this applies to. The 289 Cobra that Steve Juliano restored, Shelby's CSX 3015, the GT40 "Roadster" that started as a coupe, that they just cut the roof off of. So it isn't as black and white as it seems. Someone in authority needs to make a judgement on that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 09:37:17 AM »
Someone in authority needs to make a judgement on that.
That's pretty much what I was driving at.  I figured Pete might be one person who could make that judgement without being swayed by the almighty dollar.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »
Personally, I think the 1967 version is the most historic.

I do like it as a red 1968 coupe though  :D

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
65 GT350

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 12:35:21 PM »
Someone in authority needs to make a judgement on that.
That's pretty much what I was driving at.  I figured Pete might be one person who could make that judgement without being swayed by the almighty dollar.

QSS

The person laying out the money is the authority. How wisely that is done will ultimately be judged by how well the new buyer loves it.

"How well you love Tinman, is judged by how well others love you."  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 02:24:13 PM »
Personally, I think the 1967 version is the most historic.

I do like it as a red 1968 coupe though  :D

^^^ yes
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 03:04:33 PM »
As much as I personally would prefer to see it built in the original configuration;
(Magstars, inboard slanted grille, body color painted taillight panel, and quite likely NO vinyl roof as it was delivered from San Jose)

I suspect it will be restored to the second version as we all have seen in the early LLTC B&W photos dated 7/7/67.

Most of us will just have to wait until the Nov (MCACN?), assuming it gets completed by then.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 03:29:58 PM »
ddi I see a $ 71,000 Mustang fastback?

Yes, here's the link.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1966-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-K-CODE-FASTBACK-226226

Looks like the day 2,3 and 4... mods did not stop this Shelby wannabe from getting top dollar.
MCA trailered Gold 2009, must be before the mods?? :o

Darryll