Author Topic: Today in Automotive History - Eleanor goes down PG13 version. 11- 01- 2007  (Read 5351 times)

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
Re: Today in Auomotive History - Eleanor goes down PG13 version. 11- 01- 2007
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 07:40:19 AM »
13 gallons of Bondo... in one car?!?!?  Was there ANY sheet metal left?
  I'm thinking it might be 1 or 2 Gallons of Bondo per car (and know that most of it is sanded off) and the other 10 Gallons added to the Bill was just a way to skim Money off the top.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Today in Auomotive History - Eleanor goes down PG13 version. 11- 01- 2007
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 08:10:07 AM »
rumor has it that if just one more ounce of plastic was added , they would have reclassified them as corvettes...

13 gallons of Bondo... in one car?!?!?  Was there ANY sheet metal left?
  I'm thinking it might be 1 or 2 Gallons of Bondo per car (and know that most of it is sanded off) and the other 10 Gallons added to the Bill was just a way to skim Money off the top.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Re: Today in Automotive History - Eleanor goes down PG13 version. 11- 01- 2007
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 09:31:15 AM »
Whatever happened to the main players at Unique?
   Well Chip Foose designed all that stuff and made off like a bandit, a few went to the Graybar hotel and the rest just seemed to scatter like rats if it was proven to the Feds that they had no real interest in bilking customers funds. I am not privy how the legal proceedings went but what was the equivalent to 10 cents on the dollar went to a few clients. That wouldn't lesson the sting at all but it was a dark time for sure to ride the wave of these cars.

Steve Sanford designed Eleanor. Chip Foose only helped develop the 1:1 body in clay so the parts could be molded.

Rich,
Just a question...do you mean Steve Stanford?  I knew him, back in the '80s. Nice guy and great car illustrator.

Yes. I forgot the "t".

Steve Stanford was the illustrator who penned the creation of Eleanor.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 09:36:54 AM »
   Well Chip Foose designed all that stuff and made off like a bandit, a few went to the Graybar hotel and the rest just seemed to scatter like rats if it was proven to the Feds that they had no real interest in bilking customers funds. I am not privy how the legal proceedings went but what was the equivalent to 10 cents on the dollar went to a few clients. That wouldn't lesson the sting at all but it was a dark time for sure to ride the wave of these cars.

Chip Foose designed the Car for "Disney" and made off like a bandit.  He had nothing to do with building any of the Aftermarket Cars.

Chip Foose did not design Eleanor. It was Steve Stanford. Chip is an amazing custom car designer, but he only helped make the 1:1 prototype. He followed the illustration that was already created by Steve. If you have any doubts, look it up. 

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »

+ 1

Chip Foose designed the Car for "Disney" and made off like a bandit.  He had nothing to do with building any of the Aftermarket Cars.

Chip Foose did not design Eleanor. It was Steve Stanford. Chip is an amazing custom car designer, but he only helped make the 1:1 prototype. He followed the illustration that was already created by Steve. If you have any doubts, look it up.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 10:22:43 AM »
https://www.sydneyeleanorhire.net.au/blogs/sydney-eleanor-hire-blog/chip-foose-making-shelby-gt500-eleanors

Steve Sanford designed Eleanor BUT, Chip was given the Green Light to work off the Drawing and make any changes he wanted and Chip built 15 Cars for the Movie.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 10:46:15 AM »
https://www.sydneyeleanorhire.net.au/blogs/sydney-eleanor-hire-blog/chip-foose-making-shelby-gt500-eleanors

Steve Sanford designed Eleanor BUT, Chip was given the Green Light to work off the Drawing and make any changes he wanted and Chip built 15 Cars for the Movie.

That's fair. It cover both our points.
 8)

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 11:07:21 AM »
From Stanford's Facebook page.

According to Steve the rendering in the upper left is the original that Eleanor was based off of.

While I'm not a fan of all of these "Eleanor" Mustangs being built, I am a fan of Steve Stanford's art.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »

That's fair. It cover both our points.
 8)

It's pretty cool that Foose also helped with the Movie Production.  Having all the Cars lined up and when the one being used in the Movie got damaged, he had to damage all the others to like the one being used at the time.  That's something I didn't think about.