Author Topic: Shelby’s undervalued?  (Read 3698 times)

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
Shelby’s undervalued?
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »
I know I am biased ;) but does anyone else feel that Shelby’s in general (with a few exceptions I.e. 65s/kr convertibles/r models) are undervalued in relation to other muscle cars given their uniqueness /rarity?Love to hear what folks think on this one.....

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby’s undervalued?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »
I know I am biased ;) but does anyone else feel that Shelby’s in general (with a few exceptions I.e. 65s/kr convertibles/r models) are undervalued in relation to other muscle cars given their uniqueness /rarity?Love to hear what folks think on this one.....

I never thought about the value when I purchased any of my past or current Shelbys. I wanted the car, could afford to buy it, and did.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »
Couple things

If a 66 can bring 400k then maybe that’s a new high water mark that others (66’s) will approach.
I think 67-350 are very much undervalued and a nice example should bring as much as any 66 and more than a 67-500 “apples to apples.”  There are way way fewer 67-350 than either a 66 or a 67-500.
Fewer produced and fewer (even) remaing. 
I think 68’s are slightly undervalued.
69/70 cars are a “jump ball” with several variables which limit generalizing that group in anything less than a few paragraphs.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 02:31:10 PM »
When it comes to GM and Mopar, only the rarest and biggest powered cars come close to a decent Shelby values, very few exceed Shelby values.

Most of them can be had for $30-$70,000. Not going to find many Shelbys in that realm.

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 02:45:01 PM »
When it comes to GM and Mopar, only the rarest and biggest powered cars come close to a decent Shelby values, very few exceed Shelby values.

Most of them can be had for $30-$70,000. Not going to find many Shelbys in that realm.

Wurd
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »

69/70 cars are a “jump ball” with several variables which limit generalizing that group in anything less than a few paragraphs.

I hear if it is Grabber Orange you need to add 20% to the value. :D
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 04:40:03 PM »
^^
For sure one of the desirable colors!
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 04:49:46 PM »
I do not own one, but I would agree with 67 and 68 Shelbys are under valued.  It seems that there is more appreciation and value  for a modified 67/68 Mustang fastback to look like a mis-named, lack of heritage movie car with funny hood, side pipes and stripes.

And then there are the early generation Corvettes that command way more value when modified with modern engine, wheels and sutpension than if original.  Strange market.  In another generation, maybe the values will be higher if all collector cars than have been modified with hybrid engines or all electric power and are self driven to the shows and on the tracks. Just add a crash dummy with a helmet.8)

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 06:53:10 PM »
I do not own one, but I would agree with 67 and 68 Shelbys are under valued.  It seems that there is more appreciation and value  for a modified 67/68 Mustang fastback to look like a mis-named, lack of heritage movie car with funny hood, side pipes and stripes.

And then there are the early generation Corvettes that command way more value when modified with modern engine, wheels and sutpension than if original.  Strange market.  In another generation, maybe the values will be higher if all collector cars than have been modified with hybrid engines or all electric power and are self driven to the shows and on the tracks. Just add a crash dummy with a helmet.8)

Under valued or under priced?  I am going to go under priced, because at their current pricing that makes them a great value, a good deal to purchase.  This also might mean these 67-68 are a better investment if they are under priced.  But don't just buy for investment.  You need to enjoy driving the car and the hobby first.

Cory

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 09:25:14 PM »

+ 1 bill

I never thought about the value when I purchased any of my past or current Shelbys. I wanted the car, could afford to buy it, and did.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 11:46:55 PM »
Value has a direct connection to how many people want it. Some are not under valued just fewer people want them so they don't get the bidding war if you will over them. Yes CS cars are rarer than 99% of the GM & Chrysler models so of course they pull more money.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless