Author Topic: headlight trim ring paint or chrome  (Read 2661 times)

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
headlight trim ring paint or chrome
« on: January 19, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
On my GT500 that I'm getting painted should the headlight rings be chrome or painted?  #706 built in Jan '67 and also the center light trim rings.  Thanks Tony

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: headlight trim ring paint or chrome
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »
On my GT500 that I'm getting painted should the headlight rings be chrome or painted?  #706 built in Jan '67 and also the center light trim rings.  Thanks Tony
Typically chrome by the time #706 was built.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 07:05:42 AM »
Great thanks Bob

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »
  It is easier to paint over chrome than to chrome over paint.

This is an "early" (very early) or a "later" production thing.

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 09:42:15 AM »
I wanted to revisit this topic with some clarity and questions.

Car #00706 was built at San Jose 1/18/67, but was not completed by Shelby American at LAX until 2/17/67.
Since the trim rings were not added by Ford the SA completion date is important and should be considered.

I recently saw a car in the #00240’s VIN range (believed to be a survivor) with painted headlight trim rings.
Its San Jose build date was 12/12/66 and its Shelby American completion date at LAX was 1/4/67.
So far this appears to be the highest VIN number I’ve seen with painted headlight trim rings.
Has anyone seen chrome trim rings on an original car earlier (either VIN # or completion date), or painted trim rings later (again either VIN number or completion date)?

This is one of those details that doesn’t get talked about much and many cars appear to get restored with chrome trim rings, unless very early.
An old 1.0 forum thread noted the chrome trim rings started use during the 2 piece slanted grille time frame (after early December, possibly as late as January).
Can anyone elaborate when ‘approximately’ did this transition to chrome take place?

We also know these four (4) trim rings are smaller than the standard 67 Mustang pieces.
Were they made specifically for the ‘67 Shelby’s, or were these borrowed from the Ford parts bin and found on any other cars? (I’m guessing Shelby specific)
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 01:44:08 PM »

Car #00706 was built at San Jose 1/18/67, but was not completed by Shelby American at LAX until 2/17/67.
Since the trim rings were not added by Ford the SA completion date is important and should be considered.

I recently saw a car in the #00240’s VIN range (believed to be a survivor) with painted headlight trim rings.
Its San Jose build date was 12/12/66 and its Shelby American completion date at LAX was 1/4/67.
So far this appears to be the highest VIN number I’ve seen with painted headlight trim rings.
Has anyone seen chrome trim rings on an original car earlier (either VIN # or completion date), or painted trim rings later (again either VIN number or completion date)?

This is one of those details that doesn’t get talked about much and many cars appear to get restored with chrome trim rings, unless very early.
An old 1.0 forum thread noted the chrome trim rings started use during the 2 piece slanted grille time frame (after early December, possibly as late as January).
Can anyone elaborate when ‘approximately’ did this transition to chrome take place?

We also know these four (4) trim rings are smaller than the standard 67 Mustang pieces.
Were they made specifically for the ‘67 Shelby’s, or were these borrowed from the Ford parts bin and found on any other cars? (I’m guessing Shelby specific)

There is a SA Blueprint for these.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 09:02:41 AM »

There is a SA Blueprint for these.

Thanks JD

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 11:31:32 AM »

I'm hoping to define this SAI running change a bit closer to the changeover from the Painted Headlight Trim Rings to Chrome.
Does anyone have vintage photos of a car completed by SAI in January (Dec or Feb might help too) that show either version?
If so please share them here or PM me.

Thanks for any help on this topic

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
  The cover of March 1967 Sports Car Graphic shows #0100 (I think) in it's body color and center rings in black out.  Back then, they needed 4 to 5 months to get the artcle out, so, November-ish car or so.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 01:59:37 PM »
Thanks

Some further research based on vintage photos shows

#00050; was photographed on 12/13/66 for the SCG magazine (white GT350) with Painted trim rings
#00173; was photographed on 1/6/67 for the MT magazine (Lime Gold GT500) with Painted trim rings (SAI completion 12/12/66)
#00050; was photographed again on 2/17/67 for MT magazine, but now wearing Chrome trim rings.

This would seem to indicate the change to Chrome trim rings occurred between 12/12/66 and 2/17/67.
Any vintage pictures from the time frame would be very helpful

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:05:51 PM by Richstang »

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 03:54:06 PM »
  The cover of March 1967 Sports Car Graphic shows #0100 (I think) in it's body color and center rings in black out.  Back then, they needed 4 to 5 months to get the artcle out, so, November-ish car or so.

Yes, that is 0100 on the cover of the March '67 issue of Sports Car Graphic.  The photos were taken on 12/09/66.  The car had black painted trim rings around the center mounted high beams and red painted trim rings around the fender mounted low beams.  Based on the photos I have of the car, I believe the car was built by Shelby American in November of '66; and the Car and Driver and Road & Track photos were taken prior to December 2nd.

Thanks,
Eric
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:24:26 PM by 67411F--0100-ENG. »