Author Topic: 67 photos from the web  (Read 64630 times)

honker

• View Profile
Re: 67 photos from the web
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2019, 03:19:17 PM »
Found this one some where on the 'net. Mario Andretti, caption said, Daytona 24 1970. White '67, no stripes, with what looks like a parchment interior. Haven't looked in my registry yet, to see how many had this combination.

Mike

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2019, 04:29:14 PM »
Found this one some where on the 'net. Mario Andretti, caption said, Daytona 24 1970. White '67, no stripes, with what looks like a parchment interior. Haven't looked in my registry yet, to see how many had this combination.

Mike

Nice find Mike!

It appears there were 29 white with parchment '67s built.
Only three white GT350s were made, completed in March.
The rest (26) were white GT500s (I suspect this one in the photo is too).

The Goodyear large letter tire is unexpected on a parchment interior car.
The white parchment cars don't get completed by SA until late January well past when the tires end in production.
This may be a wheel swapped car...unless the Large Letter Goodyear tires were available as replacements?
I was under the impression the molds were changed when they switched to the small letters.

EDIT: Since the photo was taken in 1970, in my narrow blinders 67 focus, I forgot they used the large letters in '68 too.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:03:10 PM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2019, 04:48:31 PM »

Mike

No factory Lemans stripes on any production '67s.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2019, 06:15:22 PM »
Thanks Rich & shelbydoug, when I said no stripes, I was aware that no production cars had them, I read here somewhere that the stripes were added by dealers, is that correct ? I remember there was also a discussion about that Shelby ad that showed '67s with stripes. Is there any documentation as to the earliest instance when stripes started appearing on cars ? Not disputing anything, just curious, always ready to learn. Does that old thread about '67 stripes exist on this version of the forum, or was it the old one ?

Mike

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2019, 06:23:19 PM »
Thanks Rich & shelbydoug, when I said no stripes, I was aware that no production cars had them, I read here somewhere that the stripes were added by dealers, is that correct ? I remember there was also a discussion about that Shelby ad that showed '67s with stripes. Is there any documentation as to the earliest instance when stripes started appearing on cars ? Not disputing anything, just curious, always ready to learn. Does that old thread about '67 stripes exist on this version of the forum, or was it the old one ?

Mike

Added by dealers or owners on '67's.

Stripes by the factory (Shelby American) or Dealers in '65.  (These were a tip-of-the-hat to Briggs Cunningham a his cars that competed in competition in the '50's racing around the world and the fact that White with dark blue were the national colors of the USA in international racing).

Stripes on '67's appeared in ads prior to the cars being released, there was a one-page and two-page version of the ad - one ad is the version you posted above.  will locate and post the other ...

Here is the ad you posted in color...

and the (Autolite) 2-page version illustration of two Shelby's and a Jag racing...

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:32:24 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2019, 06:43:19 PM »
I've never seen proof of a '67 with factory or dealer installed Lemans stripes. I'm still looking.

There is a photo of a display at Road America / Elkhart Lake, WI showing a White '67 with lemans stripes, a Nightmist Blue '67 without them, and the GT40 P/1064. I would guess the stripes were added by the dealer who put together the display, Northwestern Motor Cars; Milwaukee, WI.
The only one white car shipped there with wheel covers was the GT350 #1681. The SA Invoice and /or Production Order may tell us more.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:51:30 PM by Richstang »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2019, 07:00:02 PM »

Mike

The last time I spoke to Dave Mathews I asked again, have you found any '67s invoiced with stripes. The answer is no.

Artistic license is what I say about the illustration.

As I recall, even on '65s the original invoiced stripe cars was in the minority. I'm sure Howard has updated the numbers but I want to say 33%. As with anything it depends on whether one sees the glass as half full or half empty but I don't think it's a stretch to say they weren't very popular.

Where I'm from, I don't like anything that makes me more of a target. Stealth is the way I go. Even I could nail those stripes with a Laws rocket from 1/2 mile.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2019, 08:34:22 PM »
Rich, here's another one I have in my files. could be the same car as in my pic of Andretti at Daytona ? GT500, looks to be parchment interior, inboards, ding on the right by the headlight, are those the same lettered Goodyears ? parked at the Sebring 12 hour, 1969. has a pass on the right side of the window, maybe a competitor ?

Mike

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2019, 09:17:31 PM »
One more, also dated March '69 like the one above, but doesn't show here when I resized, from the same series of pics, I think they might have been on E-Bay ? The person who shot these liked '67s.

I'm not sure if this is Sebring, or my previous post as a matter of fact ! looks like the person standing behind the V-Dub bus is looking at the track, could that be the banking in the distance ? or waiting for the john  ;)  There is that ball above the tent on the right, wasn't that at Daytona ? I was there for the 24 in '67 but can't remember it.

Mike

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2019, 10:09:06 PM »
^^^^^ looks like it may have a chin spoiler too.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2019, 11:13:36 PM »
Rich, here's another one I have in my files. could be the same car as in my pic of Andretti at Daytona ? GT500, looks to be parchment interior, inboards, ding on the right by the headlight, are those the same lettered Goodyears ? parked at the Sebring 12 hour, 1969. has a pass on the right side of the window, maybe a competitor ?

Mike

Nice follow-up to the other photo!!!
It appears to be a GT500 (1 of 26 in white with parchment interior).
The inboard grille is a vertical version, but still fits within all 26 SA completion dates.
I agree they look like the large letter tires.

Looking at my dealer list only two were sold in Florida, both to JD Ball Ford. (I'm not saying it's definitely one of these two, but the chances are good)

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2019, 12:04:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure I had this one up on the old forum. Don't know where it is, could be a race track ?

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2019, 12:39:19 AM »
I do not know the story behind this ‘67 pic.

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2019, 12:42:44 AM »
I believe this is an original ‘67 press photo.  I’ve seen it before and always thought it was a very cool pic.

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2019, 01:20:23 AM »
I believe this is an original ‘67 press photo.  I’ve seen it before and always thought it was a very cool pic.

Hello,

This photo is an out-take from the Car and Driver photos that were taken of 0100 for their February 1967 issue.

Thanks,
Eric