News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Easiest way to remove a/c clutch, to install new bearing 70 351w

Started by PR, January 23, 2019, 07:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR

I am replacing all idlers and need to install new clutch bearing, system is charged and working r12, so I want to remove a/c clutch on car, I have everything apart and center bolt is out and have tried a puller kit but it didn't have the correct lug and center bolt to remove, I have not done this before and can use some advice on the correct way without damaging it, I believe it's a Pitts unit, thanks in advance,Pete

tesgt350

It is pressed on with a Nut to help secure it.  Swing by a Pep Boys or Auto Zone if you have them there, they have Tools that you barrow.

KR Convertible

If it is the standard type clutch, it should have 5/8-11 threads in the center where the clutch bolt goes in.  Screw in the 5/8 bolt into the clutch and it will push against the shaft on the compressor to free the clutch.

KR Convertible

Once removed from the compressor, there should be two snap rings holding the bearing.

PR

Thanks Guys, I did get a kit from auto zone, but did not have the correct parts, I have the bolt to press off and I believe I need a 3 prong spaner wrench to hold center while tightening the bolt,I just didn't want to damage the unit

KR Convertible

You can usually hold it with the belt and give it a quick blast with an impact gun if necessary.

TLea

Quote from: KR Convertible on January 24, 2019, 02:40:11 PM
You can usually hold it with the belt and give it a quick blast with an impact gun if necessary.
+1