Author Topic: correct fasteners for trim ring on 69 Shelby front grill  (Read 3501 times)

carm

• View Profile
correct fasteners for trim ring on 69 Shelby front grill
« on: January 19, 2019, 02:03:42 PM »
Can someone show me what the original trim ring fasteners on the 69 Shelby grill should look like. Are same fasteners used for the grill snake and top grill brace?

carm

• View Profile
Re: correct fasteners for trim ring on 69 Shelby front grill
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:01:49 PM »
Five years ago I purchase an old grill for a 69-70 Shelby. It came off of a donner Shelby. Now I took it out to see if the snake and trim ring fasteners were the same as the ones on my car. They were not. The old grill had small flat metal rectangulars that you push pins through. Also I’m not certain that the ones on my car are correct neither.There, I have little washers and nuts holding the trim ring. The fasteners holding the snake look more legit. Would appreciate your help in sorting this out. Thanks, Carm.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:07:20 PM by carm »

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
The square push-on clip holding the top grill bar to the grill looks correct but the grill ring & snake use round washers & round push-on clips. AMK products has correct hardware as when max started in the hardware business i sent him original samples for him to go by as some of the unique shelby & b9 hardware isnt in the regular mustang assembly manuals.

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 04:44:25 PM »
On mine ring pins are squares.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 04:48:11 PM »
On mine ring pins are squares.
Yes the original grill ring (race track in Shelby speak) had the pins square . Repros are round.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 06:30:08 PM »
rectangle, turn and pull off or on
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

carm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 08:34:37 PM »
Ok then, all the fasteners including the ones for the grill top bar, bright trim ring and Cobra emblem should be the square push type. :o

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:20:31 PM »
NO  U need to go by a low mile unmolested car for documenting. Tony photo shows rectangular & turn & pull off or on but the post stud is square so what difference does it make to turn a unthreaded part? Tonys grill ring has been off car just look at backside of moulding it should be silver like carm photo. The original pushon clips werent meant to be reused as u will usually break the ears off removing unless u are very careful & use the right tools & try to unspring the little ears around the center hole. If u try to unscrew the clip off the square stud u will round off the corners or twist alum stud off & that is why many originals that have been removed years ago have  some studs missing. I have had several nos grill rings in the ford box & no hardware was ever included so more common rectangular spring clips were used & if rectangular clips are pushed on & get twisted wrong the ends will be seen looking thru front of grill where as the original round type wont be seen from front of grill looking in & look better from backside. Carm photo show 2 center studs with the original washers behind the 2 nuts someone later added. Order f-1507  amk products grill moulding & snake round washers & clips & while your ordering look at other 69 shelby hardware kits available because if your cars been partly apart years ago chances are more hardware is wrong.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:33:43 PM »
Hi Ed,
so the one I posted is correct or incorrect for a 1969?
Thank you in advance.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:58 PM »
INCORRECT   The bottom photo in carms reply #1 shows the correct rectangular pushon spring clip for the studs on top grill bar & they usually never get removed. The 2 washers behind the 2 nuts  are correct in carms bottom photo but the 2 nuts were later added probly after the  original .37'' round pushon spring clips got broke trying to remove them. AMK products f-1507 kit has the round washers & pushon round spring clips for snake & grill trim ring,

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 11:43:41 PM »
INCORRECT   The bottom photo in carms reply #1 shows the correct rectangular pushon spring clip for the studs on top grill bar & they usually never get removed. The 2 washers behind the 2 nuts  are correct in carms bottom photo but the 2 nuts were later added probly after the  original .37'' round pushon spring clips got broke trying to remove them. AMK products f-1507 kit has the round washers & pushon round spring clips for snake & grill trim ring,

Thank you

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 07:00:33 AM »
I will try to post the assembly manual drawing later
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:16:52 AM by Coralsnake »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 05:11:03 PM »
At the very least, I think we should start by saying, "there might be some variation depending on when the car was produced"

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 06:46:38 PM »
Sorry thats so large, but wanted to include the part numbers

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 10:42:33 PM »
The 374177 (#9) round push nut is what I have always seen early or late but instead of S2 (PO) I have typically seen it the S100 (red). That S2 aspect may be a early finish.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby