Author Topic: Vintage Car Sunday at Trancas Shopping Center in Malibu  (Read 20815 times)

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Car Sunday at Trancas Shopping Center in Malibu
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 07:52:30 PM »
The only thing I gather from this thread is the Malibu police are getting complaints.   You have to find out what those complaints
are.  Is there reckless driving, peel outs,  no mufflers, etc?   Things like these are 'educational' issues that the 'powers to be' for
the gathering have to address to the crowd.
.   Pretty sure the L.A. county sheriffs (from lost hills station) patrol there...

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
Yes that is Sheriffs area and as someone pointed out McQueen lived over on Broad Beach (aka Billionaires Row).  There were very few complaints from residents as to the behavior of the crowd.  The crowd was very well behaved especially when considering the number of participants.  I never once got asked by any of the supervisors at the the station to monitor the event.  It was the businesses in the shopping center that complained.

I attended many of them,  either in my GT350 or while working (LA County Deputy).  The event seemed to be getting larger and larger with no end in sight.  I was told that only 2 weeks ago had all the prime parking gone by 6am. 

The latest rumor is that it may move over to Westlake Village off Agoura Rd.

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
Thanks and please keep us posted of where it goes.

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 07:37:17 PM »
Will do Doug,  I just rode by the area where it may move.

That would be a great location as far as parking goes. We would just
Have to bring coffee with us and the event organizers would have to put up a few
Port a potties.

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »
Again there is always Super Car Sunday

http://www.supercarsunday.com/

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 11:03:18 PM »
I just moved to the LA area but why isn't the other Malibu CnCs event, at the Bluffs, now the goto spot?
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 07:10:53 AM »
Bluffs can only hold maybe 60 cars

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »
The organizer of the popular cars and coffee event held once a month at Trancas Country Market (TCM), Andy Cohen, distributed flyers to attendees on March 4 announcing it was Malibu Vintage Car Gathering’s last day. Cohen did not mince words.

The flyer said, in part: “Citing city regulations that didn’t really apply to our event, the City of Malibu has forced the event to shut down...You would think that bringing peaceful and local nearby car enthusiasts to Trancas for just three early morning hours once a month to share their passion would not be something the City of Malibu would object to.”

The free event had gotten bigger and bigger since it started in 2014, drawing more and more people and cars.

Cohen, a longtime Malibu resident and co-owner of Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories, said in an interview, “I’ve been a big car enthusiast my whole life.” He and the former store manager of Vintage Grocers thought a car show could draw customers to the market and be fun for car enthusiasts.

“I was really nervous about the show becoming too popular and too big,” he said. “I didn’t allow any newspaper coverage and I asked people not to post things about it on social media.”

As the event grew, nearby resident Hans Laetz—general manager of KBU News—was getting fed up with the event and contacted attorney Ken Ehrlich, who represents TCM.

Laetz and Ehrlich each told a somewhat different story about what then transpired to close down the car event.

Laetz, in a phone interview, said he represented all Surfside Way residents when he first spoke to Ehrlich “two years ago.” He said all he was asking for was for the event to start an hour or more later.

“The thing drew hundreds of spectators and would start at 5 a.m. on a Sunday morning,” Laetz explained. “It was like pit-stop row at the dragway, and the fumes from leaded gas made my eyes water. It’s insane; you don’t do that to your neighbors. It’s a community grocery store, not a regional car show venue.”

According to Laetz, Ehrlich first said, “It’s our problem; we’ll take care of it.” He claims Ehrlich later backtracked, saying, “We can’t help it if our land is used by the car club. We don’t allow it or authorize it, and there isn’t anything we can do about it.”

Ehrlich’s account was different. He said he wasn’t contacted two years ago as Laetz claimed, but instead was awakened at 6 a.m. on Super Bowl Sunday this year by a call from Laetz, saying “The car show just woke me up, so I’m going to wake you up.”

“On behalf of TCM, I learned the car show was managed and produced by a third party, and that TCM was neutral on the car show’s existence,” Ehrlich said. “TCM allowed me to try to resolve all of Laetz’s complaints.” Third party Cohen said he offered to move the show to a later time and employ an off-duty sheriff to keep participants from making noise by revving their engines or peeling out.

When Ehrlich told Laetz the terms they agreed to had been met, he said Laetz basically reneged, saying the mitigations were unacceptable—that one hour later wasn’t going to do anything, noise would still affect his radio station, and one sheriff wasn’t going to deter the noise.

“Once Laetz got what he asked for, he then said it wasn’t agreeable and went to the city,” Ehrlich said.

“The city never could understand that Trancas Country Market had nothing to do with the car show,” Ehrlich recounted. “They thought TCM should be required to apply for Temporary Use Permits (TUP) for the car show events, and we had a difference of opinion. Once the city took that position, TCM was made responsible even though it didn’t manage the car events. TCM had no interest in applying for TUPs and finally had to inform Cohen that it would no longer allow the events.”

“For the time that it lasted, it was a fun, fun thing. I got crazy cars, mostly from Malibu and the Pacific Palisades,” Cohen described. “Every month, it got more and more crowded just by word-of-mouth. The people loved getting up early just to follow their passions and have a good time. It’s a community thing that doesn’t hurt anyone.”

In the meantime, a lot of Malibu car enthusiasts are mourning the loss of the show.

“I’m not going to fight City Hall,” Cohen said. “They were being very heavy handed, and it was just something for fun. It was never associated with my business and I never made money from it.”

Cohen said he might look for another venue, but only something on private property outside Malibu city limits.

City of Malibu Code Enforcement Officer Doug Cleavenger did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 05:03:26 PM »
  They probably called it "unlawful public assembly" a big loop hole often used. What a shame.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2018, 01:31:11 AM »
People should just show up anyways.  Nothing official.  Just a few (possibly few hundred guys) all parked and having coffee in the same parking lot.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
Heard a rumor that the show might be moving to Jim Rockford's beach...Paradise Cove.
Cool location. I had lunch there last week. 
But, there are residents very close by (mobile home park) who might not share the love.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick