News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Question about Ford Service Parts Punch Card

Started by BGlover67, January 20, 2019, 05:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

I just picked up these NOS Ford Service Parts 1965 GT badges, and they came with this interesting computer punch card.  To be honest, I've never seen one of these before and I found this to be pretty interesting.  Does anyone have any idea what year it is from?  Is this how Ford internally stored information?  The backside is blank.  I wonder if the information given to Kevin Marti was entered into the Ford computers in a format like this? 

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

gt350hr

Brian ,
      That is an IBM keypunch card. The earliest computers used that type of card for data input ( scanners were yet to be invented LOL) and stored on magnetic tape similar to  a  reel to reel sound recorder or tape player. This is when computer filled an entire room , but now fits in your pocket I have seen those cards taped to a medium or larger cardboard box but never a small one like you are showing. Later '60s , great find! Give it a week and Pookie will have them too. "From the estate of a former plant worker".
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Dizzy

This is the IBM card to produce a vehicle......1967. Looks like a miniature build sheet. I guess it is  ::)
Sorry the picture is not very clear. I am about 5 years behind in technology  ;)

BGlover67

Holy cow!   Thanks for posting.  I'd love to see a bigger pic of the punch card for a complete build. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

429rb

As a senior in high school (1979) I took a computer programming class.  We worked with punch cards like that.

My first decent occupation was as an engineering lab tech for a communications company.  We had a computer (1) that had its own air conditioned room.  And it utilized just about the entire room.  Ah, the good old days...

429rb

NC TRACKRAT

Geez, Brian, you sure know how to make a fella feel old!  When I got out of the Navy in '66, I went to work for the semiconductor division of TI (Texas Instruments) in Dallas.  Being an industrial engineer, one of my jobs was Forms Control Administrator for the whole division.  Each cost center had to submit its load of punch cards by 5 p.m. each day so that print-outs could be produced that night and distributed the next morning.  Our computer room was huge, elevated about a foot off the slab with A/C pumped in to keep the computers and printers cool.  Reams and reams of printer paper were consumed each day.  There was no such thing as on-line, real time reporting.  Archaic, yes.  Oh, yes...There was a secret project going on at the time...Code named "Caltech".  It turned out to be a hand-held calculator so small that it could fit in your shirt pocket! Shazam!  How far we have come in such a short period of time!
5S071, 6S1467

QuickSilverShelby

Here's the IBM punch card for for my 68 GT500 Convertible.  Its part of my Shelby book and a great part of the original documentation that I have.  Front and back sides of the card.  I've blocked out my serial number with the original "Johnny Bolton Ford" dealership emblem.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

QuickSilverShelby

From what I recall Vincent Liska had mine.  I was inquiring about other documents that SAAC had for my car and he told me that they had my IBM punch car.  Vincent asked me if i was interested in acquiring it and I replied with a resounding "HELL YA!".

So ya, that's how I wound up with mine.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

CharlesTurner

Punch cards with car order images usually found their way to the dealers with paperwork that came with each car.  It's not something that would normally be turned over to new car buyers.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Dizzy

I took better pics of this mini build sheet and thought I would post. Look at some of the choices......serial number is optional on engine? I found it interesting

J_Speegle

Quote from: Dizzy on February 03, 2019, 03:27:25 PM
I took better pics of this mini build sheet and thought I would post. Look at some of the choices......serial number is optional on engine? I found it interesting

My understanding is that the printed part of the form is a decoder for the buildsheets while the punches "translates" that info into a language the machines can read. This also may have been used (the punches) to send the codes to the printers on the line and sub assembly sites around the plant once the build process began

Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge