News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Radiator questions

Started by 2112, February 02, 2018, 01:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have a couple of radiator questions;

Are there rubber insulators between the radiator and radiator support?

Is the radiator hung using 4 thru-bolts and nuts or does the radiator support have those body clips that bolts thread thru? Edit; U-nut retainer is what I believe the clips are called.

Anyone have a picture

Thanks

J_Speegle

If I understand the question correctly

Quote from: 2112 on February 02, 2018, 01:38:38 AM
Are there rubber insulators between the radiator and radiator support?

On a GT500 yes

Quote from: 2112 on February 02, 2018, 01:38:38 AMIs the radiator hung using 4 thru-bolts and nuts or does the radiator support have those body clips that bolts thread thru? Edit; U-nut retainer is what I believe the clips are called.

On a GT350 yes there are U or J nuts the mounting bolts insert into. On the 500 the radiator really isn't bolted in its held/cradled between the upper and lower brackets witht he pads mentioned above

Pictures of which or both?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 02, 2018, 04:32:35 AM

Yes, both please. Thank you.

I bought the AMK guide book, but there are no schematics, so if you don't know the part #, it is of little use.

The car has the upper support bracket, but the radiator was bolted to the radiator support panel (GT350 style?)  so it appears I need a lower bracket and rubber insulator.

Anyone have a source for the rubber?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on February 02, 2018, 11:02:58 AM
Quote from: J_Speegle on February 02, 2018, 04:32:35 AM

Yes, both please. Thank you.

I bought the AMK guide book, but there are no schematics, so if you don't know the part #, it is of little use.

The car has the upper support bracket, but the radiator was bolted to the radiator support panel (GT350 style?)  so it appears I need a lower bracket and rubber insulator.

Anyone have a source for the rubber?
I would be concerned that the radiator is the correct style . The correct radiator would not be able to bolt onto the radiator support small block style without modification.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

I think you said it was a later model 428 radiator.

It actually works well. For now I will continue on my quest for correct parts since obviously this radiator is not correct. Still would like to see correct mount tho.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on February 02, 2018, 06:38:43 PM
I think you said it was a later model 428 radiator.

It actually works well. For now I will continue on my quest for correct parts since obviously this radiator is not correct. Still would like to see correct mount tho.
The later 68 -70 style radiator (wider) would not bolt on ether. It most likely is a after market style . The bottom brackets are unique to 67 . 68-70 is another style . The upper style is the same between 67 and 68.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Mansfield Mustang sells both the upper and lower brackets.

J_Speegle

Looks like Bob got to the pictures first this time

The GT350 connects to plates or filler plates that bridge the edge of the radiator to the radiator support

The upper mount for the 67 GT500 radiator came in two versions the first (poor design) was changed in Nov 67 (78 production). On the 67 version the end edges were too sharp and could cause damage to the top tank so they were redsigned/modified to address this issue.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 02, 2018, 07:39:03 PM
The later 68 -70 style radiator (wider) would not bolt on ether. It most likely is a after market style . The bottom brackets are unique to 67 . 68-70 is another style . The upper style is the same between 67 and 68.

Top Tank is stamped FoMoCo, but beyond that? I don't know.

Thank you for the pictures. I have the top bracket but not the bottom.

edit; do the bottom brackets have a rubber insulator too or is it metal on metal?

edit #2 yes, I found the insulators

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on February 02, 2018, 08:38:50 PM

Check the drivers side strap/frame or the top tank for numbers, and or date

Quote from: 2112 on February 02, 2018, 08:38:50 PMThank you for the pictures. I have the top bracket but not the bottom.

At least they make the 67 only bottom brackets so the link Bob posted should help you mark off another part (s) off your list

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on February 02, 2018, 08:38:50 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 02, 2018, 07:39:03 PM

Thank you for the pictures. I have the top bracket but not the bottom.

edit; do the bottom brackets have a rubber insulator too or is it metal on metal?

edit #2 yes, I found the insulators
As I mentioned before the stock Ford BB Mustang radiator could not be bolted to the radiator support regardless of if 67 or 68-70 without modification in some way. It is hard to tell what you have without pictures of how it is mounted. That will determine what you are working with and hopefully if it can be converted back to stock configuration to your satisfaction. Worst case scenario and it can't be reversed or is the wrong year style I have a couple of 67 BB 4 speed transmission radiators that are waiting to find a new home. 

I bought the lower saddles to mount the radiator correctly. I can't make the radiator I have work.

I have looked at aftermarket radiator (Not a concours car) and can't find one that appears to truly be a 428 radiator. Several list as 390 radiators and are 3 core. Not sure those would fit in the saddles tho as they all have the same side straps the one I have now has.

Looking for a decent, well functioning radiator that fits in the factory mounts. Any tips before I take the OEM plunge?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on March 11, 2018, 12:14:18 AM
I bought the lower saddles to mount the radiator correctly. I can't make the radiator I have work.

I have looked at aftermarket radiator (Not a concours car) and can't find one that appears to truly be a 428 radiator. Several list as 390 radiators and are 3 core. Not sure those would fit in the saddles tho as they all have the same side straps the one I have now has.

Looking for a decent, well functioning radiator that fits in the factory mounts. Any tips before I take the OEM plunge?
I am not sure why you are having the problem but FYI the 67 390 Mustang and the 67 GT500 radiators or the same dimensions given the cooling application. I can not and will not speak to any BS explanation that a after market company will say about it however.Maybe after market are made different (big surprise). Ford ones are the same.

My current radiator is from who knows where (it has FoMoCo top/bottom tanks).  It was not mounted using the factory saddles. I am hoping to return to the correct mounting system.

What I have will not do that.