Author Topic: Finally Original dash Trim and working Tilt-A-Way  (Read 2777 times)

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Finally Original dash Trim and working Tilt-A-Way
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »
Well after 3 years of collecting parts I finally have all very nice original dash trim pieces installed in my car and have my Tilt-a-Way steering functional. 

Getting the Tilt-a-Way working was a bit of a challenge because two of the pieces I had purchased were new reproductions and did not work right out of the box.  These were the only two reproduction pieces in the whole assembly and they were the vacuum canister and the door switch.  The canister would not hold a vacuum after the engine was shut off.  I added an inline check valve in case it was that and still would not hold a vacuum.  The switch would remain electrically open regardless of the plunger was depressed or extended.  I ended up finding an absolutely amazing original canister on eBay for $50.  I never dreamed I would find an original that was not all rusted out but I did and it works perfectly.  So now after who knows how many years the Tilt-a-Way system is fully functional.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Finally Original dash Trim and working Tilt-A-Way
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 09:19:06 AM »
Thats great news. I have seen some “reproduction” tilt hoses that have a slightly oversized inside diameter, creating a leak. I know you have it working, but changing the hose positions on the can, often helps as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:26:04 AM by Coralsnake »

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:36:44 AM »
Pete, I have not spent the $60 on the green stripped hose yet.  I was going to wait and see if I could get the system working before spending that extra money.  So the current hose is just a 1/4" vacuum hose from the local auto part store.  It fits pretty tightly to the nipples.  But that is good advice once I do swap it out for the reproduction hosing.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 07:03:52 PM »
Congrats, its great when a plan (even a 3 year plan) comes together
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 09:08:33 PM »
Congrats man !! Ive been too chicken chit to even mess with mine... working upside down standing on my head makes me dizzy :)

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 08:01:59 PM »
Congrats and thanks for the information guys.

Fast Fords

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 05:58:31 AM »
Corey,

Looks great!!

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 07:24:16 AM »
Thanks Fast Fords you provided that needle in a haystack I searched for for 3 years and it was much appreciated!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 08:33:00 AM »
There needs to be a better alternative to the available vacuum can. I went through this twice early on (1972-3) using Ford parts only to have the can fail within 6 months or so. If you dissect the thing, you will find that it is seemingly made by the same people that make the cans for Planters Peanuts. Definitely qualifying for the term "tin" and seemingly having little or no concern for longevity?

Mine has as a result been dysfunctional since about 1975.

Your persistence is motivating me to run through the drill again. I suppose successfully making it work again will be the therapy for the pain? There was more then one reason that these cars only had 12 month warranties on them new. This has got to be one of them?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 08:56:53 AM »
shelbydoug, I was skeptical buying a 50 year old original when a brand new repop did not work but I felt is was worth a try.  The eBay add said "functional" so I figured if it did not work I would return it.  Full disclosure the  check valve in the 50 year old original did not work but I had already purchased an inline check valve when I was trouble shooting my repop so I just used that.  I was pleasantly surprised when it held a vacuum.  Maybe it is the sort of thing that if you get a good one it will last 50 years but most were not good?  But you are right it seems someone could make a good replacement that would work flawlessly for a very long time.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 02:25:38 PM »
shelbydoug, I was skeptical buying a 50 year old original when a brand new repop did not work but I felt is was worth a try.  The eBay add said "functional" so I figured if it did not work I would return it.  Full disclosure the  check valve in the 50 year old original did not work but I had already purchased an inline check valve when I was trouble shooting my repop so I just used that.  I was pleasantly surprised when it held a vacuum.  Maybe it is the sort of thing that if you get a good one it will last 50 years but most were not good?  But you are right it seems someone could make a good replacement that would work flawlessly for a very long time.

In all honesty, until Pete came along, I was all on my own with making this friggin' thing work!. Probably Tim Lea could do it too but the last time I left the car with anyone, when I came back to get it, he was doing burnouts in the parking lot with it. So over the years I have ATTEMPTED to learn to cope on my own.

I must admit that as a result I HAVE learned much. Unfortunately most of it is useless artifact stuff? Owning these cars all of these years has qualified me as definitely a living neanderthalian artifact myself.

I suppose that can gather respect but more likely the crowd is just afraid of me and keeps their distance. Like one would do at the zoo. Stay back away from the lions. You know? This guy is worse. More like a tyrannosaurus? They stay back, just in case?

As Pete has said, on it's best day, the thing can be temperamental as all heck. Now you guys have embarrassed me into making mine work too? After about 35 years. Common. No excuses now?

I don't know how long it will take. I'm gonna take out the driver's seat and redo the foam, so I won't get that kink in my back from hanging upside down in there. I have to do the directional signal too, so I just said, "what the hey?" dumb bas tard that I am. I'm sure I'll be sorry and at some point attempt to convince myself this was ALL  a good idea?  8)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:41:26 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
You can do it

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member