News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Seat Upholstery

Started by cascade-classics, January 23, 2019, 11:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: 2112 on January 23, 2019, 10:45:30 PM
Keith, is your material from TMI?

Did you do your own unpholstery too?
Yes, I did everything but the replating of the Ford dash pieces. 
                                                                                -Keith

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on January 23, 2019, 11:32:22 PM
Quote from: 2112 on January 23, 2019, 10:45:30 PM
Keith, is your material from TMI?

Did you do your own unpholstery too?
Yes, I did everything but the replating of the Ford dash pieces. 
                                                                                -Keith

Nice work !

1967 eight barrel

Thank you. I did all my work except for machine work and paint.

-Keith

stangman39

I'm having a 67 GT FB built with red deluxe interior.  I thought about adding comfortweave but then found out that wasn't offered from the factory.
I did get a sample from SMS and it seems to be woven and not the pressed repro stuff TMI uses. 
It isn't cheap but like others said you have to have someone custom make the covers OR buy the TMI ones or standard ones and have the correct (or closest to correct) CW installed.
I have a bunch of blue original CW I'll never use if someone wants to buy it.

I know it was mentioned on forum 1.0 but does anyone have have the contact information for SMS?

How much material should one get for an entire car? Do you just ask for black comfortweave?

stangman39

Quote from: 2112 on January 24, 2019, 09:46:05 AM
I know it was mentioned on forum 1.0 but does anyone have have the contact information for SMS?
How much material should one get for an entire car? Do you just ask for black comfortweave?

https://smsautofabrics.com/

They will send you a sample if you'd like for free.  Just drop them an email.
For the red they wanted $175/yard.  If I recall you need about 4-6 yards to do front and back seats.
Black I'd think should be cheaper than red but that is just a guess.

Quote from: stangman39 on January 24, 2019, 09:58:58 AM

For the red they wanted $175/yard.  If I recall you need about 4-6 yards to do front and back seats.

Thank you. Sounds like 6 yards to be safe

tonys_shelby

Jeff,  did you have a problem with keeping the color consistent after stretching it in place?

Fast Fords

I bought some NOS parchment comfortweave from a place in Michigan about 10-12 years ago. They told me that I would need 3 yards to do my '67. I sent the material to TMI and had them sew it into the seats instead of the repop stuff. I even had material left over.
I believe they had a lot of the NOS parchment headliner material in stock at the time.

JWH

Tony - apologies for the slow reply. My DYI method for dying the headliner was to take thumb tacks and thumb tack each corner of the headliner to the wall in my garage, stretching the headliner out completely. Prep the head liner well with the SEM Prep and then spray with the dye. Here is a picture of the headliner installed by the upholstery shop.
Jeff

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on January 24, 2019, 10:15:38 AM
Quote from: stangman39 on January 24, 2019, 09:58:58 AM

Thank you. Sounds like 6 yards to be safe
I have always found 4 yards to work.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby