Author Topic: Easiest way to remove a/c clutch, to install new bearing 70 351w  (Read 1871 times)

PR

• View Profile
I am replacing all idlers and need to install new clutch bearing, system is charged and working r12, so I want to remove a/c clutch on car, I have everything apart and center bolt is out and have tried a puller kit but it didn't have the correct lug and center bolt to remove, I have not done this before and can use some advice on the correct way without damaging it, I believe it's a Pitts unit, thanks in advance,Pete

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
Re: Easiest way to remove a/c clutch, to install new bearing 70 351w
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »
It is pressed on with a Nut to help secure it.  Swing by a Pep Boys or Auto Zone if you have them there, they have Tools that you barrow.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »
If it is the standard type clutch, it should have 5/8-11 threads in the center where the clutch bolt goes in.  Screw in the 5/8 bolt into the clutch and it will push against the shaft on the compressor to free the clutch.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 10:09:19 AM »
Once removed from the compressor, there should be two snap rings holding the bearing.

PR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 02:34:39 PM »
Thanks Guys, I did get a kit from auto zone, but did not have the correct parts, I have the bolt to press off and I believe I need a 3 prong spaner wrench to hold center while tightening the bolt,I just didn't want to damage the unit

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
You can usually hold it with the belt and give it a quick blast with an impact gun if necessary.

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 03:38:40 PM »
You can usually hold it with the belt and give it a quick blast with an impact gun if necessary.
+1