Author Topic: 1965 SHELBY REGISTRY – 2019 EDITION  (Read 19851 times)

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1965 SHELBY REGISTRY – 2019 EDITION
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
I've received my '65 Registry and it's been a great read, however, I couldn't find a particular piece of info. Does this new book state anywhere how many GT350s were completed at the Carter Rd, Venice, location? I see on Pg 14 where it discusses the first 110 Mustangs which were delivered from SJ to the Venice location, but nothing about SFM serial numbers completed before the May? move to LAX.

Thanks!

In the old registry or maybe the new one too, it's noted that up to car 5S069 was the last number finished at Venice, but the actual count was about 45 cars with completed dates before/on March 8, 1965 (not counting 001/002/003), which is the same day 5S069 was completed.

I'm not sure I have seen an actual date that production shifted to LAX.  There was a 1 week break in 'cars finished' between Tuesday 3/9/65 and Tuesday 3/16/65 with 5S060 being the only car 'finished' that day.  The next day, 12 cars were finished on 3/17/65.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
Wisconsin just arrived fyi-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2019, 05:13:40 PM »
I've received my '65 Registry and it's been a great read, however, I couldn't find a particular piece of info. Does this new book state anywhere how many GT350s were completed at the Carter Rd, Venice, location? I see on Pg 14 where it discusses the first 110 Mustangs which were delivered from SJ to the Venice location, but nothing about SFM serial numbers completed before the May? move to LAX.

Thanks!

In the old registry or maybe the new one too, it's noted that up to car 5S069 was the last number finished at Venice, but the actual count was about 45 cars with completed dates before/on March 8, 1965 (not counting 001/002/003), which is the same day 5S069 was completed.

I'm not sure I have seen an actual date that production shifted to LAX.  There was a 1 week break in 'cars finished' between Tuesday 3/9/65 and Tuesday 3/16/65 with 5S060 being the only car 'finished' that day.  The next day, 12 cars were finished on 3/17/65.

Thanks for this! You're right, I re-read page 12 of the new '65 Registry and it states that end of March is when GT350 production picked up in the new (LAX) location with the new facility's grand opening being end of May.

So I'm guessing since the first batch of 110 SJ Mustangs were completely delivered to SA-Venice by Jan 4th, '65, that before production began in March at LAX, they had transported/driven the remaining unfinished knocked-down Mustangs to the LAX site?
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2019, 11:15:47 PM »
Thanks for this! You're right, I re-read page 12 of the new '65 Registry and it states that end of March is when GT350 production picked up in the new (LAX) location with the new facility's grand opening being end of May.

So I'm guessing since the first batch of 110 SJ Mustangs were completely delivered to SA-Venice by Jan 4th, '65, that before production began in March at LAX, they had transported/driven the remaining unfinished knocked-down Mustangs to the LAX site?

Might be better to split off into another topic...

Of the 110 cars received by Jan 4 (I think 5019 arriving by itself on that day could be an accounting error), all of them had work started except 5S109/110/111/112/113, which those appear to be the first ones started at LAX on 3/29.  Hard to say what the condition of unfinished cars were and if they were trailered or driven to LAX.  It took until 4/26 to finish the 45 or so street cars and some of the R models that were originally received at Venice.  I guess the balance of the 110 cars were R models started/not-started.

What's interesting is that of the 2nd batch starting to be received on 3/19, the first one wasn't completed until 4/23 (5S163).  Starting on 4/26, the completion of cars really started to take off.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2019, 07:59:03 AM »
Ordered mine on January 29, but still haven't got it.
Texas Swede

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2019, 12:09:24 AM »

Might be better to split off into another topic...

Of the 110 cars received by Jan 4 (I think 5019 arriving by itself on that day could be an accounting error), all of them had work started except 5S109/110/111/112/113, which those appear to be the first ones started at LAX on 3/29.  Hard to say what the condition of unfinished cars were and if they were trailered or driven to LAX.  It took until 4/26 to finish the 45 or so street cars and some of the R models that were originally received at Venice.  I guess the balance of the 110 cars were R models started/not-started.

What's interesting is that of the 2nd batch starting to be received on 3/19, the first one wasn't completed until 4/23 (5S163).  Starting on 4/26, the completion of cars really started to take off.

Definitely interesting! Thanks for elaborating.
-Brent

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2019, 11:57:49 AM »
Why is there no list of owners, and previous owners, like in the last '65 thru '67 registry. That was very nice to have when looking up who owned each car over the last 50 years. Maybe it can be included in the future ones. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
Why is there no list of owners, and previous owners, like in the last '65 thru '67 registry. That was very nice to have when looking up who owned each car over the last 50 years. Maybe it can be included in the future ones. Ron

In the new Registry, literally the entire last half of the book is exactly what you’re asking about; each car’s detailed history with previous owners listed. Obviously some cars don’t have complete info listed if the Registrars never received updates but most cars have some details.
-Brent

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »

In the new Registry, literally the entire last half of the book is exactly what you’re asking about; each car’s detailed history with previous owners listed. Obviously some cars don’t have complete info listed if the Registrars never received updates but most cars have some details.

Rocket is talking about an index of owners with corresponding VIN numbers after all of the registry entry's. You can look up by owner's last name and then see which car/cars are tied to their name, then you can flip to the entry and read the details.    The latest 1968-1970 book didn't have it either.  I imagine it is a much larger task to undertake.  Most likely very time consuming.  I think the previous book spoiled us with that part....  ;D  No complaints here, the book is an awesome reference source that not a lot of other car marque's have in our hobby.

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »

Rocket is talking about an index of owners with corresponding VIN numbers after all of the registry entry's. You can look up by owner's last name and then see which car/cars are tied to their name, then you can flip to the entry and read the details.    The latest 1968-1970 book didn't have it either.  I imagine it is a much larger task to undertake.  Most likely very time consuming.  I think the previous book spoiled us with that part....  ;D  No complaints here, the book is an awesome reference source that not a lot of other car marque's have in our hobby.

Thanks for clarifying, Brian!
-Brent

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »

I'm disappointed to hear the "Shelby Owners Index" has gone away.
 :'(

I can't tell you how many times I've used the list of owners to help identify a car written in a story online, in a magazine, or at auction.
You can then follow up by reading the footnotes for more info on that car.

It's such a beneficial resource that will be greatly missed!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »

I'm disappointed to hear the "Shelby Owners Index" has gone away.
 :'(

I can't tell you how many times I've used the list of owners to help identify a car written in a story online, in a magazine, or at auction.
You can then follow up by reading the footnotes for more info on that car.

It's such a beneficial resource that will be greatly missed!

+1.  I find the owner index very helpful.  Maybe the registrars can include in the subsequent registries, i.e. 1966+.

Cory

wcampbell

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »
Am I the only guy still waiting to receive mine? Seems like it's taking an awful long time to show up...

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »
The owner's index would be great. Probably a click on the computer would do the trick. I don't know how many times I've met an old owner who doesn't remember his serial number, but with his name, it's really easy to look it up. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2019, 04:05:59 PM »
Still haven't got my registry ordered on January 29th.
Anybody else in the same situation? I am starting to worry
it has disappeared in the mail.
Texas Swede