Author Topic: NorCal SAAC event, 5R098 the #98 ESSEX Wire Car  (Read 7764 times)

Cobrask8

• View Profile
Re: NorCal SAAC event, 5R098 the #98 ESSEX Wire Car
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 03:32:35 PM »
I got quite a ride in that car at Lime Rock for SAAC 25. Rick showed me the sideways line around the track!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »
I got quite a ride in that car at Lime Rock for SAAC 25. Rick showed me the sideways line around the track!

Is there another way?  :)

I probably shouldn't say this in front of witnesses but I was walking through the pits and he saw me and said, what are you doing? Want to take it for a couple of laps and tossed me the keys. I said I can't, I don't have a helmet.

I know. Now everyone is convinced that I am nuts instead of just suspecting it? That's why I said, "probably shouldn't say this".  ;)

Might have been the day Shelby took it for a couple? Sure. They'd lend him a helmet? Hey? ???
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:46:19 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 04:35:10 PM »
The Chain on the Hood Hinge is an interesting way to keep the Hood up.

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
WAY back in the day Rick, Howard and other R model model owners allowed me to measure wheel openings, lift-a-dot's (for the window lift straps), among other things, and the Murray Bro's as well out in Boulder, Jim Cowles in Green Bay, Tony Conover, Paradise is CA., Scotty and Curt in Connecticut. I am deeply obliged to all as while some have criticized my effort, I have been all over the R Model since I was knee high, and would never put a number to it. Great shots. You all inspired me to get it done. I did it for me, not for profit. I'll never get out of it what I have in it.

This is the best group of gear heads around. And meeting almost all of these people has been a large piece of my life. One of the biggest pleasures was the sight of one of my fuel tanks in another tribute staring at me.

Drive 'em like you stole 'em.
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 05:03:20 PM »
While on another site I came across a photo of 5R098 during part of its's life in the province of Quebec, Canada. this led me to

search some more, and I found a couple more images on a blog from Quebec on Mustangs when the car was raced by Bill Pothitos.

he was a big man 6ft. 6, you can see he's a tight fit !  this jives with the info in my 2011 & 2019 updated registries. I remember

seeing the car at a vintage event at Elkhart when Mr. Kopec had it, with a sticker on the back "Nuke GM" I hope this is of interest.

Mike

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »
couple of more, one I'd call Ford vs Ferrari  ;)

Mike