News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

5S089 for sale details... I don't get it

Started by SFM5S000, January 29, 2019, 08:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM5S000

This one annoys me. 5S089 is listed for sale. It states that it was restored by Tony C. It also shows the stock dash with 29283k miles on it and also states it has original "Black License Plates". Original un-modified car.

First off this was Rod Creiger's car. (long time NorCal Member / supporter) who passed away (RIP). Rod had built it up into R Model configuration and open tracked it with NorCal. It was in an R Model configuration for almost 2 decades if not more, with an R Model dash. It also wore personalized California white plates "5S089" for such a long time. This was also a highly modified car when Rod bought it. It once upon a time had a straight front axel and set up for a big block.

So Really???

~Earl J

TA22 (Gary Goeringer)

I thought this car was recently purchased...........

Bigfoot

Wrong radiator but no big deal.
Seems like many 65's have had a great deal
Of work done to them.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

camp upshur

Wow, strait axle? FE means no shock towers, I guess then a different front clip?
It appears this car has had a masterful structural restoration?? Seriously. If that's the case>> I'm impressed.

usually those rims were the first thing ditched back in the day

tesgt350

Quote from: SFM5S000 on January 29, 2019, 08:56:36 PM
This one annoys me. 5S089 is listed for sale. It states that it was restored by Tony C. It also shows the stock dash with 29283k miles on it and also states it has original "Black License Plates". Original un-modified car.

~Earl J

I will play Devils Advocate:  The Car was Restored.  The new Owner may have gotten the original Dash Cluster when he purchased the Car which would be why the low miles.  The new Owner may have gotten a set of Black Plates when he purchased the Car.  The Car was restored BACK to original and therefore is no longer Modified, it is NOW an Un-Modified Original Car.

shelbydoug

Quote from: tesgt350 on January 30, 2019, 06:57:55 AM
Quote from: SFM5S000 on January 29, 2019, 08:56:36 PM

~Earl J

I will play Devils Advocate:  The Car was Restored.  The new Owner may have gotten the original Dash Cluster when he purchased the Car which would be why the low miles.  The new Owner may have gotten a set of Black Plates when he purchased the Car.  The Car was restored BACK to original and therefore is no longer Modified, it is NOW an Un-Modified Original Car.

We see other cars like this that had been modified and then put back to original. "Original" states it's current condition, not it's history. Should there be other categories such as "Virgin Original" and "Restored to orignal" or maybe "Survivor original"? Just a question, not an argument or attempted defense.

You need to talk to the seller to see how they are representing it's history to determine if it is being misrepresented. I would be surprised if it was being misrepresented.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Chad

66TotalPerf

From Stephen's ad:
"This was always a well-kept, unmodified car, and the owner commissioned Tony Conover to complete a very comprehensive rotisserie and concourse-level restoration in the mid 2000's, returning the car both cosmetically and mechanically to like-new."

This sentence would mislead me to believe that the car spent its life in like-original condition and only required a restoration to bring it up to concours condition.

Brent
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Greg

Does anyone else miss the days when you bought what you liked and no one got hung up on terms.....original, modified, un-restored, restored, numbers matching, born with, virgin original, original paint... etc.....

I know since the value of these cars got into the six figures they are more investments than anything else but man I miss the simple.  It is just a land mine waiting for some poor soul to lose their shirt on a few marketing/sales words. 

This is one of the many reasons a reputable expert should be called in to evaluate the car.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

tesgt350

Quote from: tesgt350 on January 30, 2019, 12:32:31 PM

Here ya go. Click on Pic.

Guess parents never told him to chew with his mouth shut?

deathsled

Caveat emptor (/ˈɛmptɔːr/; from caveat, "may he beware", a subjunctive form of cavēre, "to beware" + ēmptor, "buyer") is Latin for "Let the buyer beware".[1] Generally, caveat emptor is the contract law principle that controls the sale of real property after the date of closing, but may also apply to sales of other goods. The phrase caveat emptor and its use as a disclaimer of warranties arise from the fact that buyers typically have less information about the good or service they are purchasing, while the seller has more information. The quality of this situation is known as 'information asymmetry'. Defects in the good or service may be hidden from the buyer, and only known to the seller.

A common way that information asymmetry between seller and buyer has been addressed is through a legally binding warranty, such as a guarantee of satisfaction. But without such a safeguard in place the ancient rule applies, and the buyer should beware.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"