News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

5S089 for sale details... I don't get it

Started by SFM5S000, January 29, 2019, 08:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesTurner

Thought the registry has the info about modifications?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

I am shocked, a car dealer over representing a car?

I guess I would like to see some "before" shots, before I passed judegement...on the accuracy of the descriptions
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigfoot

Quote from: CharlesTurner on January 30, 2019, 01:38:38 PM
Thought the registry has the info about modifications?

Indeed.
A lot of that info is in 2011 Registry .
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Coralsnake

Im not sure I have a copy handy, can someone post the info about body mods?

TJinSA

Some would say "concours restoration" does not imply a lack of history of anger management therapy use/abuse.  The removal and/or replacement and refurbishment to a standard resets the clock in many ways, especially when expense is not spared.  Last I knew a Conover restoration was widely regarded, but ANY restoration is only as good as the next expert judgement/assessment, and every judging should ideally ignore prior inspections.

Caveat emptor, and let's see what future judging holds.
Tom Kubler
6S296

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Coralsnake

Shock towers removed is in direct contrast to the claims made by the seller. Thats not my opinion, that is a fact

Coralsnake

From the dealer

QuoteAlso of great importance is the rust- and damage-free original body shell that displays all of the Shelby American modifications performed in just the one year of 1965.

QuoteThis was always a well-kept, unmodified car,

I am not up to speed on 65s, but would not the numbers have been changed if the shock towers were out?

camp upshur

I must admit that it never dawned on me that that the original shock towers could have been removed, thence, the original shock towers could have been reinstalled. In which case one of those overwrought 'original sheet metal' claims could be made!
In practice though shock tower, or front clip, removal and reinstall can be a messy, difficult and time consuming affair for even a superb metalsmith. Drilling individual numerous spot welds, dressing the sheet metal, soundly fastening, and then attempting to recreate the appearance off an unmolested spot weld dimple (which had previously been drilled and worked) is almost theoretical.
I have seen a heavily raced 1965 GT-350 which had developed strain and spider-web fatigue cracking in the shock towers at the attachment points of the upper control arms. Those replacements, while sound, were anything but 'concours' in appearance.
Would love to see this car in person. Photos present well.

Bigfoot

No reason to assume Ford hidden VINs on aprons would be compromised with shock tower removal on a 65,...but if done messy the Shelby SFM "stamp" on passenger side could be impacted.
Repeat "could"
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

stephen_becker

Owner not aware of (possible) shock-towers removal until last week with Howard Pardee conversation - Have seen no pictures of any evidence of them actually being done - Howard said it was a planned removal and install of a 427 motor but IT NEVER HAPPENED. Once Howard gets back from WI he will scan and e-mail all paperwork and docs on car so that I can then post for all to see and owner will be (carefully) removing both fenders to clearly show the FORD VIN #'s.

Stephen Becker

stephen_becker

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 30, 2019, 03:09:31 PM
Shock towers removed is in direct contrast to the claims made by the seller. Thats not my opinion, that is a fact

No, it is not a fact at all. Hearsay gets a lot of people in allot of trouble...........

Stephen Becker