News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Movie, Ford vs Ferrari a.k.a. The Ken Miles Story

Started by ButchJ, January 31, 2019, 04:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Take for what it will be entertainment,  buy a soda and some popcorn
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Duncan66

Crew cut...for sure....he needs a beak....Miles had the beak that's for sure...

shelbydoug

Quote from: Duncan66 on May 25, 2019, 10:38:03 AM

They didn't call him "The Hawk" for nothing?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

+ 1

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 25, 2019, 12:44:41 PM

They didn't call him "The Hawk" for nothing?  ;)

+ 1

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Superformance Camera Cars used for filming

RCR built the factory prototype replica cars (gt40, ferrari, etc.) for the movie. SPF provided turn key Cobras.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

yall ready for this...coming to a theater near you

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

Cool poster, but someone should've photoshopped out what looks like a black electric fan on the radiator. 

I realize...these are Superformance cars. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

68countrysedan

My hopes for this film are totally corroded.

Start with the images of the replicas in reply #66. The real cars didn't have mirrors and that would be a simple thing to correct if they had researched original photos. Then there's car number 98. Who drove that?

Did anyone see the interview of Matt Damon and Christian Bale up in the flag station just prior to the Indy 500? The interviewer asked what was one thing they took away from doing the film. Damon answered, paraphrasing, ". . .that driving 230 mph, they didn't know whether or not they could slow down. . .".  Really? I think adequate braking capacity would be a key design feature of car entered in a 24 hour race.

Check out the iMDb listing for the film https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1950186/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1 where they included a picture of a 1966 Ford. Also check out the technical advisor in the cast and crew list.

As a final annoyance, even the media coverage sucks. In the Entertainment Exclusive https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/24/ford-ferrari-first-look-matt-damon-christian-bale/?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=like2buy&utm_term=curalate_like2buy&fbclid=IwAR3XypZzJ4fNWXgLmYQRIIONoB6BQm4RyjNzHT_2YxnQdh9FGYd8Nz_lszg write up, the writer describes the film as
Quote. . ."this true story of the triumph of the misfits."
Misfits? They were a talented group of racers and fabricators that were at the top of their racing game.

For me, it'll be the little visual things that would be so simple to make accurate that'll be most annoying because people making the film didn't really care. It's Hollywood, but ultimately, maybe I'm too close to the subject.

shelbydoug

"misfits"? It depends on the synonym you choose to select?

This is really a story of how David slayed Goliath. That being Shelby (the chicken farmer) vs Ferarri (the Commadere). Of course the wild card here is Ford's personal money and aid to bankroll Shelby with anything he needed. Ford could hardly be called anything but an elite. In this case. Probably the puppet master?

On the surface it plays as class struggle. A team on the balls of their ass slays the European elite. "Beaten by an irrigation engine" is what Ferarri said in reference to the 427.

The reality was that there were two things going on with Ford, he hated Ferarri and he wanted a larger share of new car sales in the US. Now that part is really secondary but in 1970 when after the internal meeting with Ford showed that nothing had changed percentage wise after all of this money was spent by Ford, they just pulled out their money from racing not even overnight, instantaneously.

Ford had hired a "gunslinger" in Shelby to do the dirty work. Being in the right place at the right time helped alot. If nothing else Shelby was a clairvoyant that saw far beyond reading tea leaves.
He clearly saw a lot of raw talent just hanging around the bars and topless clubs of LA and offered them an opportunity to join a team to go big time and beat the elites.

If you think about it, how many of Shelby's team got hired by Ford and brought back to Detroit? It was the opposite. Ford sent "monitors" out to LA to manage a rag tag team. When the "project" was done, they all went back home to "Detroit".

This is all a little like the military. It's kind of like the "Joint Chiefs" find qualified expendables to go on a one way mission. One where they hope for dead heros and not surviving ones that will rise to power and challenge their power in the future.

So really when it comes down to it, the disappointments here are not by misrepresentations, they are by what synonyms are selected or maybe the wrong inflections of a characters voice in issuing an order.

See the film and enjoy it for what it's worth. Maybe it will even turn out to be an enjoyable interpretation of a successful human event?

That's what I plan to do.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

honker

Sounds like it's worth seeing.  don't know where I read this quote ? but always liked it "A bunch of hot rodders from California kicked Ferrari's ass"   ;)

Mike

KerryBWhite

Quote from: honker on June 02, 2019, 10:01:26 AM
"A bunch of hot rodders from California kicked Ferrari's ass"   ;)
Mike

That would make a great Shelby American tee shirt with Vintage 65-70 Shelby American logo

shelbydoug

Quote from: KerryBWhite on June 02, 2019, 10:10:58 AM
Quote from: honker on June 02, 2019, 10:01:26 AM
"A bunch of hot rodders from California kicked Ferrari's ass"   ;)
Mike

That would make a great Shelby American tee shirt with Vintage 65-70 Shelby American logo

Basically, that's it.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Quote from: 68countrysedan on June 02, 2019, 01:53:47 AM
My hopes for this film are totally corroded.

Start with the images of the replicas in reply #66. The real cars didn't have mirrors and that would be a simple thing to correct if they had researched original photos. Then there's car number 98. Who drove that?

Did anyone see the interview of Matt Damon and Christian Bale up in the flag station just prior to the Indy 500? The interviewer asked what was one thing they took away from doing the film. Damon answered, paraphrasing, ". . .that driving 230 mph, they didn't know whether or not they could slow down. . .".  Really? I think adequate braking capacity would be a key design feature of car entered in a 24 hour race.

Check out the iMDb listing for the film https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1950186/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1 where they included a picture of a 1966 Ford. Also check out the technical advisor in the cast and crew list.

As a final annoyance, even the media coverage sucks. In the Entertainment Exclusive https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/24/ford-ferrari-first-look-matt-damon-christian-bale/?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=like2buy&utm_term=curalate_like2buy&fbclid=IwAR3XypZzJ4fNWXgLmYQRIIONoB6BQm4RyjNzHT_2YxnQdh9FGYd8Nz_lszg write up, the writer describes the film as
Quote. . ."this true story of the triumph of the misfits."
Misfits? They were a talented group of racers and fabricators that were at the top of their racing game.

For me, it'll be the little visual things that would be so simple to make accurate that'll be most annoying because people making the film didn't really care. It's Hollywood, but ultimately, maybe I'm too close to the subject.

Take it for what it is, entertainment not a documentary.

The guy who said he went 230 mph, that was in his dreams.

The media, well they most of the media dont know what a Shelby, Carroll Shelby, Lemans or a Ford GT is.

Again buy a large soda and popcorn and laugh and enjoy the flick.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 02, 2019, 07:58:43 AM
"misfits"? It depends on the synonym you choose to select?

This is really a story of how David slayed Goliath. That being Shelby (the chicken farmer) vs Ferarri (the Commadere). Of course the wild card here is Ford's personal money and aid to bankroll Shelby with anything he needed. Ford could hardly be called anything but an elite. In this case. Probably the puppet master?

On the surface it plays as class struggle. A team on the balls of their ass slays the European elite. "Beaten by an irrigation engine" is what Ferarri said in reference to the 427.

The reality was that there were two things going on with Ford, he hated Ferarri and he wanted a larger share of new car sales in the US. Now that part is really secondary but in 1970 when after the internal meeting with Ford showed that nothing had changed percentage wise after all of this money was spent by Ford, they just pulled out their money from racing not even overnight, instantaneously.

Ford had hired a "gunslinger" in Shelby to do the dirty work. Being in the right place at the right time helped alot. If nothing else Shelby was a clairvoyant that saw far beyond reading tea leaves.
He clearly saw a lot of raw talent just hanging around the bars and topless clubs of LA and offered them an opportunity to join a team to go big time and beat the elites.

If you think about it, how many of Shelby's team got hired by Ford and brought back to Detroit? It was the opposite. Ford sent "monitors" out to LA to manage a rag tag team. When the "project" was done, they all went back home to "Detroit".

This is all a little like the military. It's kind of like the "Joint Chiefs" find qualified expendables to go on a one way mission. One where they hope for dead heros and not surviving ones that will rise to power and challenge their power in the future.

So really when it comes down to it, the disappointments here are not by misrepresentations, they are by what synonyms are selected or maybe the wrong inflections of a characters voice in issuing an order.

See the film and enjoy it for what it's worth. Maybe it will even turn out to be an enjoyable interpretation of a successful human event?

That's what I plan to do.

And what did you expect from the media, these great Americans took down the crown prince of racing and their establishment's.

Always remember we have no kings, queens,  dukes, duchess or any royalty in the great USA!

We only have people who can do and did !

I have all UNGOLD cars