Author Topic: Movie, Ford vs Ferrari a.k.a. The Ken Miles Story  (Read 67159 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Movie, Ford vs Ferrari
« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2019, 10:16:24 AM »
Great review! I would see the movie regardless of what the critics say. The fact it gets praise is the proverbial icing on the cake.

may not be 100% authentici ( if it would it would probably be a boring documentary) but it will be funny, action packed, touching and thrilling
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »
Just got into a heated argument with my dad (he loves to spar in the worst way) about going to see the preview on Septemeber 14th. He says it's too far downtown yet he plans to drive 90 miles back to Toronto in his minivan. He wanted to know the ticket price and I should not have told him it's $85. He said forget it despite my buying. He grew up in the depression. He has way better money sense than me. Mine is a time thing because we never know how long we have above ground. It is all about balancing finances versus life experiences.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:56:13 AM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2019, 06:38:51 PM »
You know I agree and respect your fathers and your views

But having said that, my father was also the same as yours.

Got to the point he did not want to leave the house or spend money on unnecessary items.

Once I saw this pattern I took a very different approach with him.

If we had to go somewhere I would not tell him how far, I would mention "just a few minutes way". Once in the car we would talk all the way to our destination.  The travel time would be a non issue  and before he knew it we had arrived at our destination.

As far as price at a restaurant, vacation or an event, I am ashamed to say I would flat out lie to him. He would ask how much for a football game?  I would relate the price to when he was much younger and reply eight dollars for entry. In reality it was over ten times the amount. Then and only then he would enjoy outings, food, vacations and yes even the two dollar movies that I would take him to see...

Just got into a heated argument with my dad (he loves to spar in the worst way) about going to see the preview on Septemeber 14th. He says it's too far downtown yet he plans to drive 90 miles back to Toronto in his minivan. He wanted to know the ticket price and I should not have told him it's $85. He said forget it despite my buying. He grew up in the depression. He has way better money sense than me. Mine is a time thing because we never know how long we have above ground. It is all about balancing finances versus life experiences.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2019, 07:33:24 PM »
Thank you for sharing, Tony. You have much wisdom in your approach to life.  Sometimes tomorrow means never but in this case he simply doesn't want to go. He wants to hold out to November. So be it.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2019, 02:43:47 AM »
Maybe you should get him a subscription to Netflix for his birthday or Christmas.   Tons of TV and movies, and "Hey Dad, it's all free. They had a special on the internet."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 02:45:23 AM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2019, 08:33:57 AM »
Good morning,  one of my favourite movies is Ferris Bhueller Day Off. In that movie he qoutes " Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "

That is the issue with us humans, "we" think "we" have time ... see the movie. Enjoy it for what is...entertainment

Thank you for sharing, Tony. You have much wisdom in your approach to life.  Sometimes tomorrow means never but in this case he simply doesn't want to go. He wants to hold out to November. So be it.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »
I just saw the trailer last night... the movie should be fun. Definitely looking forward to it.
I thought that the quote from Henry "the Deuce" saying it's not the first time that Ford has been to war could have been the basis for the name of the documentary movie "the 24 Hour War"?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2019, 11:45:54 AM »
Maybe you should get him a subscription to Netflix for his birthday or Christmas.   Tons of TV and movies, and "Hey Dad, it's all free. They had a special on the internet."

The key here is communicating "complimentary or free"

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2019, 12:09:41 PM »
Another positive review by the L.A. Times

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-09-01/james-mangold-ford-v-ferrari-telluride

Here is the trailer if you have not seen it

Watch "FORD v FERRARI | Official Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/zyYgDtY2AMY

I just saw the trailer last night... the movie should be fun. Definitely looking forward to it.
I thought that the quote from Henry "the Deuce" saying it's not the first time that Ford has been to war could have been the basis for the name of the documentary movie "the 24 Hour War"?

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »
looks like them fellers at variety are calling out for an oscar....73 day and counting !

https://variety.com/2019/film/in-contention/christian-bale-matt-damon-ford-v-ferrari-1203319208/

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2019, 06:09:13 PM »
Just curious, how far is the Telluride Film Festival from the Shelby American Collection?   8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2019, 07:49:27 AM »
Just curious, how far is the Telluride Film Festival from the Shelby American Collection?   8)

Aloha Don,

Attached are directions to Telluride.  What we find unusual is that  in Colorado it takes over two hours to drive 85 miles.

Let's see how long it takes to drive 80 miles in the great  State of Florida;

How long does it take to go 80 miles if you're going 80mph? The answer is simple.

80 miles is the about half the width of Florida. Florida is where Disney world is.

Disney world is where Mickey Mouse lives. Mickey Mouse is in many movies.

Movies are made in Hollywood, California.

California is where the gold rush happened. Often, gold rushers would find a single gold nugget.

Obviously gold is good because it has a monetary value.

We also know that time is money. How much money is one gold nugget worth?

One hour. And there is your answer.

Something peculiar about Colorado...

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:25:53 PM by FL SAAC TONY »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »
Trust me Florida traffic  can be just as bad as Colorado.   from that area in Colorado to the museum depending on traffic  that figure is on the high side.   The last miles are lots of stop and go lights.  On  Saturday morning  you should be able to do this in less than 2 hrs
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 04, 2019, 02:43:54 PM »
anyone counting that's three

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy