Author Topic: Vintage Shelby Badge  (Read 5154 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Vintage Shelby Badge
« on: February 01, 2019, 05:43:11 AM »
I recently acquired this badge.  Any thoughts on it's age and what it was used for?  It sure seems to look like it's from the '60s, and the seller can only recall that he had it for over 45 years, not where he acquired it from.  I did notice that the font on the back side matches the font used on the 1967 model invitation brochure I have. 

Lastly, JD noticed that the logo is missing the checkered flags.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

honker

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Shelby Badge
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 10:19:29 AM »
Neat piece ! is this what you mean by the checkered flags on the logo ? this is from Le Mans '65.

(photo from my files)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »
yes, that and the line/stripe in the middle of the "CS" that makes the "CS" twin-stripes.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 11:42:10 AM »
Employee badge images. Not sure what's real and what's repo. Just had them in my files as badges for reference, but they have the checkered flag on them as well.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »
The blue reminded me of the color used when Shelby did the Dodge stuff. It was that powder blue color. The only image I had on file was that dealer sign that surfaced awhile back. I pulled it and that to had the checkered flag at the end as well. It also had a more rounded C in the CS. Interesting badge.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 01:47:09 PM »
 The seller also suggested he may have gotten it from the 1967 Detroit auto show.  That one is Pretty hard to swallow in my opinion.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 01:54:59 PM »
Employee badge images. Not sure what's real and what's repo. Just had them in my files as badges for reference, but they have the checkered flag on them as well.

The images posted here are all reproductions which were sold to SAAC members (not sure if by saac necessarily?) in the late 70s or early 80s. They are very close to the original employee ID badges used to get into the factory but not exact. The font on the numbers are different and the real versions usually survive with much clearer and less yellowed plastic than the repops do. Apparently the repops were a lesser quality plastic than the real 60s made ones because the repops always turn a very extremely shade of yellow over time.

Info on Brian's excellent find in my next post...

Kind regards,
Vern

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:05:04 PM by Vernon Estes »
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:59:34 PM »
The blue reminded me of the color used when Shelby did the Dodge stuff. It was that powder blue color. The only image I had on file was that dealer sign that surfaced awhile back. I pulled it and that to had the checkered flag at the end as well. It also had a more rounded C in the CS. Interesting badge.

I remember when that sign came up on eBay!  Man, I REALLY wish I had landed it.

Did you get it?
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »
I recently acquired this badge.  Any thoughts on it's age and what it was used for?  It sure seems to look like it's from the '60s, and the seller can only recall that he had it for over 45 years, not where he acquired it from.  I did notice that the font on the back side matches the font used on the 1967 model invitation brochure I have. 

Lastly, JD noticed that the logo is missing the checkered flags.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Hey, I thought you were look for a G 2 / 3 65 radiator for me?!?! LOL!!

Again, Brian proves he's the King of Craigslist. 

Now, if he can only find that pink stripped unicorn... ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 02:04:37 PM »
In regards to Brian's find...I can tell the following about it.

One of the rarest pieces of Shelby related literature, as many know, is the original 1965 GT350 owners manual. That owners manual is distinct from reproductions in that the front and back covers fold out like a centerfold..none of the repops had that feature.

On the back cover, the "fold out" was perforated and was a Shelby GT Club sign up slip meant to be ripped off, filled out, and sent back to Shelby American after you had bought your 65 for inclusion in this club. The club was supposed to be run by Shelby American but, to my knowledge, the club never actually materialized. Today, when you find an original 65 manual, they more often than not have that back cover ripped off because it was likely sent in to SAI while the front fold out is still there since it was not perforated and not meant to be sent in for anything.

WHile the club never seemed to really function, I have on two occasions managed to buy a "Shelby GT Club" square decal. These were just like the badge that Brian posted but the CS and script was white and the background was dark blue.

What Brian seems to have found is a name badge which was produced for the club which somehow found its way out of the factory. Perhaps some people were actually sent club materials but it didnt function long? I dont know what the story is entirely as its merely a small footnote in the story of Shelby American.

In my 15 years of hounding this stuff, ive never seen or heard of another but perhaps someone else has? Regardless, it is a horrendously rare and certainly an amazing find!

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 02:36:00 PM »
Well done Brian! Cool history lesson Vern-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 10:20:12 PM »
Well done Brian! Cool history lesson Vern-

Dumb luck, I paid $28, at least I didn't get ripped off.   ::)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 11:26:36 PM »
Cool Find and thanks for info Vern
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 11:50:15 PM »
We made up fake employee badges for a COCOA Xmas party one year.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 12:29:06 AM »

The images posted here are all reproductions which were sold to SAAC members (not sure if by saac necessarily?) in the late 70s or early 80s. They are very close to the original employee ID badges used to get into the factory but not exact. The font on the numbers are different and the real versions usually survive with much clearer and less yellowed plastic than the repops do. Apparently the repops were a lesser quality plastic than the real 60s made ones because the repops always turn a very extremely shade of yellow over time.

Info on Brian's excellent find in my next post...

Kind regards,
Vern
I bought one from a former SA employee at SAAC 13 (1992/3 ?) . He had made some up. Later I believe he sold all he made up to Branda.   Branda had enough that he sold them for years until he got down to nothing. I bought a few extras at the end . Through attrition I think I am down to my last one .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby