News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Date codes on sheetmetal

Started by Keith Litteken, February 03, 2018, 04:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Litteken

How do you decode the dates on sheet metal? In particular 1970 Mustang fastback trunk lid.
Thanks,
Keith

Bigfoot

I will give you a few 69 examples.
70 should be the same

2 21 D3
February 21, Then I think shift

3 10 D2
March 10

10 5 D1

October 5 probably of 68 for a 69 vehicle
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

April 25th of 69 or 70 to be interpreted by build date of car.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

J_Speegle

There are a couple of different patterns used in 1970 depending on that the panel is. If you provide an example or picture of what your trying to decode it might help. If the prior posts have already provided enough information - all good. ;)

The the patterns offered by Bigfoot the letter identifies the stamping plant.

Other years have different patterns as well depending on year and what body panel it is
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bigfoot

Sometimes if you look carefully and get lucky above the date codes as shown is the year stamped into the metal. The full year. At least on some 69 Fenders I've seen.
I can try to take a pic this week.
Might look like this

2 21 D3
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Keith Litteken

J_Speegle

Haven't seen 1969 or 1970 in the top line above the date code but another series of numbers a 1 followed by a space then a three digit number like shown in the three examples below. In these examples its 1  936    and 1  956 I believe 

Each from a different assembly plant from 1970 Mustangs

Not all 70 front fenders were stamped with the two line pattern.

I would not expect to see the two line pattern on a 70 Mustang trunk lid like the examples above. At least some (body type possible difference) used a different two line pattern but it did still include one line for the date code

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bigfoot

That's very cool Jeff.
Let me go check my stamping. Maybe it was just a coincidence that the one I saw corresponded to the year or at least appeared to.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bigfoot on February 05, 2018, 11:55:46 AM
Factory fender

Thanks.  So if we follow the pattern the 1969 is not likely the year but another code for something during the periods when they used the two line on the fenders

Bigfoot

You know a lot more about this kind of data than me.
Seems like a hell of a coincidence tho.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI