News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 Quality Ignition Parts

Started by Greg P, February 03, 2019, 05:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg P

Hello all,

I was reading a post in the Dec timeframe regarding '68 spark plug wires; specifically what would be correct, sleeve or no sleeve.  Good info.  I am in the process of rebuilding my J-Code and many of you have provided a lot of good information / help.  Thanks for that.  My question this time is if anyone has recommendations for a good source of good quality, correct, ignition parts.  Specifically spark plug wires but also coil, etc.  I visited Mansfield site but he's pretty specific to the big blocks.  I am wondering if there is a good resource like that for small block.

Thanks again.  Greg P.

Bigfoot

Last yellow top I bought was a Dan Carpenter repro.
But I like the flame thrower by pertronix.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Greg P

Thanks Bigfoot.  It looks like www.mustangsunlimited.com has several of items that they claim are concours correct.  Wires, coil, etc.  Any experience with that vendor?

Coralsnake

I would take all claims as "concours correct" with a grain of salt.

Many of the parts are sourced from the same vendors and marketed by all vendors.

Most of the plug wires come from Kevin Marti/ Marti Auto
The yellow top coils are being sourced off shore from China

Greg P

1967 eight barrel

There was a high rate of failure with the reproduction yellow top coils, but there is another manufacturer without the failures. Are you building  driver, or something that appears correct? Keven Marti makes a good product.
                                                                                                       -Keith

shlby66

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 26, 2019, 02:41:49 AM
but there is another manufacturer without the failures. 
                                                                                                   -Keith

Which one would that be?

Doug

1967 eight barrel

Original 50 old coils fail, and regularly.  I know the first run was problematic. I am getting you the information. If you're going to actually use your vehicle I'd steer away from a 50+ year old coil.

TLea

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 26, 2019, 02:41:49 AM
There was a high rate of failure with the reproduction yellow top coils, but there is another manufacturer without the failures. Are you building  driver, or something that appears correct? Keven Marti makes a good product.
                                                                                                       -Keith
Same manufacturer, they've cleaned up their act a little so less failure. If unseen like points, condenser, rotor use either motorcraft or standard.

shelbydoug

I saw Bob Gaines state that he paints the tops of regular coils yellow. Won't that make the coil overheat?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

No. They are not oil filled anymore.  They are resin filled.

-Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 28, 2019, 07:42:36 PM
I saw Bob Gaines state that he paints the tops of regular coils yellow. Won't that make the coil overheat?
I have never heard of a reason why the paint of the top of the coil would cause the coil to overheat or experienced a problem on street driven or track driven engines . Remember the case is painted black . FYI I would only suggest painting the top of the yellow top coil on one where the original yellow top material is faded . Although you can get paint to come very close in appearance it still does not look as good as the unfaded original material.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg P

I looked at the Marti site but didn't see that they offered coils.  I am probably going with the unit sold on the Cobranda site but Mustangs Unlimited has one as well.  Truthfully it's not a concourse build so I probably shouldn't get too wound up but would like it to be at least in the right direction. :-)  Thanks everyone for the responses.