Author Topic: Help Identifying a Third Member  (Read 3049 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Help Identifying a Third Member
« on: February 03, 2019, 06:20:58 PM »
I've had this third member for a while, but I've not taken the time to identify it specifically, and I could use some help.

As you'll see, there appear to be original markings on the housing (I spend some time today cleaning it up).

Please let me know your thoughts - thanks!  :)
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying a Third Member
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 06:26:05 PM »
More pictures - these show the stamping on the gear.  It looks to have a FoMoCo in the second picture all the way to the left.
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »
Last one...
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:01:56 PM »
Looks like a typical third member case and pinion retainer used on 1966-7 9 inch equipped Fords and Mercurys

As you can see the 3rd member is a March 11th 1966 dated one and the pinion retainer is dated Feb 22 1966

Appears to be equipped with an open (non- traction lock) carrier with 3.00 gears but you may want to count the teeth and do the math to double check. I just used the parts book and number for the ring gear
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 09:51:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 12:12:28 AM »
Thanks a ton, Jeff!  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

Scode67FB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 01:38:55 AM »
That small yoke is what was typically used on trucks and vans. Along with what Jeff said, I'd guess it probably came out of a 66' Econoline.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 09:17:55 AM »
That small yoke is what was typically used on trucks and vans. Along with what Jeff said, I'd guess it probably came out of a 66' Econoline.

Interesting. When I got it, it came off a 1968 Shelby I used to own.
Nothing beats a classic!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »
This is the first C4AW housing that I've seen with single vertical ribs. I thought they were all twin ribs? When I first saw it, I thought it was a C7AW because of that. Those are all single ribs. Not the most desirable for selling as a performance application. Ford's definitely can be strange. Probably there is every combination under the sun made? Never say never with their castings.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 01:05:01 PM »
You will find the same single rib design used on early K codes and Shelby's as well as the pinion retainer as shown in the pictures

From a couple of 66 GT350's

Pinion casting number and machined pads

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 04:59:34 PM »
You will find the same single rib design used on early K codes and Shelby's as well as the pinion retainer as shown in the pictures

From a couple of 66 GT350's

Live and learn. Would there be a way of knowing what Shelby's they would be correct for? Are you saying this rear is correct for all 65 and 66 Shelbys? The '65 I had here was a swap out of a GT350 and was dual ribbed, 28 spline, Detroit locker, 3.89's.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 10:35:47 PM »
No not stating the third member in the first post is from a Shelby the pictures only showed that the single vertical ribbed third member was used in some performance applications

Back to the original subject

We have the casting number for the main case of C4AW-4025-C in reply #2.

Here is an earlier thread - took a while to find it - where the OP posted a very similar question

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=3306.msg29240#msg29240

My understanding it that the C4AW-4025-C could be made/machined for small and large bearings depending on the application.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 07:28:35 AM »
No not stating the third member in the first post is from a Shelby the pictures only showed that the single vertical ribbed third member was used in some performance applications

Back to the original subject

We have the casting number for the main case of C4AW-4025-C in reply #2.

Here is an earlier thread - took a while to find it - where the OP posted a very similar question

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=3306.msg29240#msg29240

My understanding it that the C4AW-4025-C could be made/machined for small and large bearings depending on the application.

Ah, yes! I remember that now. I think it does answer the question. It doesn't answer the question of what to expect on all Shelby's, not to say that was the subject though? For someone like me, that is still somewhat of a mystery. Perhaps another subject for a spread sheet comparison?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 02:13:08 PM »
................ Perhaps another subject for a spread sheet comparison?
Maybe a pictorial guide to cover all the features of a pre 67 Shelby third member

Don't think there is more than one version so we don't need something like we've done where we're looking for a change over point or time period