News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Anything to eat or drink there?

Started by 6S1568, February 05, 2019, 11:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6S1568

We were disappointed while attending SAAC 42 that there were no food or drink vendors at the track complex in Indianapolis. We ended up buying an ice chest and bringing our own drinks with us from day two on. So..............what are the plans for SAAC 44 regarding drinks and lunch? Thanks, Denny   

JD

(there was a food vendor at Indy, the one we ate at was between the concours judging area and the front straight.)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Don Johnston

We ate there on days also that we did not bring food to the track. 8)

6S1568

Well I wish someone at the Registration office knew that, because when we asked they didn't have a clue. I'm happy that you guys found something to eat.

How about SAAC 44 any vendors in our future?

Cobrask8

I would think as much, being the event is a combined effort. Which food vendor and where is usually not posted, but is usually in the center of activity or at a permanent track building.

6S, In the future, I would not ask at registration, rather ask an entrant once in the track. Typically registration does not have that info, but attendees who are already roaming around will know where the food and bathrooms are.

6S1568

OK, thanks for the reply. I'll be a little more assertive at SAAC 44 than I was at SAAC 42. I had to beg for a drink from Jim Cowles, good thing he had a cooler with bottled water. Jim saved several lives that first day.   

Don Johnston

We usually ask the track personnel working inside the track complex and around the garages.  That is how we have found places at most of the conventions. 8)

427heaven

I cant figure out why a venue cant have food, drinks, and bathrooms readily available. I mentioned it at FONTANA and if you couldn't plow thru some greasy green nacho cheese you were going hungry! I understand there are many volunteers at these venues but most didn't know where to park us , where the open track event was, and most anything that was happening that weekend. Hopefully no gravel or muddy parking areas, enjoy!  ;)

acman63

I know from running and organizing  many Northwoods  Region events at Road America that its a huge undertaking to run an event like this .  Volunteers are needed badly and I hope if you plan on attending you might sign up to volunteer in some shape or form.  SAAC  is already paying  for a lot of people in order to run a convention. SAAC bounces around the country  for these events  and relies heavily on volunteers . I know its a struggle to get everyone lined up just for  the Concours as not every one of the judging team can travel to the convention . We need people to volunteer to park the popular vote cars. We need people to help set up the popular vote and to tally the ballots . We need people to direct conventioneers to park in the proper places  with trailers  and those that planning on parts swap. 
  Put your hand up to volunteer  and please follow through! 

Ill broach the subject of food availability to the Convention chairs.  Keep in mind , we usually are at the track  during the week and the food vendors are normally there only at the race events on the weekends . 
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

427heaven

Quote from: acman63 on February 05, 2019, 10:50:32 PM
I know from running and organizing  many Northwoods  Region events at Road America that its a huge undertaking to run an event like this .  Volunteers are needed badly and I hope if you plan on attending you might sign up to volunteer in some shape or form.  SAAC  is already paying  for a lot of people in order to run a convention. SAAC bounces around the country  for these events  and relies heavily on volunteers . I know its a struggle to get everyone lined up just for  the Concours as not every one of the judging team can travel to the convention . We need people to volunteer to park the popular vote cars. We need people to help set up the popular vote and to tally the ballots . We need people to direct conventioneers to park in the proper places  with trailers  and those that planning on parts swap. 
  Put your hand up to volunteer  and please follow through! 

Ill broach the subject of food availability to the Convention chairs.  Keep in mind , we usually are at the track  during the week and the food vendors are normally there only at the race events on the weekends .
Jim..... I guess its just as easy to complain about something, as it is to pat someone on the back for doing a good job. Somewhere along the way we have lost focus on the bare necessities. When people gather they need... Food-Drink-Restrooms-Parking- Lighting- Safe clean staging showing area. The few passionate people cant make up for all the others that plainly don't care if the event goes off cleanly without a hitch or not. To the uninformed don't expect Disneyland conveniences when you get there... You will be disappointed. At Fontana KIWI-BIGGIE and MYSELF tried to scope out a lunch arrangement, Green Nacho sauce was not going to cut it. If you have lower expectations you will not be so frustrated. There is no simple solution for a complicated scenario. If people are trying to make a vacation including this venue they have some expectations, so smoothing out some of the most basic needs would go along way.

Don Johnston

To be fully prepared for each convention, we arrive a couple days early and find the nearest Wal-Mart or similar store to get folding  chairs, a cooler, peper towels and such.  We then fill the cooler with ice, sandwhiches, beverages then night before, usually acquired at the nearby service mart gas station. We always get extra to share with neighbors at the track.  On the last day, wefind someone who made the drive and would like the cooler and chairs and any leftovers as we are not shipping this stuff back across the mainland and the Pacific Ocean home.  When we ship a car, it cannot have any items in it.  This is how we improvise.  But if there is a place to eat on site we will try it or at least check the menu before we decide to refill the cooler the next day. 8)

Cobrask8

I have been convention staff at almost every convention since 1989 (did not go to 43 last year, family). I work Tech, lunch laps, run the popular ballot car show, help with Dinner A/V, and what ever else is needed. We are a small crew of volunteers that work hard so all of you can enjoy and worry about where to eat.

Damn straight we can use volunteers. Registration is a big place to help. Talk to Jay.
Popular Ballot car show - we run it on a skeleton crew. This year, we are doing it with Team Shelby. Help us out, park cars, count votes, etc.

Don't just attend, be a part of the convention.

csheff

All u need is a couple of hours a day or two to help. If your at the track why not.

FL SAAC

so it boils down to being prepared, pack your lunch...
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

68GT350roadracer

I am very thankful for the effort people put into organizing and running the event. I have only been to the last two. Really enjoyed both. Organizers helped me with any questions I had. I do not plan on missing any more events. Missed way too many. I drive in so I bring food and drinks with me. If anyone has the time they may contact a food truck or two. To see if they would be interested in setting up at the event.