Author Topic: Authenticating - Autolite C5AF-10316-A Voltage Regulator  (Read 2855 times)

Silver Bullitt

• View Profile
Authenticating - Autolite C5AF-10316-A Voltage Regulator
« on: February 05, 2019, 01:26:25 PM »
I bought this Autolite voltage regulator and it is out of my experience verifying it is a genuine Autolite NOS Service replacement versus reproduction.

-Black painted lid is metal

-2AD date code has me thrown unless its 1972, would that be correct for the red Autolite box pictured with 1966 date?

Are screws for lid correct for a 65/66/67?

Pictures attached.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Authenticating - Autolite C5AF-10316-A Voltage Regulator
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 02:24:58 PM »
Pics attached of an original
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 05:51:34 PM »
I bought this Autolite voltage regulator and it is out of my experience verifying it is a genuine Autolite NOS Service replacement versus reproduction.

-Black painted lid is metal

-2AD date code has me thrown unless its 1972, would that be correct for the red Autolite box pictured with 1966 date?

Are screws for lid correct for a 65/66/67?

Pictures attached.
I am sorry to read that you bought this off of ebay. It is a repro IMO based on the finish of cover, markings or lack there of on the base ,screws in cover ,and box it came in . The regulators that came in that style of service box first off would be of the heavy duty yellow stamped TF variety and not the AF silver. The box is sealed and you pull a string to unlock the top of the box.   That box would have typically held a blue cover C8TF regulator from my experience and not a C5AF silver stamped version. If you compare the original printing on the cover Charles posted to the one from the ebay auction you can see many differences. Another ebay seller came to mind when I saw that one posted. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:00:21 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »
   +1  The FIRST thing that caught my eye was "Made In USA" which was not used on "original" '60's parts . I hope this didn't come from Pookie, the road cas cars , my sunshine or the blue 302.  "Most" originals also have a grease pencil inspection mark on them.
        Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Silver Bullitt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 07:11:05 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input on this reproduction piece and picture posted of an original for comparison!

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 07:15:20 PM »
If you purchased it through Ebay you should be able to make a claim against the seller and typically settle through Ebay.  Was the sellers name either "theroadcars" or "pookie"?

Silver Bullitt

• View Profile

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »
Thats the big T bird vendor - Im sure he will stand behind it.  one of the biggest problems I see on the internet with buying NOS parts  is what I experienced over the many years that I used to scour the country going through Ford dealership parts bins.  I would grab a box that should have had a NOS parts in it only to find that the new part had been used and the used part had been stuffed back in the box  probably by the mechanic and the parts people just put it back on the shelf .  In this case its definitely a repo part stuffed in an original parts ala Pookster Perhaps Pookie sold it to the guy the first time around (-:
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 12:01:06 PM »
      Jim ,
       This original box used part "problem" is becoming more and more of a problem. "Treasure hunters" find old boxes and not knowing what they are go to the internet to see what they have . The information pops up and occasionally an auction site link . The seller bases his price off of the internet or auction site without any knowledge of the part or it's condition/function ( as I'm sure you are referring to) We had the same situation with EVERY C5AE-E 289 block being sold as a HiPo because "I read in a book" HiPo blocks were that casting #. At least 50% of the Ford/Autolite "boxed" stuff I look at has used parts inside , often not even Ford. I think "some " do it on purpose , "Pookie style". He must have a relative out here.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Silver Bullitt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 01:10:21 PM »
Typical...

Reply by 1955-57 (Feb-11-19 16:36):
Part was NOS original Autolite in the original Autolite box!

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 01:35:48 PM »
Typical...

Reply by 1955-57 (Feb-11-19 16:36):

BS, have never seen a black cover regulator in that style of packaging.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 05:25:45 PM »

I think I would ask them if they can read. The part number on the box and the regulator are two different numbers.   :o

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Silver Bullitt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »
Positive feedback left by seller to MY account after returning the reproduction voltage regulator:

"BEWARE: This individual is dishonest and totally lacking in basic knowledge!!!"   Seller: 1955-57

eBay is removing it as false positive feedback.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:43:10 AM by Silver Bullitt »