News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Slip Yoke Differencies

Started by texas swede, February 05, 2019, 03:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas swede

My friend Roland in Sweden needs your help. He bought a slip yoke from NPD and it doesn't fit like it should.
It should slip easy in and out but he has to force it into the trans. Is there any difference between slip yokes?
Originals and replacements. His car 6S923 is equipped with the original all aluminum T-10 M. Dated Dec 4 1965.
His car has the rubber bushing which I suspect doesn't fit the replacement yoke and blocks the yoke from sliding in.
Any idea how to resolve this. He prefers not to pick the trans apart. Maybe an original yoke would solve the problem,
Anybody has one for sale? His trans works like a charm (new) and has never been apart.
Texas Swede

texas swede

NC TRACKRAT

Perhaps more information would help if he gives the OD of the yoke and a picture of the rear seal currently installed.
5S071, 6S1467

OldGuy

TS, when you say "rubber bushing", what are you referring to? Are you referring to the extended rubber boot on the transmission seal? Does Roland have an existing yoke that he can compare dimensional measurements with (like the outside diameter of the slip yoke)?

By what you are describing, I would suspect that the internal splines of the yoke are binding on the splines on the main shaft. I guess that the outer diameter of the slip yoke could be larger than the inner diameter of the tailshaft housing bushing, but that could be easily determined by a comparison outside diameter measurement with the old yoke (if there is one).

Food for thought.

Frank

shelbydoug

Get a caliper or micrometer. Measure inside diameter of yoke, outside diameter of output shaft. Start counting splines.

Splines might be a little hairy. There should be a LITTLE resistance going on or off. The thing compresses air pushing on.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

28 and 31 spline. One is quite different from the other and definately won't interchage. Perhaps Doug is onto something. Crappy Chinese machine work, rough splines or incomplete machinging.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 12, 2019, 01:52:11 PM
28 and 31 spline. One is quite different from the other and definately won't interchage. Perhaps Doug is onto something. Crappy Chinese machine work, rough splines or incomplete machinging.

There is a transmission shop near me that "blue prints" transmissions. One of the major things that they do on brand new gears is polish them a bit. Takes the "hair" off as they say. I wonder? Is that the "hair of the dog"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

texas swede

Thanks,
The rubber seal is the part to prevent the yoke to bottom in the T-10 transmission.
The U-joints are 1310.
Texas Swede

texas swede

My friend Rusty took a couple of pictures and made a drawing of the original slip yoke.
Hope they help to explain why a repo yoke will not work with the rubber seal still in place.
In order to remove the it the trans must be taken apart so hopefully an original yoke will work
Texas Swede

texas swede

The picture of the rubber seal actually shows two seals but only one is used on each T-10 M trans.
This seal is placed on the output shaft against the speedometer drive gear (metal on T-10).
Texas Swede

kingchief

SFM 6S406

texas swede

Thanks for the picture. Would it be possible to get a couple of pictures from the inside of the yoke.
Texas Swede

kingchief

Hi Bo!

I searched my files and do not have any but have reached out to someone who may have some.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

texas swede