Author Topic: Value Estimate  (Read 3550 times)

RHobbs

• View Profile
Value Estimate
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:53:08 PM »
Hi. I just registered a minute or so ago, my uncle always told me to check with this forum if I needed advice on Shelby's.

Unfortunately my uncle passed & I've been asked to lead the sale of his cars, 1968 (obviously) GT500KR Convertible 4 speed highland green, black & black and a 1968 GT350 convertible with the shelby paxton supercharger 4 speed blue with a white top & black interior.

Both cars were fully restored and placed in storage approximately 10 years ago. Around 5 years ago both were taken out of storage, cranked & my uncle at the time declined a real cash offer of $300k for the cars.

I know pictures are preferred & I'll figure out how to attach a link or something, but honestly they both just look like correctly restored cars. Any ideas on what the value would be on these? I have the Marti reports, is there a preferred appraiser the marketplace values?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Value Estimate
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »
is there a preferred appraiser the marketplace values?

I'd reach out to Bret (capecodemustang.com on this forum) and Bill Collins (bcfords.com) as they know the real world market values.  There are others out there I'm sure, you just need to make certain they have your best interests in mind when dealing with them.

I'll leave it at that.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

RHobbs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:10:05 PM »
Thank you.

If anyone is interested below is a link to a few exterior pics from when they were cranked ~ 5 yrs ago.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1emvgVPMeTJ48cs9SmI4Fz5YoqSEKWjJR

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:31:35 AM »
Sorry to hear about your uncle passing.
Sounds like a good guy since he had 2 nice Shelbys :)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »
I would appreciate an email

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

www.thecoralsnake.com

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 02:39:25 PM »
Thnx for sharing. Nice iron.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »
Wow, I'd be super interested in the Blue 68 GT350 if you decide to part with it.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

stephen_becker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 09:56:25 AM »
 Always paying top dollar for good cars -  Feel free to reach out to me anytime

Stephen G. Becker
stephen@beckerautogroup.com
770.614.3300 office
770.900.5532 mobile

linkedin.com/in/beckerautogroup

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 10:16:00 AM »
First off, I am very sorry for your loss.

I'm not a fan of entering the picture when a death occurs although, as someone who buys and sells the cars, I often am asked to.

If you need help in getting another opinion on value, Id be happy to give you an opinion. The two names that Bill suggested above are also great resources.

I would also suggest getting an idea from some of our forum regulars who are very focused on 68s in particular. TLEA and Coralsnake come to mind.

I will be the first to say that I dont buy and sell that many 68 Shelbys...I know and follow the market probably better than 95% of the guys out there but I also admit that there are guys who are better than I am when it comes to 68s...so I sometimes lean on them myself.

But I think if you got honest estimates from the various names mentioned on this thread..you will then have a good idea of what fair market value is on the two cars you have.  Also it would be helpful to be as detailed as possible with each person who you are asking about the cars themselves...how original they are, the exact factory spec, if they have good original sheetmetal and drivetrains etc etc etc etc etc. You cant give too much detail to someone who is giving you a value estimate like this. For example, you dont mention it (so I assume it doesnt have it), but if the KR is  a factory AC car...then the value is drastically different than if its a DMG 4 speed KR vert with no air. A non air car is obviously still a very desirable and cool car but a factory AC car is much rarer and holds a completely different level of value.

Anyway, happy to help if I can...my email is vestes85"AT"gmail"DOT"com.

Kind regards,
Vern
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:22:39 AM by Vernon Estes »
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »
First off, I am very sorry for your loss.

I'm not a fan of entering the picture when a death occurs although, as someone who buys and sells the cars, I often am asked to.

If you need help in getting another opinion on value, Id be happy to give you an opinion. The two names that Bill suggested above are also great resources.

I would also suggest getting an idea from some of our forum regulars who are very focused on 68s in particular. TLEA and Coralsnake come to mind.

I will be the first to say that I dont buy and sell that many 68 Shelbys...I know and follow the market probably better than 95% of the guys out there but I also admit that there are guys who are better than I am when it comes to 68s...so I sometimes lean on them myself.

But I think if you got honest estimates from the various names mentioned on this thread..you will then have a good idea of what fair market value is on the two cars you have.  Also it would be helpful to be as detailed as possible with each person who you are asking about the cars themselves...how original they are, the exact factory spec, if they have good original sheetmetal and drivetrains etc etc etc etc etc. You cant give too much detail to someone who is giving you a value estimate like this. For example, you dont mention it (so I assume it doesnt have it), but if the KR is  a factory AC car...then the value is drastically different than if its a DMG 4 speed KR vert with no air. A non air car is obviously still a very desirable and cool car but a factory AC car is much rarer and holds a completely different level of value.

Anyway, happy to help if I can...my email is vestes85"AT"gmail"DOT"com.

Kind regards,
Vern

Excellent Vern, I had originally thought to list Tim and Pete as well. Figured you would stay focused on the 65-66’s.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 12:07:04 PM »
I have reached out, if he needs an opinion I will certainly share mine.

RHobbs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 07:38:13 PM »
Thank you to everyone for all of the responses. To be clear both cars are available, I would love to keep the KR but I believe the value will exceed my budget.

I'll have copies of the Marti reports late tomorrow or early Sunday so questions such as ac (doubtful) can get answered. A couple of you asked me to get in touch, as soon as I have the reports I'll give you a ring.

The cars are located in S Fl & are in storage in a private fully equipped shop. I would like to get both running and driving, but unfortunately I'm not a mechanic. I'm in the Atlanta area & my real job is going to keep me from getting to S Fl until March. Thankfully I don't have time constraints or any rush. Apologies if I gave anyone that impression.

Thanks again

RHobbs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 10:55:28 AM »
Per the Marti reports neither car has ac. Colors & other items on the reports match up with the cars. Not sure rhere is anything additional I need to look into on these.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »
I just spoke to Rob on the telephone and we dicussed these two Shelbys. He is up to speed on the importance of history and documentation. He is also going to contact Vinny Liska.

Ron knows how to determine the value, so if you are trying to find a bargain, this may not be the place.

stephen_becker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 03:10:05 PM »
Thank you to everyone for all of the responses. To be clear both cars are available, I would love to keep the KR but I believe the value will exceed my budget.

I'll have copies of the Marti reports late tomorrow or early Sunday so questions such as ac (doubtful) can get answered. A couple of you asked me to get in touch, as soon as I have the reports I'll give you a ring.

The cars are located in S Fl & are in storage in a private fully equipped shop. I would like to get both running and driving, but unfortunately I'm not a mechanic. I'm in the Atlanta area & my real job is going to keep me from getting to S Fl until March. Thankfully I don't have time constraints or any rush. Apologies if I gave anyone that impression.

Thanks again

My licensed dealership and shop are located in the Atlanta area - You should stop by while in town

Stephen G. Becker
stephen@beckerautogroup.com
770.614.3300 office
770.900.5532 mobile

linkedin.com/in/beckerautogroup