Author Topic: Fan restoration 69 GT350  (Read 2860 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
Fan restoration 69 GT350
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:55:05 PM »
My fan is in good shape but the blades appear to have a clear coating that have yellowed in spots. I can use stripper to get it off but what if anything should I put back on the blades? I was planning on tapeing off the blades and bead blasting the rest of the fan and repainting it black. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Fan restoration 69 GT350
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 12:18:24 AM »
My fan is in good shape but the blades appear to have a clear coating that have yellowed in spots. I can use stripper to get it off but what if anything should I put back on the blades? I was planning on tapeing off the blades and bead blasting the rest of the fan and repainting it black. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
I am not aware of a clear coating like you describe on the many I have seen . Could it have possibly been from a previous owner . Semi gloss black with more towards the glossy spectrum is what is expected.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:22:18 PM »
Here’s a picture Bob, it may just be stains after all these years. I tried Lacquer Thinner to get it off but that did nothing. I’ll try some paint remover and see what that does. Any suggestions If that doesn’t work? 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:30:54 AM »
Here’s a picture Bob, it may just be stains after all these years. I tried Lacquer Thinner to get it off but that did nothing. I’ll try some paint remover and see what that does. Any suggestions If that doesn’t work?
You must be under the impression that blades are bare metal. The entire fan blade assembly is painted Semi gloss black including the blades. If I were to guess I would say that a previous owner striped the paint off of the fan blades and put a clear coat over them so that the finish would not oxidize. You can bead blast the assembly before repainting .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »
We should probably check to see if you have the correct blades?

Is it an AC or non AC car?

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »
A/C

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »
The number on the fan says C8SE-B

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 09:42:01 PM »
The number on the fan says C8SE-B

Yep that's the one listed on buildsheets. C8SE-A is shown as non-AC applications that year and model for others viewing or finding this thread in the future.

You can check and compare the date on the fan to your cars build date if your interested in those details
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 12:32:13 AM »
Jeff, are the blades unpainted as on my fan? If they are unpainted, I’m looking for a way to make them look good because they have stains and look bad as of now. Refinishing the black part of the fan is no big deal but do I polish or use steel wool or what with the blades? What are your thoughts?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 01:21:27 AM »
Jeff, are the blades unpainted as on my fan?

The complete fan would have been painted semi-gloss fan so you don't have to worry about stains just anything that would show through the coat of paint (irregularities, stuff on the surface .....)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 01:23:54 AM »
Jeff, are the blades unpainted as on my fan? If they are unpainted, I’m looking for a way to make them look good because they have stains and look bad as of now. Refinishing the black part of the fan is no big deal but do I polish or use steel wool or what with the blades? What are your thoughts?
Strange I thought I answered all that in reply #3 ? I must have been typing in greek  :o

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:48:11 AM »
Maybe this will help?

ο ανεμιστήρας είναι βαμμένος μαύρος

Thats Greek for “the fan is painted black”    ;D

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »
Sorry but the only fan blades I remember seeing painted were thicker steel blades not the thinner flex blade types of fans, I didn’t think the blades would be painted because I can’t find any evidence that they ever were painted. I also thought they were aluminum blades but they are a flex steel blade.
Thank you for the help.