Author Topic: Bille Neal Painting on Blanket  (Read 3121 times)

Bille Neal Painting on Blanket
« on: February 08, 2019, 03:56:09 PM »
Hello to the group.
I'm looking for information on the Carroll Shelby / Bill Neale painting that was printed on a blanket.  I'm trying to attach a picture of it to this topic.
A friend owns it and was looking for any more available info on it including today's value.
Can anyone help me...??
Many thanks.
Dave in Fairmount, IN

SUCCESS...the picture is attached. 

Not a good day evidently.  I can't even spell Bill Neale correctly
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:00:09 PM by The_Mayberry_Garage »

TJinSA

• View Profile
Re: Bille Neal Painting on Blanket
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »
...reported as stolen from Mr. Shelby's Farmer's Branch's office in 1998.  YOU FOUND IT!!!

okay, sorry that's B.S.; but I do remember them on the market, maybe 20 years ago(?)
Tom Kubler
6S296

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 05:25:09 PM »
Thanks for the blood pressure increase...!!  Ha!    Lots of time Goggling has produced nothing in details.
Well, hopefully someone will know.

The owner of the blanket gave me a picture some time back of the 1966 Lemans as the drivers are sprinting to their cars.  It's a 20x26 picture that he purchased in France when he was there on business about 15-20 years ago.  I sure prize it.

Not a Ford guy, but he appreciates my interest in Shelby / Ford cars.

Dave in Fairmount, IN
Hometown of James Dean

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 06:50:53 PM »
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 06:53:53 PM »
Not sure if Branda still sells it.

http://www.cobranda.com/dacowata.html
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:17:09 PM by Chris Thauberger »

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:46:54 PM »
Hi Chris, how are you...??  And the '68...?..is it together yet...??  Hopefully you're faster than I would be.
Why didn't I think of the word tapestry...??  There's 2 big differences, tho...this one here has no way to hang it up, and it's 4'x6'
size.  So, there were different applications.
But...what you found, Chris, is more than I've discovered.
Many thanks.
Let me know of any more discoveries.

BTW - we've been having weather here like your neck of the woods.  COLD
See ya
Dave

I just realized your profile has a red '68 featured-is that yours...?  If it is, I feel embarrassed to have asked you if yours was together.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:52:59 PM by The_Mayberry_Garage »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
Hi Chris, how are you...??  And the '68...?..is it together yet...??  Hopefully you're faster than I would be.
Why didn't I think of the word tapestry...??  There's 2 big differences, tho...this one here has no way to hang it up, and it's 4'x6'
Many thanks.

See ya
Dave
I have that 4X6 size. I bought it new about 15 + years ago out of someones catalog to hang on the wall . I used to small clips to attach to the edge of one end so that I could hang it on the wall. No it probably does not have anymore value (if that) then when I bought it new which in 150.00 range I think. No I don't want to sell it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 08:04:20 PM »
Hey Bob, thanks for input and I'm glad you have one.
If this one here ever comes up for sale, I hope to be 1st in line.
If you ever remember any more details on the vendor, etc., please let me know.
The best to you
Dave

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
Many thanks.

See ya
Dave

I just realized your profile has a red '68 featured-is that yours...?  If it is, I feel embarrassed to have asked you if yours was together.

Yes Dave that’s my car. Many thanks to you for your kind assistance.

Hope you enjoyed the video

Chris

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 06:34:06 AM »
Hi Chris,

Getting those parts to you was a great experience.  In the process, I gained a new friend.
I still want to get you and my cousin together.  He doesn't live too far from you.  I'll work on that.
Send your phone and address to me at dmj.mantor@gmail.com

BTW - Branda still sells the 4'x6' tapestry.  Not as expensive as I thought it might be.

Have a great weekend and God bless.

Dave

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
Just a few additional notes that I found by Goggling the names of Bill Neal and Jacques Grelley which are on the lower right corner of the tapestry:
   Bill Neale was the artist for Shelby.  He did another painting for Shelby that is of a 427 Cobra as well as his interest in the Terlingua racing program...lives in Texas.
   Jacques Grelley was a good friend of Shelby due to his interest and collecting of racing posters.  2 significant events to happen in his life was as a child, he witnessed the D-Day invasion at Omaha Beach (in fact it sounds like he was right in the middle of it) and then in 1955, was a Lemans when the car flipped into the crowd killing 85 people and seriously injuring many more.  He was so close that the man next to him was decapitated from metal debrix from the flipped car.  He died several years back.
Why Grelley's name was included on the tapestry is unknown to me.  Perhaps others may know more details.

Dave in Fairmount, IN
Hometown of James

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »

[/quote]I have that 4X6 size. I bought it new about 15 + years ago out of someones catalog to hang on the wall . I used to small clips to attach to the edge of one end so that I could hang it on the wall. No it probably does not have anymore value (if that) then when I bought it new which in 150.00 range I think. No I don't want to sell it.
[/quote]

Hi Bob,
Well, I ended up with the 4x6' Shelby tapestry from my friend.  So, now I need to ask you how you mounted it, hardware you may have used, etc.
Whenever you have time, please let me know your experience in putting it up.
Mny Tnx
Dave w9ocm

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 11:02:12 PM »
   Bill Neale was the artist for Shelby.  He did another painting for Shelby that is of a 427 Cobra as well as his interest in the Terlingua racing program...lives in Texas.
Bill Neal was a freelance artist and friend of Shelbys. He did many Shelby related pictures starting with CS driving the Masaratti. I'd say there are probably 40-50 things he produced with SA as the theme. In the old pre revised history days the Terlingua Team (and chili cookoff)was his idea during a beer filled evening. He had loaned the Terlingua team logo to the Terlingua Preservation Soc. That ended last year and they created a new logo. I've heard he is in poor health now.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless