Author Topic: Tachometer compatability  (Read 207 times)

Dunerider777

• View Profile
Tachometer compatability
« on: February 10, 2019, 05:38:54 PM »
I have just got 6s1164 back running again. All the gauges are working except the tach. When we rebuilt the motor we decider to put a pertronix module in the distributor instead of the dual points. I have seen where some say that the tach will not work with pertronix and that it will. Looking for a definitive answer. Thank you.

1967 eight barrel

• View Profile
Re: Tachometer compatability
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
Yes, they will work with the tach.  Which Pertronix are you running?  I had the same issue with my 1967 Shelby and the factory tach with a Pertronix II.  If you want me to walk you through it, PM me.
                                                                                           -Keith
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
"If It's Not Boeing, I'm Not Going!"

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:41:41 PM »
6S550 has had a Pertronix on it for a couple of years with no problems. If I did any rewiring, it had to be at the distributor. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »
No issues if it's wired properly.  I've had a pertronix in 6S1575 for about 15 years.

1967 eight barrel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:51:30 PM »
You forget there are three different Pertronix units. The II and the III will not work with a tach without running an additional lead. As a matter of fact the Pertronix I usually causes incorrect readings or a non-functional tach on current sensing tachs that Ford used. The instuctions that come with the Pertronix are not compatible with factory tach vehicles period.
                                                                                    -Keith
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
"If It's Not Boeing, I'm Not Going!"

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 10:58:36 PM »
Your comments reminded me that the instructions I used to install mine, were instructions I got from the guy the rebuilt my tach when I told him I was going to switch to the pertronix unit - not the pertronix instructions.   It's been a while.