Author Topic: two speed rear  (Read 5685 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: two speed rear
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 08:19:28 AM »
As far as I know, that prototype '69 Eliminator has not surfaced so far.

Besides the Dana-Spicer two speed rear axle, the molded in rear spoiler, the Torque-Thrusts and the paint also didn't make it to production.

Mercury branded that rear end as "Streep", for street and strip and they launched a whole "Streep Scene" marketing campaign around that, creating a logo and some of the wildest and best advertising materials of the late '60s.

So I would think that that two speed rear axle was seriously planned for production up until the very end - to late to alter the marketing campaign.

Phillip

Where was it photographed? LA? Detroit? That might be a hint at where to look for it? It's quite a package and I'd guess that the rear put too much onto the cost to seriously be considered for production? At this point though, I'd lean to making it an IRS with the two speed. Kick it up a click or two? Rear discs too.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »
     Back in the day, we used the Hone-O-Drive (attached directly to the differential) in the '70 GT500 w/ 4.88's, and it was great for the dual purpose function, but, it also proved to be the weak link in the drive train when coupled to the 461 cu. in. Tunnel Port w/ the 12' x 29" Hoosier dirt tires.    :o   Therefore, if attending a track event we would swap-out the differential for a non-Hone equipped unit.  I suspect that this may also have been a concern with the proposed 2-speed unit, as the compact dimensional  requirements would possibly have compromised strength requirements. And of coarse, costs & marketability considerations.    :-\

Scott.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
I just happened to notice the profile on the rear tires on the car. Those look like the equivalent of what I've got on my 68, which are 295-50-15's. You can get them in with room like that to the fender if the banjo is narrowed.

I've got a Lincoln Versailles in the back because of the disc brakes and I think it is 3 inches narrower then the stock 68 housing. That sets the tires in like that. It looks so stock, few even notice. I think that's very trick. VERY interesting car. I wonder if that's a Kar Kraft creation?

It looks like the same color as the Coralsnake? Could Pete live with that?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:51:26 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 06:28:58 PM »

Besides the Dana-Spicer two speed rear axle, the molded in rear spoiler, the Torque-Thrusts and the paint also didn't make it to production.

Mercury branded that rear end as "Streep", for street and strip and they launched a whole "Streep Scene" marketing campaign around that, creating a logo and some of the wildest and best advertising materials of the late '60s.

So I would think that that two speed rear axle was seriously planned for production up until the very end - to late to alter the marketing campaign.

Phillip

Where was it photographed? LA? Detroit? That might be a hint at where to look for it? It's quite a package and I'd guess that the rear put too much onto the cost to seriously be considered for production? At this point though, I'd lean to making it an IRS with the two speed. Kick it up a click or two? Rear discs too.

The Cougar prototype photo were taken in Dearborn in Ford's proving grounds.
Since DST (Detroit Steel Tubing) appear to have worked on the '69 Boss 302, I would suspect they also did this '69 Eliminator.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 07:00:16 PM »

Phillip

The Cougar prototype photo were taken in Dearborn in Ford's proving grounds.
Since DST (Detroit Steel Tubing) appear to have worked on the '69 Boss 302, I would suspect they also did this '69 Eliminator.

It's a great car. I'd have bought it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!