Author Topic: Shopping for a Daily Driver - What would you get?  (Read 7835 times)

68countrysedan

• View Profile
Re: Shopping for a Daily Driver - What would you get?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 12:34:45 PM »
Old School: Ford 1990 LTD Crown Victoria station wagon (not the Country Squire)

New School: Ford Flex

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 12:48:38 PM »
I have a Jeep Trackhawk as my DD.  707hp.  0-60 in 3.3 sec.  1/4 mile in 11.5 sec/117 mph. 
Handles and stops great. 
Looks enough like a regular Grand Cherokee to be a bit stealthy.
I love smoking Teslas with it.

+1!!! I don't have one but looks like a ton of fun and functional being an SUV
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2019, 06:05:52 PM »
69 Mustang “E”  ;)

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »
I have a Jeep Trackhawk as my DD.  707hp.  0-60 in 3.3 sec.  1/4 mile in 11.5 sec/117 mph. 
Handles and stops great. 

I think that even the "lowly" SRT Grand Cherokee ("only" 475 hp) would be a blast, and very functional as well as pretty stealthy. I like an SUV for my DD, one of those would be near the top of the list (if it was remotely feasible for my situation).
I met a guy at a show this summer who had a 900 hp Trackhawk, he indicated a few bolt-ons a tune  :o
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2019, 07:50:18 PM »
Handles and stops great. 

I think that even the "lowly" SRT Grand Cherokee ("only" 475 hp) would be a blast, and very functional as well as pretty stealthy. I like an SUV for my DD, one of those would be near the top of the list (if it was remotely feasible for my situation).
I met a guy at a show this summer who had a 900 hp Trackhawk, he indicated a few bolt-ons a tune  :o

I owned a Grand Cherokee SRT before getting the Trackhawk, and it's definitely quick and stealthy. 0-60 in 4.7 sec. 
(Sorry to all my Ford friends for loving a Jeep!~!)
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 09:27:54 AM »
I have started shopping for a daily driver. I've decided to keep my old 7.3 Super Duty instead of getting a new one, and get a coupe......."

so the old American iron is not a consideration ?

What part of the country do you live in ?  How much winter you have to put up with might be an influence on the decision.

You are asking a bunch of not quite normal people for opinions on a personal type decision. I don't know how useful these replies will be beyond entertainment value. For example, up to last year, my daily drivers have all been Classics.

In one of the nations worst cities for traffic, Austin Texas, I drove a '66 Ford Mustang GT fastback for 6 years as my daily driver. It was 100% stock with an automatic C-4 and A/C. It was one of my best daily drivers ever, in over a 50+ year span of being a licensed driver.

Also had '66 GT-350's as daily drivers, '66 Ford Galaxie 2 door hardtops, and a '67 Ford Mustang GT Coupe. All of those in recent times. In the past my daily drivers were a couple of Jaguar e types, and several TR-4a's . I took all of those cars everywhere local, and numerous cross-country trips as well. Never any issues with reliability or safety.  In fact, up until January 2018, I've never even owned a car for a daily driver that was manufactured after 1973.  So if you are tough enough, or crazy enough, going for the old iron is completely do-able.  Do it while you still can.

In deference to my advancing years and crumbling joints, I finally went modern, modern by my standards, and now my daily driver is an '02 Jaguar XRR. Probably too fast for my old reflexes.

Z
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:29:59 AM by zray »

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »
Hey Z,

Yes, I live outside Austin. You and I crossed paths at David Kees once I think. I leave the old iron home now. I need something to go from here to Dallas and back reliably, with possibly some warranty. The replies have provided some options I have not thought of, so I appreciate everyone’s response.  Rick.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 10:19:55 AM »
Hey Z,

Yes, I live outside Austin. You and I crossed paths at David Kees once I think. I leave the old iron home now. I need something to go from here to Dallas and back reliably, with possibly some warranty. ...."

thats a helluva commute on a pretty scary stretch of I-35, seemingly always under construction.  I just drove it Sunday and Monday, going down to Austin from NE Oklahoma for my annual physical.  Lots of white knuckle parts with no shoulder and  the concrete barriers making the lanes too narrow for my liking. The best strategy I found was to try and do all the passing where the big rigs are concerned, just thread the needle and punch it.   When they do the passing, they take forever and one gets the feeling they've forgotten I'm in the adjacent lane being sandwiched  between a rock and a hard place.

So given your commute, I suggest getting a car with the best 55 to 100 mph acceleration you can find. Preferably something with a supercharger.   Outstanding brakes are a plus of course, but if the guy behind you doesn't have equally good braking, your great brakes become a liability.  So gobs of acceleration is your go-to survival tool on I-35.

Z.

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 11:16:27 AM »
keep in mind if you get an awd car from ford / You must replace tires in sets of 4 / if you damage 0ne  you get to buy four! Or.....in 1000 miles you will be replacing the power takeoff unit on  trans $2500 and 4 tires . I personally would   stay away from turbo cars if looking for long term replacement . over 100 k miles  3.5 ecoboosts usually need timing chains at around 70 k..... and 1.5 1.6  ecoboosts are just junk . burned pistons , timing off / bent valves / (no keyway in crank shaft to hold crank sprocket in time! ) relies on torque to keep it in place .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2019, 01:24:38 PM »
keep in mind if you get an awd car from ford / You must replace tires in sets of 4 / if you damage 0ne  you get to buy four! Or.....in 1000 miles you will be replacing the power takeoff unit on  trans $2500 and 4 tires . I personally would   stay away from turbo cars if looking for long term replacement . over 100 k miles  3.5 ecoboosts usually need timing chains at around 70 k..... and 1.5 1.6  ecoboosts are just junk . burned pistons , timing off / bent valves / (no keyway in crank shaft to hold crank sprocket in time! ) relies on torque to keep it in place .

:-\

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2019, 01:26:47 PM »

So given your commute, I suggest getting a car with the best 55 to 100 mph acceleration you can find. Preferably something with a supercharger.   Outstanding brakes are a plus of course, but if the guy behind you doesn't have equally good braking, your great brakes become a liability.  So gobs of acceleration is your go-to survival tool on I-35.

Z.

+1

I think the 2013-2014 GT500's are underrated. Fantastic cars.

Super low mile cars can be had at $15-$20K off MSRP.

Especially if you are hanging on to the SUPERDUTY.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »
Going from a 7.3 F series to a more comfortable/practical daily driver? I went to a fully loaded Flex. Don’t laugh......best car I have bought and enjoyed driving for hours at a time....
We did this too. Yeah it's a station wagon but scoots pretty good even without a turbo. I agree the Limited is the way to go. Use the clubs X plan deal.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless