News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

16 inch vs 15 inch wood steering wheels

Started by BGlover67, February 12, 2019, 01:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

I recently picked up a '65 GT convertible for some summer fun, and I wanted to install a Moto-Lita wood rimmed steering wheel to match what came on a '65 GT350.  Am I correct in saying that it first came as a 16 inch diameter size but was then changed to a 15 inch?  How late into production did that occur?  Lastly, a question for anyone who owns a car with a 16 inch wheel installed.  Is it less practical  than the smaller size?  I can only imagine that getting in and out of the car might be hindered by the increase in size.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CharlesTurner

Info is in the registry...  ;) ;)

Sequence:
16" with slots
15" with holes
15" with slots
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shlby66

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 12, 2019, 01:20:42 PM
Am I correct in saying that it first came as a 16 inch diameter size but was then changed to a 15 inch?    I can only imagine that getting in and out of the car might be hindered by the increase in size.

Yes, the first 130 or so, GT-350's came with the 16" Cobra steering wheel.

The first '65 GT-350 that I saw back then, with that 16" Cobra steering wheel, just looked, "right".

So, I've had one, on my '66 Shelby, for almost 28 years now and I love it. I have no trouble getting
     in or out of the car or driving/shifting gears. And steering, is a little easier during parking.

Doug 

tesgt350

I recently picked up a '65 GT convertible for some summer fun, and I wanted to install a Moto-Lita wood rimmed steering wheel to match what came on a '65 GT350.  Am I correct in saying that it first came as a 16 inch diameter size but was then changed to a 15 inch?  How late into production did that occur?  Lastly, a question for anyone who owns a car with a 16 inch wheel installed.  Is it less practical  than the smaller size?  I can only imagine that getting in and out of the car might be hindered by the increase in size.

Practical?  Depends on the size of your Belly.............. ::)

BGlover67

Quote from: shlby66 on February 12, 2019, 05:16:24 PM
Am I correct in saying that it first came as a 16 inch diameter size but was then changed to a 15 inch?    I can only imagine that getting in and out of the car might be hindered by the increase in size.

Yes, the first 130 or so, GT-350's came with the 16" Cobra steering wheel.

The first '65 GT-350 that I saw back then, with that 16" Cobra steering wheel, just looked, "right".

So, I've had one, on my '66 Shelby, for almost 28 years now and I love it. I have no trouble getting
     in or out of the car or driving/shifting gears. And steering, is a little easier during parking.

Doug

Thanks Doug, it's always good to hear from folks who actually have a wheel in that diameter.  I see that Moto-Lita stills makes something that resembles the original in 16 inches:

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering-wheels/ac-cobra-oem-wood-rim-split-centre/

I'm sure the wood rim is a bit thicker, the repo's always seem to have that issue (not sure why that is)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative